Upgrading to SVS 13 Ultra from a Cadence CSX15. Major upgrade? I have a couple of odd questions tho. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm not unhappy with my Cadence sub, had it several years and it's done well for me. But with income tax time comes the upgrade bug. I haven't spent a lot of time on these forums in recent years, but is SVS still considered one of the top subs? I'm looking for a sub that maybe punches me a bit more. This is in a 22x17 dedicated theater room with 10' ceilings. I've treated the room acoustically to the best of my ability and the overall sound is pretty great. All I do in there is watch blu-rays. I know I am maybe comparing apples to grapes here, but is $2000 gonna blow me away? Or would I be better off to add a 2nd cadence to the mix?

I also have 2 off the wall questions:

1) My biggest concern about going with a monster sub is introducing rattles to the room that don't exist now. Anyone have experience with this? My room sealed off with no windows and currently stays silent when the Cadence is firing away.

2) Also does anyone know how many amps the svs will pull from my 15 amp outlet? Right now my sub shares an outlet with a space heater for the winter time. The 2 have never bothered each other. I'm worried that a bigger sub might need its own circuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
This is in a 22x17 dedicated theater room with 10' ceilings.
3,740 cu.ft. A larger room.
Quote:
I know I am maybe comparing apples to grapes here, but is $2000 gonna blow me away? Or would I be better off to add a 2nd cadence to the mix?
The PB13-Ultra will crush the 300W Cadence sub. Adding a second CSX15 won't give you the sort of output or extension you'll get with a single PB13-Ultra.
Quote:
1) My biggest concern about going with a monster sub is introducing rattles to the room that don't exist now.
If you get rattles, silence them. It's a small price to pay for the substantial increase in performance.
Quote:
2) Also does anyone know how many amps the svs will pull from my 15 amp outlet? Right now my sub shares an outlet with a space heater for the winter time. The 2 have never bothered each other. I'm worried that a bigger sub might need its own circuit.
IIRC, there shouldn't be any problem running the sub on a standard outlet with other equipment.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a thought: For roughly the same money as the Ultra, you could do dual HSU VTF-15Hs. You'd get plenty of output and extension, plus smoother overall FR at the main listening position.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that other sub. Like I said I've been out of the game a while so I'm open to suggestions. I've done a bit of reading where many people are converting to a dual sub system, that's why I asked about another Cadence. With a dual sub setup in a home theater environment, do most people place them left and right? Or is it the same as having one sub, move them around and find what works best? I have 2 rows of seating, 4 in front and 3 in back. To be honest the back has only been used a couple of times. Most of the time it's me and my wife front and center, so I generally tune to make those two seats sound the best. I don't host enough movie parties to worry much about the other seats. Uniformity is not a concern and from my reading that's generally the best reason for dual subs isn't it?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With a dual sub setup in a home theater environment, do most people place them left and right? Or is it the same as having one sub, move them around and find what works best?
My understanding is that opposite walls is the more (most?) desirable configuration. But there's no rule against placing them on the same wall if you get good performance while meeting other limitations you may have. (Mine are on my front wall.)
Quote:
I have 2 rows of seating ... Most of the time it's me and my wife front and center, so I generally tune to make those two seats sound the best. ... Uniformity is not a concern and from my reading that's generally the best reason for dual subs isn't it?
Yes, that's usually why people go duals. So, in your case, there may be limited benefit to going that route. In which case, a single PB13-Ultra (or Rythmik FV15HP) would be a good choice.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Actually the Cadence might serve as a good compliment to a PB13 Ultra. The Ultra doesn't have a huge amount of upper bass output, but the Cadence does. If you have freedom of placement, put the Cadence in a spot that is advantageous to its strength, 60 to 100 Hz. Place the PB13 where its strength is best served, 20 to 60 Hz. The Cadence is basically a mid bass module, its hard to call it a full range subwoofer. That doesn't mean its no good. Look at the Hsu manual for their MBM for an idea of how to set that up. It shows reasonably good distortion performance from 60 to 100 hz, but you might want to put a low pass filter below 60 hz on it.

By the way, dual subs are not just for uniformity throughout the room, but for a flatter frequency response at your listening position. Two VTF15hs might achieve that better than a PB13 and Cadence and be easier to set up, but a Cadence/PB13 system could be interesting if you set it up right.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
I was just going to add that the OP mentioned he wanted more "Punch"...the SVS PB13 is not going to add much if any output in the 60-100hz range where you get most bass punch. However the Ultra will destroy the cadence from 12-40hz. Are you sure you want more punch or deep pressurizing bass??
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think eljay summed it up nicely. Go for dual VTF-15H or if only a single sub is possible, the PB13-Ultra or Rythmik FV15HP.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I want to thank everyone for their input. After much reading and deliberation I pulled the trigger on a PC13 Ultra! I thought the PB was just too heavy and bulky to deal with. With my room being sound treated and dedicated I think a single sub is ok for me. The base with my old sub was pretty uniform so we'll see it how goes! I started to like the cylinder shape after looking at them for a while.
Kini62 likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
^^^ The shape definitely has a way of growing on you since there are many traits that can be quite appealing. Most that do try it out find it very appealing after incorporating. For a super big block HEMI it’s just so easy to deal with and blends so much better than one would think in most cases.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 11 Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

^^^ The shape definitely has a way of growing on you since there are many traits that can be quite appealing. Most that do try it out find it very appealing after incorporating. For a super big block HEMI it’s just so easy to deal with and blends so much better than one would think in most cases.

I think there's an enculturated aesthetic bias towards the cylinder subs because everyone expects subs to be boxes. Even though I don't own a cylinder sub, I could easily see how it would grow on you.

Besides, would make a great talking point when friends come over, first see your setup, and exclaim, "That's a sub?!?" And then they would hear it biggrin.gif
steve nn likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Cadence , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page