Just finished a new basement HT and my existing 7.1 setup needs a subwoofer makeover.
- ~380 sq.ft. / ~3050 cu.ft./, “L” shaped basement HT, with projection screen, mains, center and sub near the corner of the L.
- Using a Velodyne SPL-1000 II currently, with an Integra DHC-80.2 preamp, Parasound 5250 amps, Monitor Audio GR 60’s, LCR and GSFXs.
- 60/40 movies/music
The SPLII does well at mid-volume with clean musical bass, but struggles with louder movie tracks in the new space. WAF precludes house shaking sound, but I still want smooth, loud(er), and accurate bass.
Budget is ~$1k for sub “improvement”.
1) One or two subs (leaning towards 2, particularly for an odd shaped room with challenging response characteristics)? I’m also working on bass traps and treatments.
2) Replace the SPL II or try to add a used one? Are there any current models that might be a good match (Velo Optimum 10”)? Not sure I want to go with 2x 10” subs . . .
3) For new subs, was looking at:
- Dayton Audio kits: T1504K, RS1202K
- PSA XS30
- Other suggestions?
4) Ported or sealed (leaning towards sealed from experience, but open minded)?
Lots of questions, all advice welcome.