Suggestions for a SUB in the 800-1200 price range. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Because rythmik still back ordered! No available at the moment as per the website! Btw what is the servo means from the rythmik?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Because rythmik still back ordered! No available at the moment as per the website! Btw what is the servo means from the rythmik?

Go to their website... I think all of these subs have some sort of proprietary gizmo like this... Does it make a big difference? ymmv...

I'd order the HSU vTF2

Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:

Btw what is the servo means from the rythmik?

"Direct Servo"
caloyzki likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. But I read the hsu vtf2 they always mentioned that the sub is good for music. They even didnt mention anything about ht, which is my big concern too.i never listen to any music.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Did any of the reviews say, this is a music sub, not a HT sub? Or did they say, this sub is great at music and leave it at that. Because it is possible to be good at both, and most quality HT subs can pull of music as well. The reviewers might just be music first reviewers... think about it...

Look, none of these subs are exclusively 'music subs." "A music only, or music first" sub typically has an early roll off, The HSU does not... Also, a typical audiophile's music only/first sub will usually cost more than $600, and usually not be sold internet direct. 

Trust me, the HSU VTF 2 will give you the same, if not better HT performance than the Outlaw or the Rythmik. Check out their Freq/SPL graphs on each site, the VTF2 is the only one that hits 20hz before any significant roll off. That's a HUGE benefit for HT.

For what it's worth I don't think any one of them are any better than the other two at music either.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks. But I read the hsu vtf2 they always mentioned that the sub is good for music. They even didnt mention anything about ht, which is my big concern too.i never listen to any music.

I'm no good for helping you. I came here, like most with a $600 - $900 USD budget, with the misconception that reference level capable systems were nuts. A year and a half later, I find up in possession of a full on, continuous reference level system.

The point, you're gonna have to chose what you're gonna choose and be happy and just saying, if you don't choose wisely, you're going find yourself standing in the upgrade line.

...wink.gif
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM

http://www.hsuresearch.com/reviews/homeTheaterMagHb1ReviewMar2007.pdf

This is about the HSU home theater set with the VTF-2, and only covers HT.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/reviews/vtf2mk4WSR-177.pdf

This review is HT centered. 

Old 02-04-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

OK thanks for the review too. Now this two subs im considering vtf and rythmik. My question what will be the disadvantage of the dual port for vtf and single port for the lv12r? Do I get benefit putting port plugs? And also vtf has some features that some sub dont have what are there use?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

OK thanks for the review too. Now this two subs im considering vtf and rythmik. My question what will be the disadvantage of the dual port for vtf and single port for the lv12r? Do I get benefit putting port plugs? And also vtf has some features that some sub dont have what are there use?

The VTF features start with the dual port/ single port/ sealed options. You can pick the one you like best during your set up.

There is also an EQ setting, and Q setting, those can also help you tweak the sound to your liking. If you want to know EXACTLY what they do, download the instruction manual. It's got a full description of each. Basically you've got a kaleidoscope of options you can end up with, and it's very nice to have the additional tweaking. 

There's really no disadvantage to the dual port, and VTF features.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

There's really no disadvantage to the dual port, and VTF features.

My understanding, the dual ports deals with chuffing issues. The more ports plugged the more it acts like a sealed subwoofer so it digs deeper but at the expense of output.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

My understanding, the dual ports deals with chuffing issues. The more ports plugged the more it acts like a sealed subwoofer so it digs deeper but at the expense of output.

Port noise can happen in many ported subs at the price point. I think that one of the other VTF features can iron them out, but ymmv. In any case, a lot of folks run two ports and don't have, or have minimum chuffing. I do know that HSU has great customer service and they can help you with any issues like this.

That said, most folks do go one port plugged, but Q, and EQ vary based off listeners taste. 

Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Port noise can happen in many ported subs at the price point.

Absolutely but my comment is intended to deal with the ability of the sub to expel the air and if the ports are too small, at loud volumes, one will have chuffing issues. Plug up one of two ports and one increases the chances of having chuffing issues.

As to EQ'g a system, just saying, I have no taste. We use an AVR provided EQ system, coupled with REW to get the best flat graph our untreated room can offer.

-
Old 02-04-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Does anybody have any experience with the PSA SX30, and I have seen mostly references to ported subs. Is there a benefit to ported over sealed for HT. 

My inner child wants a 15" sub lol, this makes me wonder if 2x 12''s would really be a better choice over a larger sub and possibly something like the X30's having dual subs in a single box?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Hanson View Post

Does anybody have any experience with the PSA SX30, and I have seen mostly references to ported subs. Is there a benefit to ported over sealed for HT.

