Energy ESW-8 Upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to upgrade this sub. Or try to get better sound out of it. Certain movies or bass lines I can hear the sub like thunder kind of, not sure if it is port noise or if its the actual sub itself. Seems to be the sub, it is down firing and sitting on carpet.

As for settings:

Receiver Settings Denon 1911
speakers set to 80hz
sub set to 120hz

Sub Settings
150hz
half volume

I want to feel the bass not hear the sub haha. Here are a couple pics of the sub placement and the size of the room.

For those who can't see the images room is 19x23 with open door way to hallway and kitchen

Sub Placement
IMG_20140217_094552_zps7201c515.jpg

Size of the room
IMG_20140217_095509_zpse4bbb6e8.jpg

Where I sit...
IMG_20140217_095710_zpsb9b362f6.jpg

Should this sub be enough to fill this room better. Sometimes it sounds good but others I have to be quick to grab the remote and turn it down because it sounds like crap as I can hear the sub itself...

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 501
How big is your room* (l x w x h; sealed, or open to other spaces)?

(*I can't view your pics here at work, so if your room measurements are in them, I'm not able to see them.)

It sounds like you're driving your sub too hard in a room that's just too big for it.

If you were to replace your sub, what would your budget be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

How big is your room* (l x w x h; sealed, or open to other spaces)?

(*I can't view your pics here at work, so if your room measurements are in them, I'm not able to see them.)

It sounds like you're driving your sub too hard in a room that's just too big for it.

If you were to replace your sub, what would your budget be?

Room is 19x23 in the biggest part, its kind of L shaped. So viewing area is 15x19 open doorway to hallway and kitchen.

If I was to upgrade around $1-200 if that is possible.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a pretty big space for any small sub. Given your budget, a couple of options are:
- the Dayton SUB-1200 from parts-express.com (~$150, shipped, but currently listed as out of stock); and
- the Lava LSP12, currently on sale for $170.

Either of those subs should have no trouble giving you clean output at louder volumes than your 60W (continuous) ESW-8. But they are still entry-level subs in a large room, so as long as you don't expect earth-shaking, chest-pounding performance, you'll be alright. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

How would the Dayton SUB-1000 be? $109.00 + $9.95 shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SUB-1000-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B0063NU3AA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392664056&sr=8-2&keywords=Dayton+Audio+SUB-1200

Or the PSW-10 $81.98 with prime
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_pgd_B0063NU3AA_B0002KVQBA?pf_rd_p=1674797682&pf_rd_s=cp-merchandising-top&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0063NU3AA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1Y0BW433K9275TBPBJ2J

I thought about getting the Klipsch Sub-12HG but I think a 12 would be to much. And the sub itself is really huge I would need to move the EC out a lot. It is on sale for $199.
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Sub-12HG-Synergy-300-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B003VIWK0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392664173&sr=8-1&keywords=klipsch+sub+12

I have $250 balance at amazon so something from amazon would be awesome.

Thanks for the help and recommendations.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How would the Dayton SUB-1000 be?
It would be less than the SUB-1200. smile.gif
Quote:
Or the PSW-10
A decent but modest sub, good for smaller rooms and lower volumes.

If you're looking to make a lateral move from your current sub, either of those will do just fine.
Quote:
I thought about getting the Klipsch Sub-12HG but I think a 12 would be to much.
$199 is a good price for that sub, and it's a decent sub. It's biggest (only?) weakness seems to be that it gets a bit boomy if you're using too high a crossover (i.e., over 80Hz). And, no, a 12" sub would not be too much. cool.gif

If you're looking to move up from your current sub, get the Klipsch (if you're going to go through Amazon) or the LSP12 or SUB-1200 (if you can buy direct).

IMO. And YMMV. smile.gif

post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

I recommend that you save up for a real subwoofer instead of buying another cheap one.  You might be satisfied with another cheap one, but from what you say you want, it seems to me that you are virtually certain to be dissatisfied with anything in your price range and will be back for more advice, and still have too small of a budget for something good.  And it would mean that the money you spent on the one that dissatisfies you will have been wasted.  I recommend saving up until you have $500, and then get an SVS PB-1000.  If you might be able to get about $50 off for an "Outlet" deal, but there may not be one available when you want to order.

ragingmain likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

I recommend that you save up for a real subwoofer instead of buying another cheap one.  You might be satisfied with another cheap one, but from what you say you want, it seems to me that you are virtually certain to be dissatisfied with anything in your price range and will be back for more advice, and still have too small of a budget for something good.  And it would mean that the money you spent on the one that dissatisfies you will have been wasted.  I recommend saving up until you have $500, and then get an SVS PB-1000.  If you might be able to get about $50 off for an "Outlet" deal, but there may not be one available when you want to order.

I'm not sure where you got that... I'm not looking for anything crazy. And def don't want to spend that much. I am just looking for a sub that will fill the room a little more and hopefully not hear the sub itself. I don't see how the Klipsch Sub-12HG is considered a cheap one. I know I would not be dissatisfied with that sub besides the size of it as its huge. I am actually pretty happy with the Energy 8... I just want a little bit more out of it.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

I'm not sure where you got that... I'm not looking for anything crazy. And def don't want to spend that much. I am just looking for a sub that will fill the room a little more and hopefully not hear the sub itself. I don't see how the Klipsch Sub-12HG is considered a cheap one. I know I would not be dissatisfied with that sub besides the size of it as its huge. I am actually pretty happy with the Energy 8... I just want a little bit more out of it.

From this:

Quote:

I want to feel the bass not hear the sub haha. ...

The bottom of the line SVS PB-1000 is a great deal for what it is.  It has a much flatter, deeper response than anything else you can get at or below its price point.  It is way above everything that costs less.  It is a bargain for what it is.

If you want to really feel deep bass, you need to spend more than your current budget.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I am actually pretty happy with the Energy 8... I just want a little bit more out of it.
Then try the SUB-1200. It's a very well rated sub for it's size and price.

post #11 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Assuming the Dayton Audio SUB-1000 would be better than the PSW10? I'm not sure I want to go with a 12 just because of the size of the enclosure...Unless I move it to the left side of the Entertainment Center. Or I guess I could slide the Entertainment Center to the left and put it on the right. It just seems like all of the 12's are huge. Then again the ESW8 is 12X12X12 lol.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

Assuming the Dayton Audio SUB-1000 would be better than the PSW10? I'm not sure I want to go with a 12 just because of the size of the enclosure...Unless I move it to the left side of the Entertainment Center. Or I guess I could slide the Entertainment Center to the left and put it on the right. It just seems like all of the 12's are huge. Then again the ESW8 is 12X12X12 lol.

Well, you are budget challenged. If you had more to spend, there could be some 10" subs that might work well for you. As it is, it's easier for a 12" driver to fill your room than a smaller driver, and besides, people here on AVS are more familiar with the larger driver subs because that's the best deal below $200.

Consider the Lava LSP12 on sale for $170. Very good sub for the money.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 1911 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page