Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by in3rtia View Post

Does anyone have any experience EQing through REW with something like the EQ APO?

If that could save me a little bit of money without the need for more equipment, great.

I do. Actually, that's my post, so thanks.
I don't use xbmc, but I think, as the name implies, you need the APO interface for that particular program to work, but changing that is probably not a problem.
I use five filters plus a house curve.
Michael
Well then I know who to call with questions!

The first question I have deals with this statement:
Quote:
I don't use xbmc, but I think, as the name implies, you need the APO interface for that particular program to work, but changing that is probably not a problem.
Could you clarify that? Wouldn't the HTPC be the interface? If I understand it, I could run REW on the HTPC with my UMIK-1 mic (instead of running it from a laptop), load E-APO to adjust the EQ, and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 264
This (WASAPI) may be your only problem, about which I know nothing.
Otherwise, run REW on whatever you want, export the filters from REW into E-APO's config file, and recheck with REW.
PM me or check the REW thread if you have a problem. Jerry's guide will get you most of the way through.
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #93 of 100 Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was able to buy the following which has TONS of bells and whistles that I don't need but sonically it is excellent.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

I am using it only for the two subwoofers. All other equalization and adjustments for the other speakers are being done by Audyssey in the receiver. In your situation you would run the subwoofer output of your receiver into each channel of the Behringer. Doing this you can adjust levels and EQ for each subwoofer individually. It does do RTA but in your case I would use your REW measurements to adjust the subs with the Behringer.

I have not used the other two Behringer models so I cant tell you what they do and don't do but I do know you are looking for at least a couple of bands of parametric equalization with frequencies that can be finely adjusted.

Here is my original post after I added the EQ to my system.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511166/basement-bass-fixed-behringer-ultracurve-2496#post_24197547

Hope that helps.
post #94 of 100 Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am doing my room treatments myself and at this point I am about $250 into them. I bought 3 bags of ROXUL Safe n Sound 3" insulation bats. I am building a very large corner bass trap that visually wont cut it in most peoples homes. There are tons of great threads in the room treatments area.

There is even an awesome thread showing how people are making treatments with insulation batts like I bought and they have information for a company that screen prints fabric with user provided images that they are using to make the treatments look like art. It is really cool. I personally haven't put enough time in on the thread to understand how to process the image file but I plan to soon. The printing is really cheap and the information for the printer is in the thread.

Actually I found it...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap

Your not gonna believe how good some of these look.
post #95 of 100 Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

I was actually thinking about that, some of the stuff I've read and seen about bass traps just look like large fabric wrapped picture frames (I know it's more than that).
But I thought about fabric printing - I look forward to looking through those posts when I can. Thanks!
post #96 of 100 Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This (WASAPI) may be your only problem, about which I know nothing.
Otherwise, run REW on whatever you want, export the filters from REW into E-APO's config file, and recheck with REW.
PM me or check the REW thread if you have a problem. Jerry's guide will get you most of the way through.
Michael
XBMC has two settings for Audio when using HDMI... DirectSound and WASAPI.

From the XBMC Wiki:
Quote:
WASAPI Exclusive mode bypasses the Audio Mixer and thus the mixing/resampling layers of DirectSound so audio is passed-through as-is, this is why WASAPI should be used for encoded formats like DTS in order that they can reach the receiver unchanged for decoding there

I use WASAPI. Do you think using WASAPI would essentially bypass E-APO and whatever filters I apply wouldn't take effect?

I can play with the settings but I don't know if using DirectSound will result in a loss of quality or ability.
post #97 of 100 Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 264

Here you go:

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #98 of 100 Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess I need to try DirectSound when I get home and see if I notice any problems with music and movies.
post #99 of 100 Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by in3rtia View Post

XBMC has two settings for Audio when using HDMI... DirectSound and WASAPI.

From the XBMC Wiki:
I use WASAPI. Do you think using WASAPI would essentially bypass E-APO and whatever filters I apply wouldn't take effect?

I can play with the settings but I don't know if using DirectSound will result in a loss of quality or ability.
Quoted from the link: "After passing through WASAPI, all host-based audio processing, including custom audio processing, can take place (sample rate conversion, mixing, effects)."

It's a shame what your going thru and I hope you get it sorted out soon (hope they have a good RMA policy) but I highly doubt XBMC has anything to do with your issues.
post #100 of 100 Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Quoted from the link: "After passing through WASAPI, all host-based audio processing, including custom audio processing, can take place (sample rate conversion, mixing, effects)."

It's a shame what your going thru and I hope you get it sorted out soon (hope they have a good RMA policy) but I highly doubt XBMC has anything to do with your issues.

Oh no I don't think so either, those are just settings I'll have to mess with if I want to try and apply EQ with REW while playing files through XBMC. If I go with a feedback destroyer or other external EQ then I don't need to touch XBMC.

And yeah I probably won't mess with much until I get the 2nd VTF-15H back. It's still en route to HSU but so far so good with the RMA process.

Also, I think that quote only applies to WASAPI Shared Mode. The paragraph above it describing Exclusive Mode (which is the only mode XBMC uses) says that "unmixed audio streams are rendered directly to the audio adapter and no other application's audio will play and signal processing has no effect."
But I could be wrong, and I'm still left confused. The only way I'll be able to tell for sure is with before-and-after measurements when I can get around to it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page