Sub in a cabinet? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the general consensus of putting a sub (sealed or ported) inside a cabinet? I thought it was not a good idea, but a CS rep at a well-known and highly regarded company said it should not be an issue. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 484
If putting it inside a cabinet gives you the best overall response at the primary listening position, go for it! smile.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
I thought it was not a good idea, but a CS rep at a well-known and highly regarded company said it should not be an issue.

Hope he ain't from Def Tech cool.gif

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart123 View Post

Hope he ain't from Def Tech cool.gif

nope
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Anyway, it's a bad idea stashing your sub in a cabinet. It may look amazing nicely tucked in there but rare do aesthetics and performance go hand in hand. The cabinet resonance will mess up your sub's response.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

The best EQ is no EQ ...

Alpine SWR-1223D Slot Ported HT Sub

Dual Dayton RSS390HO-4 Reference 15 Build For HT

Main System: Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, RS-52 II, Onkyo 5010, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S300
post #6 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 92

Assuming that you have the sub, or can buy it from someone with an honest return policy. Try it out, then your question will be answered. 

Folks here have put their subs in closets, cabinets, under sofas, adjacent rooms, crawlspaces, attics, hallways, etc. all with varying effects. It might sound terrible, it might sound no different than your typical spot, and it might sound better. Anyone who says it'll be good or bad is working off pure assumption.  

The bottom-line; "Thou shall not place subwoofer in a cabinet" isn't in the subwoofer bible. 

Saturn94 likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What I'm hoping to do and it work well is buy 2 subs and figure out where on the front wall they sound best. Then build a wall to wall cabinet around them. Subs still on the floor not on the floor of the cabinet. Front ported captivators, svs ultra 13 or something like that. Y'all think that might work? I worry that once the cabinet is built around them they may change there sound...I'm hoping that since they are front firing and ported that it won't. I also worry the cabinet around them will vibrate so much it sounds like shat.

Thoughts???
post #8 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 166
The best thing to do to place your subwoofer is the "Subwoofer Crawl"! And if it sounds best when your head is in the cabinent listening when doing the crawl thats the spot.

People underestimate this silly little thing but it really works wonders
post #9 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolacls View Post

What I'm hoping to do and it work well is buy 2 subs and figure out where on the front wall they sound best. Then build a wall to wall cabinet around them. Subs still on the floor not on the floor of the cabinet. Front ported captivators, svs ultra 13 or something like that. Y'all think that might work? I worry that once the cabinet is built around them they may change there sound...I'm hoping that since they are front firing and ported that it won't. I also worry the cabinet around them will vibrate so much it sounds like shat.

Thoughts???

A few things... the firing direction, either down of front won't matter at all, as long as the cone has 2-3 inches clearance (or whatever the manufacturer says.) Since you're building the cabinet, that vibration aspect is all on you. Bass penetrates surfaces better than higher sounds, but depending on 1 jazillion variables, the difference the way the bass behaves in the cabinet sufaces could range from undetectable, to omg, that sounds like complete butt.  

If it were me I'd evaluate this cabinet's necessity first. Also, if you already have a sub, or will buy one anyways, DO A SUB CRAWL; use your google machine to get directions on this. If you haven't done this yet, your subs might be in completely the wrong place. 

I will say when people do a-typical sub placements it's usually as simple as moving it there, testing the sound, and either leaving the sub there or running over to move it back. I'd hate for you to build this cabinet all for not. 

post #10 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

A few things... the firing direction, either down of front won't matter at all, as long as the cone has 2-3 inches clearance (or whatever the manufacturer says.) Since you're building the cabinet, that vibration aspect is all on you. Bass penetrates surfaces better than higher sounds, but depending on 1 jazillion variables, the difference the way the bass behaves in the cabinet sufaces could range from undetectable, to omg, that sounds like complete butt.  

If it were me I'd evaluate this cabinet's necessity first. Also, if you already have a sub, or will buy one anyways, DO A SUB CRAWL; use your google machine to get directions on this. If you haven't done this yet, your subs might be in completely the wrong place. 

I will say when people do a-typical sub placements it's usually as simple as moving it there, testing the sound, and either leaving the sub there or running over to move it back. I'd hate for you to build this cabinet all for not. 

Thanks for the reply. I have not got the subs yet...I am familiar with the sub crawl and will do it again. The cabinet is kind of needed thing...this is going to be in my living room that doubles as the HT room (no choice). This cabinet is slated to be wall to wall and have the definitive technology UIW RLS II speakers built into the cabinet. So I was going to get the new subs...do the crawl and measurements to see where the subs should be...then have the cabinet built with cubbies for the subs to slide in....on the floor...and the front of them sticking out in front of the cabinetry. I am hoping that with a front firing/ported sub the bulk of the energy is coming from the front of the sub and not into the cabinet. Regardless the subs im looking at anyway are front facing. Would sealed subs be a better option than ported in this case?
post #11 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGT View Post

Thanks for the reply. I have not got the subs yet...I am familiar with the sub crawl and will do it again. The cabinet is kind of needed thing...this is going to be in my living room that doubles as the HT room (no choice). This cabinet is slated to be wall to wall and have the definitive technology UIW RLS II speakers built into the cabinet. So I was going to get the new subs...do the crawl and measurements to see where the subs should be...then have the cabinet built with cubbies for the subs to slide in....on the floor...and the front of them sticking out in front of the cabinetry. I am hoping that with a front firing/ported sub the bulk of the energy is coming from the front of the sub and not into the cabinet. Regardless the subs im looking at anyway are front facing. Would sealed subs be a better option than ported in this case?

Sealed or ported probably doesn't matter. The port does need 3" clearance though. Is there a reason why the sub needs to go on the front wall?

Also, call SVS, they are good at giving advice about this sort of thing. 

post #12 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM

3" of clearance...in front...sides too? Nothing will be blocking the ports...the front of the sub would be flush with the front of the cabinet or maybe they would stick out past the cabinet an inch or two.

Well...some WAF and some no other spot. This room has a almost full wall arch on the left and back wall leading to other rooms. The wall on the right is almost all windows. I could use the subs as end tables for the sofa...but that has no WAF lol

post #13 of 14 Old 02-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

The best thing to do to place your subwoofer is the "Subwoofer Crawl"! And if it sounds best when your head is in the cabinent listening when doing the crawl thats the spot.

People underestimate this silly little thing but it really works wonders

The best sound I was able to get in my small, oddly shaped living room was by putting my sub in the coat closet just to the left of my left main.  The closet was full of coats and other random seasonal items that have accumulated there over the years.  It was positioned in the door way just in there enough so the door would close.  I would crack the door 6 inches or so when in use.  The bass was tight, realistic and omnidirectional. 

Sony STR-DA1800ES - Polk Audio RTiA1s & CSiA4 - Bose Cube Satellites - Dual SVS PB-1000s
post #14 of 14 Old 02-08-2014, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Generally, putting a sub in a cabinet is a bad idea. As was stated earlier, you will have resonance issues with the cabinet itself and everything on/in the cabinet. Not to mention the issues you will have with frequency response by having the sub position fixed. Have you considered an in-wall sub or putting a freestanding sub in the rear of the room as a side table or behind the couch or in a back corner? When you do your subcrawl, do not discount these areas.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page