It will all depend on the cuft size of the room and what your expectations are.

The general rule of thumb:

Sealed for small rooms and music.

Ported for large rooms and home theater; output.

With room/cabin gain, sealed subs will dig deeper and although ported doesn't dig as deep, they make up for this fact with more output.

Quote:
My inner child wants a 15" sub lol, this makes me wonder if 2x 12''s would really be a better choice over a larger sub and possibly something like the X30's having dual subs in a single box?

What are your expectations and how deep our your pockets? In the end, it's all about what you want and how many Benjamins one has to throw at the problem.

-
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:

Ported subs generally have more output down low neat their port tuning. A dual driver sealed sub like the XS30 will have more output in the mid bass or even starting at about 30hz or so. Sealed subs in small sealed rooms can have nice room gain and have greater low end extension than a ported sub in the same room. But the room needs to be on the small side and be able to be sealed off.

For your use one large or a pair of ported subs would IMO be the best choice.

Pair of SVS PB12-NSD for $1299 shipped with free return shipping if you don't like them (you will) and 5 year warranty.

Pair of HSU VTF2 MK4s about $1200.

Pair Rythmik LVR-12 for $1200 if available.

Pair of SVS PB1000s for $949- a good deal and would work well in your room.

Pair of SVS SB2000 for $1299 (sealed 12" subs)

Pair of PSA XV or XS 15s around $1500 shipped

These are new and if your jonesing for 15" subs here's 4 for $1549.
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/blogs/news/11748777-bps-215-pre-order-news-and-new-pricing-for-dual-subwoofers

Single PC12 Plus for $1199 or $1049 outlet if available.

HSU HTF15- around $1000 shipped.

Rythmik FV15HP $1296 shipped to lower 47. Shipping within TX is less.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

The best of both worlds. We have a pair of these subs and properly dialed in, we're flat to 11Hz. If you will, the best of both worlds; output and with authority, depth of extension.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I have noticed threads get side tracked a bit :P

I am the original poster so top of page one has room size/ expectations/ budget.

I will note that I have been leaning fairly heavy for the rythmik fv15hp> hus ULS 15> PSA SX30> PSA VX15> PSA SX15.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:

I am the original poster so top of page one has room size/ expectations/ budget.

I will note that I have been leaning fairly heavy for the rythmik fv15hp> hus ULS 15> PSA SX30> PSA VX15> PSA SX15.

Yep, threads do indeed get a bit sidetracked from time to time. Your room is small enough where one subwoofer "should" do the trick, provided you don't have nasty nulls and peaks in all the wrong places. Any of the subs you've listed should do wonders in that sized room. I've heard nothing but great things about the Rythmik (but never auditioned one). I own the PSA XS30 and auditioned the Hsu ULS-15. Both are excellent subwoofers. I haven't heard the other PSA products you listed, but if the XS30 is any indication, they should be excellent as well.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Your above is funny. My path was the opposite: Hsu ULS-15 > SVS PC12-Plus > PSA XV15 > PSA XS30 > Rythmik FV15HP. tongue.gif
Old 02-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:

I'd narrow it down to 

HSU ULS 15 for Sealed

PSA VX15 for ported. 

Old 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd narrow it down to 

HSU ULS 15 for Sealed

PSA VX15 for ported. 

And if I had to narrow it down from that list, it would be the following:

Ported = Rythmik FV15HP (it did amazingly well at one of the subwoofer shootouts)
Sealed = PSA XS30

I thought the ULS-15 was surprisingly good, especially considering how small it is compared to the XS30. Although I didn't audition these two at the same time (I auditioned the Hsu ULS-15 and the SVS SB13-Ultra at the same time), I give a solid nod to the XS30 over the Hsu.

Different strokes, I guess… smile.gif Hey, that's why picking out a subwoofer is so difficult.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post

Ported = Rythmik FV15HP (it did amazingly well at one of the subwoofer shootouts)

In single port mode, the FV15HP acts much like a sealed sub and in our 3300^3 room, with openings to large spaces, the pair measures down to 11Hz and we get full on, continuous reference level play as opposed to simple peak reference output.

In my opinion, a pair of FV15HPs have monstrous levels of output.

(it would take five XS30s to best two FV15HPs at the lower 10Hz to 20Hz octave)

On it's own, the XS30 can dig much deeper and is no slouch in the upper, mid-bass slam arena. Unfortunately, like everything else, it's a trade off.

I'm a big fan of the PSA XS30 but for my needs, it would be too expensive because we'd need too many XS30s for reference level play in the lower octave.

