I need wiring advice for two passive subs and one iNUKE amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I own two MFW-15 sub-woofers, and (surprise!) the amps in both of them are now kaput. I recently converted one of the MFW-15s into a passive sub by gutting/bypassing the amp and adding a new set of binding posts. That worked well, but the extra amp I had lying around is too small and is pretty easy to drive into clipping. So, I just ordered a Behringer iNUKE NU3000, with the intention of converting my other MFW-15 to passive, and driving both the subs with the Behringer. I'm trying to figure out what sorts of interconnects I'm going to need once the amp gets here.

The subwoofer input source will be my Denon AVR. That has a single RCA output. I've purchased an RCA-to-XLR cable from Monoprice, so that should get a signal to one of the iNUKE's inputs. Is there an amp setting that allow me to get an identical signal from both of the amp's outputs? Or, do I need to split the signal and send it to both of the amp's inputs? The Behringer has some sort of "mono" mode, but I'm not sure what that actually means. (I can't find an online manual for any of the iNUKE products. The .pdfs download corrupted and unreadable.)

Ideally, I'd be able to connect that single XLR into one of the amp's two inputs (either "A" or "B"), and connect one sub to each of the amp's two outputs. Is that supported?

Moving on to the output side of things: This will be my first experience with "Speakon" connectors. Ideally, I like to make/use two short cables to go from the amp to the subs. Speakon connectors on one end of the cables, and banana plugs on the other end. I bought a 25-foot Speakon-to-Speakon cable which I was hoping I could just cut in half, add banana plugs, and have the two cables I actually need. However, I'm somewhat baffled by how Behringer has wired the output connectors on their amps. The whole "+1, +2, -1, -2" thing. Looking at the diagram on the back of the amp, it almost looks like the "A" and "B" connectors are wired differently. Hopefully, I'm reading that wrong. Bafflingly, it looks like there's two different "legends" for channel B. Or, is it possible that cable I bought will Just Work no matter what, since it's a 2-conductor cable with 4NL ends? Probably not. I'm quite confused.

Anyway, is anyone else running a similar set-up? I'd love to hear how you wired it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've never used the dual-mono mode, but it stands to reason that dual-mono will send a single input to both channels. If you needed to split the signal and put it on both inputs, then there would be no need for a dual-mono mode.

Yeah, the wiring info on the back panel is rather cryptic, but the top box is for wiring the CH A Speakon for two channel operation (the CH A connector can carry the wiring for both channels when using a 4-pole connector) or bridged mono operation.

Just use 1+ and 1- on both channels. IOW, cut the pre-made in half, strip the insulation and put on your bananas.
Interesting that your cable has 4-pole connectors with 2 conductor wire. Best open them up and look then. Make sure the wiring is correct.

These images might help explain:

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Is there an amp setting that allow me to get an identical signal from both of the amp's outputs?

You can do that With Bi-Amp 1 mode. It will take input into Channel A and output identical signal to both Channel A and B.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 135
If you are going to use the I Nuke 3000 DSP. Only use the Bridge mode. I am assuming you have speaker post on both subs. If the woofers in the sub are 8 Ohm, then connect the a wire from sub 1 to sub 2 in parallel. Then put a 4 prong neutrik connector on the main wire from sub 1 or 2 and connect that to channel A (not B) . Look on the back of the amp to see how to connect the wires for bridge mode. It is right under channel A on the back of the amp. Then run you sub cable from the avr to the Behringer amp. You will need and xlr adapter sold at Radio Shack for around $4.00. This will allow the sub cable to be connected to input A (not B and not A/B) this is important.

Now in the GUI, set the amp to bridge mode and a 4 ohm load and go from there. If the woofer are 4 ohm, then wire them in series and in the GUI, set the load to 8 ohm. I have used these amps extensively for subwoofer setup. The stereo and dual mono mode will only deliver 1/4 to 1/3 the power of bridge mode. The manual say in bridge mode the equal output to Ch. A and B, this is not true with non- pro gear. There is an extensive guide to using the I Nuke 3000 DSP on the Chane Music and Cinema sit under the subwoofer forum. http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/forum/showthread.php?47461-derrickdj1-guide-for-the-Inuke-series-of-amplifiers-with-CHT-subs

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #5 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248
You will need to set a high pass filter for your sub's to protect them from over excursion. I don't know where they are tuned at but the inuke DSP can set one at 20hz.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
iNuke dsp models have floating point HPF that can be set anywhere above 20Hz. You can't set it below 20Hz but there is a way to circumvent that.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page