Replacement sub to go with Energy RC-Micro satellites? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2shred View Post

cel4145, you mentioned that Audyssey should be able to compensate for the STF-1's frequency roll off around 150Hz. Do you think it would be enough to provide decent performance for music listening?

I would think it would do well since the variation is only a few db. smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 39 Old 03-23-2014, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
time2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I decided to get the STF-1 and it arrived a few days ago. It definitely has a quality look and feel to it; very solid construction. Although I knew the dimensions of the enclosure when I ordered it, I was still surprised by the size for an 8" sub. It makes my old sub look tiny!

So far I'm impressed, but I haven't really had time to put it through its paces yet, just some TV and a little music at low levels. It's nice to have some bass back after being without a sub for a while. Can't wait to watch some Blu ray and DVD movies to really hear this thing roar...
time2shred is offline  
post #33 of 39 Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
What about the Outlaw M8? It goes over 200hz on the high end.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #34 of 39 Old 03-23-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Congrats on the new sub! smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #35 of 39 Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
time2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What about the Outlaw M8? It goes over 200hz on the high end.
http://outlawaudio.com/products/m8.html

The M8 was on my list, and I was seriously considering it. I've read great things about both Outlaw and HSU, so it was a tough decision. I went with the STF-1 since the amp is a little more powerful. I hope to really put it through its paces with movies, games, and music this week to hear how well it integrates with the system.

The only thing I'm a little concerned with at the moment is that after running Audyssey, the Denon set my crossovers like this: FR/FL=200Hz, Center=200Hz, RR/RL=150Hz.
So far, I don't notice any "hole" in the frequency range, but I need to listen to more content to make sure everything blends well.
time2shred is offline  
post #36 of 39 Old 03-28-2014, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
time2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Congrats on the new sub! smile.gif

Thanks, I'm enjoying it so far. Popped in the blu ray of Fellowship of the Ring extended edition the other day. The battle scene with Sauron at the beginning was thundering nicely! Did not have time to watch the whole thing, but what I heard sounded great. Sampled a few songs on CD and bass guitar and drums were deep and punchy, guitars were nice and crunchy.

I'm pretty well convinced that the STF-1 has more than enough output for my needs. The sub volume is set to about 10 o'clock and Audyssey set the trim to -2 db. When I watched FOTR, I had the Denon master volume set to about 60-65 and it was LOUD (with Dynamic Volume off). I can't see going much higher than that. Regarding Audyssey, anyone have any comments on my crossovers (FR/FL=200Hz, Center=200Hz, RR/RL=150Hz.
)? Seems a little high for the fronts & center.
time2shred is offline  
post #37 of 39 Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
My understanding is that the the Audyssey recommended crossovers are the "lowest" it thinks you should use based on how it is measuring speaker rolloff. So generally the consensus is to not go lower, but sometimes people use higher crossovers.

I would listen to it with the crossover the way it is a for a while. Get used to it. Then experiment with the crossover set lower and see if you like it better. After all, only your ears matter smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #38 of 39 Old 03-28-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
time2shred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

My understanding is that the the Audyssey recommended crossovers are the "lowest" it thinks you should use based on how it is measuring speaker rolloff. So generally the consensus is to not go lower, but sometimes people use higher crossovers.

I would listen to it with the crossover the way it is a for a while. Get used to it. Then experiment with the crossover set lower and see if you like it better. After all, only your ears matter smile.gif

Yeah, I read a lot about Audyssey when I originally got the receiver, including the monster thread here on AVS forum. I guess I'm just concerned that the sub will not be able to accurately reproduce those frequencies closer to 200Hz given its rated specs. I know Audyssey will be able to compensate a bit for that. I guess I'm just a little surprised with those values because I'm almost positive they were all set to 150Hz with the old sub. Although, I did use a tripod for the microphone this time, so maybe my results are more accurate. At any rate, I will definitely take the advice to "just listen" for a while. smile.gif

One last thought, and maybe this would be better posted in the Audyssey thread...
Is the sub frequency response taken into account when the crossover settings are made, or is it based solely on the speakers being crossed? In other words, is it possible for the crossover to get set too high such that it is outside of the range which the sub can reproduce?
time2shred is offline  
post #39 of 39 Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2shred View Post

Yeah, I read a lot about Audyssey when I originally got the receiver, including the monster thread here on AVS forum. I guess I'm just concerned that the sub will not be able to accurately reproduce those frequencies closer to 200Hz given its rated specs. I know Audyssey will be able to compensate a bit for that. I guess I'm just a little surprised with those values because I'm almost positive they were all set to 150Hz with the old sub. Although, I did use a tripod for the microphone this time, so maybe my results are more accurate. At any rate, I will definitely take the advice to "just listen" for a while. smile.gif

One last thought, and maybe this would be better posted in the Audyssey thread...
Is the sub frequency response taken into account when the crossover settings are made, or is it based solely on the speakers being crossed? In other words, is it possible for the crossover to get set too high such that it is outside of the range which the sub can reproduce?

Yeah. That's probably better off posted in the Audyssey thread.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Energy Esw C10 10 Inch 400 Watt Subwoofer Black , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Psw111 Subwoofer Single Black , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Psw111 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off