...frown.gif

The ULF thread was the final decision maker as to what our choice was......like the wife could have cared. tongue.gif

In my opinion, although outside the OP's budget, hands down, a pair of FV15HPs is the best bang for buck, price/performance winner.

Eddie Money - "Think I'm In Love"

-
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

In single port mode, the FV15HP acts much like a sealed sub and in our 3300^3 room, with openings to large spaces, the pair measures down to 11Hz and we get full on, continuous reference level play as opposed to simple peak reference output.

In my opinion, a pair of FV15HPs have monstrous levels of output.

(it would take five XS30s to best two FV15HPs at the lower 10Hz to 20Hz octave)

On it's own, the XS30 can dig much deeper and is no slouch in the upper, mid-bass slam arena. Unfortunately, like everything else, it's a trade off.

I'm a big fan of the PSA XS30 but for my needs, it would be too expensive because we'd need too many XS30s for reference level play in the lower octave.

As I noted, I never got the chance to audition a Rythmik sub. It's been about 9 months since I viewed the subwoofer shootout that included the Rythmik. If memory serves me, it was the Rythmik that had people sit up and take notice for the first time in that shootout, and they ranked it highly. Of course it was JTR and Seaton that stole the show (as usual), but that says a lot about Rythmik. And in your case, with your room size, I'm sure it makes a big difference.

I did actually try to audition Rythmik's 15-inch sealed design, but it was on a 6 month back order, so it wasn't to be. No matter, I'm exceedingly happy with both my XS30 and SB13-u.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:

As I noted,...

My fault as I didn't note that my comment was intended to be an addendum to your response to ClawAndTalon and I failed to make this point. My apologies for the omission.

As to a shootout, I can't lay claim to depth of extension but output wise, I'd be happy to put two FV15HPs up against a single Seaton or S2 anytime, as long as I don't have to move our FV15HPs, to do so. In doing this dual vs single, one is getting a true price/performance comparison. If my budget could have handled it, which it can't, I would have opted for a pair of S2s.

Again, my apologies for the confusion I caused. Unfortunately, I'll do it again in the future so rest assured, I'll have my "mea culpa" at the ready.

-
Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

^^No mea culpa needed, Bee. I took no offense at all, just explaining my comments and why I would rank the Rythmik so high without really auditioning it. I'd also rank the Seatons and JTRs as probably top of the totem pole without auditioning them (same could be said about the Triax).

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

If memory serves me, it was the Rythmik that had people sit up and take notice for the first time in that shootout, and they ranked it highly. Of course it was JTR and Seaton that stole the show (as usual), but that says a lot about Rythmik.
IIRC, that GTG only had a single fv15hp and they had dual of the big boy JTR and Seaton running. Of course, a single FV15hp had no chance to compete. Jeff of JTR and Mark of Seaton almost always attend those GTG and always brought 2 of their bad boy subs. I have not seen Brian of Rythmik shows up in any of the GTG. I really want to see how one or two fv15hps go against one or two Submersive or Captivator in a GTG.
To the OP, there are lots of suggestions so far and it all depends how much you are willing to spend. Two drivers in a sub like the XS30 is still considered as ONE sub. I would suggest to go with dual subs (2 separate boxes). There are lots of good to great seal subs like Rythmik F15hp, F25, Submersive ,PSA Triax, JTR S2, etc...again, all depends on your budget. Most folks recommend port sub for movie. Speaking from my own experience, start with one best sub your budget allows now and add another when finance allows later.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Thanks for the clarification, Bassoholic. As I said it's been awhile since I read the article.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Can the  SVS PC12-Plus hang with the Rythmik FV15HP?

One of the things that has kinda kept SVS off of my list is the size of the drivers they use, I worry that a 12" driver cant move as much air and dig as deep as a 15" driver.

Should i not worry about this with my room size? "2100 cu-ft" I know SVS makes great subs, all I see is wonderful feedback about them but for my choice of use will it perform as well as the 15's in its price range?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM

Liked: 16
I do not own or listen to the pc12 plus, but I don't think it can be compared to the fv15hp. The fv15hps bests the pb13 ultra per Ricci's reported data at databass. It is not just the driver size that determines a sub is better. There are a lot more to it which I am not qualify to explain.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Where are you seeing this?

PSN: MightyMouse_879
XBL: Th3Chosen0ne

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4 , Rythmik Audio Lv12r , Svs Pb2000 , Svs , Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex , Xv15 , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Hsu Research , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Xs30 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Rythmik , Rythmik Audio