Why would I suddenly be getting port chuffing with Klipsch rw12d? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I know some people have complained about it with this sub, but I never had any issue whatsoever until recently. My usual test is the THX into to Art of Flight; I used to be able to crank it, but now it sounds terrible and I can only assume that what I'm hearing is "chuffing". I checked out the sub; the cone is not ripped or anything; I re-fixed the port tube; nothing else seems loose. But those low frequencies make a terrible airy vibration type sound when pushed, and it all started about two months ago (I've had this sub for over a year).

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

I know some people have complained about it with this sub, but I never had any issue whatsoever until recently. My usual test is the THX into to Art of Flight; I used to be able to crank it, but now it sounds terrible and I can only assume that what I'm hearing is "chuffing". I checked out the sub; the cone is not ripped or anything; I re-fixed the port tube; nothing else seems loose. But those low frequencies make a terrible airy vibration type sound when pushed, and it all started about two months ago (I've had this sub for over a year).

Any ideas?

I would pull the driver and take a look if indeed is chuffing?? Some dampening possibly came loose or something?? Anyway it's a good place to start since you say your vent seems still tight. If you do take my advice, make sure the end of the vent is at-least 3-4" away from the wall or batting. You can also always pull the amp instead of the driver which would most likely be easier.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #3 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What does chuffing look like?

This sub has pretty much nothing in the way of dampening from what I remember. Just an empty box with a plastic port tube and the speaker cone.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My Paradigm Sub was making sort of the same sound. I rotated the speaker 180 deg. And the noise went away. I will assume the speaker was somehow rubbing. It's been a couple of months and it is still working fine.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #5 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting. Will try that for sure. I'm not giving up on this sub. Was very happy with it for a solid year until this suddenly started happening.

I should add that it seems to have started when I tried laying it on its side for the first time. At first I thought it was just some issue with the airflow from the port in that position, but it continued doing it even when I put it back upright, and has done it since. Weird that nothing seems loose or anything, though.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. Will try that for sure. I'm not giving up on this sub. Was very happy with it for a solid year until this suddenly started happening.

I should add that it seems to have started when I tried laying it on its side for the first time. At first I thought it was just some issue with the airflow from the port in that position, but it continued doing it even when I put it back upright, and has done it since. Weird that nothing seems loose or anything, though.

Like I said, makes sense to me but can't be sure unless you take a peak!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #7 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

How I discovered it was the speaker was when it was making the noise, I gently put pressure on the cone with my finger and the noise went away.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #8 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That could be the OP's issue also. I should have mentioned pressing in the speaker gently with his finger-tips to see if he hears a scratching sound first. Could be a VC going out.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #9 of 18 Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Going to try all of these things this weekend. Really want to fix this. My backup sub doesn't have the issue -- but it's because it doesn't get down that low in the first place.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

That could be the OP's issue also. I should have mentioned pressing in the speaker gently with his finger-tips to see if he hears a scratching sound first. Could be a VC going out.

VC used to be a bad word for me. eek.gif

post #11 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

VC used to be a bad word for me. eek.gif

Oh yeah,.. "Skytrooper" I should of been more sensitive. wink.gif how bout CV then? No not the amp but coil voice ?

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #12 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Steve nn

Just joking. I knew what you meant. But one thing I don't like is on many forums, people use abbreviations. I sometimes have trouble understanding them. I'm probably a lot older than most people here.

post #13 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post

Steve nn

Just joking. I knew what you meant. But one thing I don't like is on many forums, people use abbreviations. I sometimes have trouble understanding them. I'm probably a lot older than most people here.

Lol.. yeah I was joking too. I know what you mean on the abbreviations though. We take different abbreviations for granted. I still read posts that I don't know what movie they're talking about? I mean it's not like we talk about that certain movie all the time. rolleyes.gif I would agree that using them when noticing they're not the best in communicating is a good practice though.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #14 of 18 Old 02-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Steve nn
Maybe someone should start a thread about abbreviations. And remember not forget to remember the OP. ( I know what OP means now ). That Furutech thread really went crazy.

post #15 of 18 Old 02-22-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How on earth do I get the driver out? I removed all the screws and it's not falling out when I tip it over. I am afraid to pry the sides because I don't want to rip any of the rubber.

edit: Got it out by knocking the port tube loose and then just reaching up in there and pushing it out -- HARD -- from the inside. If the port tube had been epoxied in, I'd probably have been out of luck.

So even with the speaker held in my hand, it still sounds horrendously "fluttery" and "flappy" on the low stuff. I don't see any signs of the cone or anything being ripped; the whole speaker still looks brand new to me. So with no physical damage to the speaker, why is it suddenly doing this on the exact same audio content that it used to have zero issues with?
post #16 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

How on earth do I get the driver out? I removed all the screws and it's not falling out when I tip it over. I am afraid to pry the sides because I don't want to rip any of the rubber.

edit: Got it out by knocking the port tube loose and then just reaching up in there and pushing it out -- HARD -- from the inside. If the port tube had been epoxied in, I'd probably have been out of luck.

So even with the speaker held in my hand, it still sounds horrendously "fluttery" and "flappy" on the low stuff. I don't see any signs of the cone or anything being ripped; the whole speaker still looks brand new to me. So with no physical damage to the speaker, why is it suddenly doing this on the exact same audio content that it used to have zero issues with?
My RW12D use to chuff only in depth mode. I tried punch and it never came back even at reference levels so I ran it in punch until I sold it lol

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #17 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe mine is in depth mode so will definitely try that. I just don't understand how the speaker itself is having this problem when it went over a year playing the same stuff at the same volume with no problem.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still have the same problem with Punch and Flat modes. Maybe slightly less just because it isn't hitting the low stuff as hard as in Depth mode, but still very audible.

Anyone want to buy a Klipsch RW12d that makes an awful flapping sound anytime the low end is hit?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page