which SVS PB 1000 or PB 2000 be better suited for a 2025 cu ft room? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am into 70% music and 30% HT. My room is 15'x15'x 9' or 2025 cu ft which opens up to the dining room and kitchen. Which SVS PB 1000 or PB 2000 is
better suited for the room? I like the bass for my music to be tight, clean and non-boomy and for watching movies, I like to experience the wall shaking sensations. Is there such a thing like too much bass or bass overkill or the more bass the better? If I pick the PB 2000, will the bass be too overwhelming? If so, would the bass be distorted and bloated when listening to music? Thanks for all your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Buy the best sub you can afford and fit in your room. You can always turn it down if it's too loud.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamptons View Post

... Is there such a thing like too much bass or bass overkill or the more bass the better? ...

There is no such thing as too much bass capability.  The better the subwoofer, the louder it can play, and the louder it can play without audible distortion, and the deeper and wider the frequency response.

If your budget and room allows it, go for the best.

As for how loud it will be in your room, if you have a properly functioning automatic setup that you use, the level will be right no matter what subwoofer you buy.  But the better the subwoofer, the deeper the bass that it can reproduce, and the flatter the frequency response, and the louder it can play.

The worst that will happen if you buy a subwoofer that is better than it needs to be is that you will be poorer by the amount extra you paid for it over the one that would have been just good enough.  It will not degrade the sound in any way to have a better subwoofer.

oneeyeblind likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 801
If your dining and kitchen areas add on another 2000 cubic feet or more, than I would definitely go for the PB-2000 for the extra output. smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in a sort of similar situation (hope I'm not hijacking hampton's thread too much)...

I have a 2090 cu ft enclosed movie room being planned (19 L x 11 W x 10 H) and I'm confused whether to spend a bit more and go dual PB-1000's or just get a single PB-2000.

If ever, placement of dual subs will be in front of viewing position as I'm using the longer wall for projector screen. Is a dual sub set up recommended in my case? My dealer thinks I should go dual PB-1000's instead of single PB-2000.

Is PB really better than comparable SB sub? My dealer says that it's 2x better if for home theater use. But an SVS associate thinks both SB or PB will be ok since I'll be using the subs in an enclosed room and SB can take advantage of available "room gain" (not sure what it means).

What do you think? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_kills View Post
I'm in a sort of similar situation (hope I'm not hijacking hampton's thread too much)...

I have a 2090 cu ft enclosed movie room being planned (19 L x 11 W x 10 H) and I'm confused whether to spend a bit more and go dual PB-1000's or just get a single PB-2000.

If ever, placement of dual subs will be in front of viewing position as I'm using the longer wall for projector screen. Is a dual sub set up recommended in my case? My dealer thinks I should go dual PB-1000's instead of single PB-2000.

Is PB really better than comparable SB sub? My dealer says that it's 2x better if for home theater use. But an SVS associate thinks both SB or PB will be ok since I'll be using the subs in an enclosed room and SB can take advantage of available "room gain" (not sure what it means).

What do you think? Thanks!
This thread is a year old, so you're not hijacking anything .

Your dealer knows his stuff. Usually, two subs are better than one in that it allows you the chance to smooth out room modes at the listening position, providing you with smoother bass over a wider area. It also gives you around 3 dB more output than a single sub of the same model. If you do not have room mode problems at your listening position with one sub, it is always better to go with a more powerful sub.

In general, ported subs are better for movies as they have greater output around its tuning port. Sealed designs are more compact and many prefer them with music (although it's debatable if sealed is really better for music). Both sealed and ported take advantage of cabin gain. It's just that sealed design benefits more from the phenomenon because sealed designs have a more gentle rolloff (usually 12 dB/octave vs. 24 dBs).

All that being said, once you get in the price range of the PB-2000, you have several excellent alternatives (Hsu, Reaction Audio and PSA). I'd take a look at what each company offers and speak to the designers/owners.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:36 PM

To add to my dilemma, my dealer is even suggesting to go dual PB-2000 as there's no such thing as going over. And by having better quality equipment from the start, I get a cleaner sound without overwhelming vocals or dialogue.

I like the idea of the PB's power but as I'm new to HT, I haven't gotten over aesthetics of massive looking subs yet .

Anyways, I'll be watching the threads closely to see which route to take when decision time comes (house is still months away).

Thanks for the advice dsrussell!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Again, your dealer is providing good advice. Luckily, you will only have a medium size room to fill and I tend to recommend getting one sub first so you will know how that performs in your room. It could be that one is all you need, so why spend almost double the money for a second? If you feel you do need a second because you are having problems getting good bass at your listening position, you'll know within the trial period and can add a second when funds are available (I believe SVS offers a discount if you buy the second sub within a year).

Here are some of the other subs that you may want to look at (they too offer discounts on the second sub within a certain time frame … like 30 days, so it's not nearly as generous a time frame as SVS):

Hsu: VTF-3 Mk5 HP (15-inch ported design) @ $799 ($89 shipping): http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html Yes, with shipping it's $88 more than the PB-2000 but it is really impressive. If, for some odd reason you don't like the sub, return shipping is also on you.

PSA: XS15se (15-inch sealed design) @ $799 (includes shipping both ways): http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle...roducts/xs15se Like SVS, you get free shipping back to their facility if you're not happy.

Reaction Aucio: S-15 (15-inch sealed design) @ $650 (includes shipping): http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...aled-subwoofer
V-15 (15-inch ported design) @ $750 (includes shipping): http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/.../products/v-15
PS-15x (15-inch sealed design) @ $800 (includes shipping): http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/...aled-subwoofer Reaction Audio ships free to your home, but you pay shipping back if you're not satisfied.

Any of the above would be impressive for your needs (some more than others). You just have to take a look at their websites, go over the specs, sizes, weights and warranties.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have the pb2000 it rocks u cant go wrong with it. With the pb1000 its a bit of compromise if it did lack output on that room. Make sureu do the sub crawl.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 AM

dsrussell, let me check the brands you just mentioned if they are available in my market...

I almost forgot to mention that PB-2000 pricing here is almost double the PB-1000. It's one of the reasons why I was considering whether to go dual PB-1000's over a single PB-2000.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Oh, oh. Where do you live?

Old Today, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_kills View Post
I almost forgot to mention that PB-2000 pricing here is almost double the PB-1000. It's one of the reasons why I was considering whether to go dual PB-1000's over a single PB-2000.
Since your post is a bit old, I hope I'm not too late, but I just talked to an SVS rep the other day asking the same question. He said that dual PB-1000's blow away a single PB-2000, and that setup sounds fantastic. Now dual PB-2000s? YEAH!

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb2000