Powered/Active Subwoobers. 10'' vs 12''? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Want to make this a straight forward question, Comparing subwoofers of the same make and model what advantages does a 10'' have over a 12'' rather then taking up less room?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro700 View Post

Want to make this a straight forward question, Comparing subwoofers of the same make and model what advantages does a 10'' have over a 12'' rather then taking up less room?
Cheaper?

I see no advatages. And typical 10" Polk-like crap is more like a MIDwoofer, than SUBwoofer.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Comparing subwoofers of the same make and model what advantages does a 10'' have over a 12'' rather then taking up less room?
If they were the same make and model, just with a different driver, the 10" wouldn't take up any less room. In a ported version - and assuming similar excursion for both drivers - the 12" should have greater output and extension.

In a sealed sub...I really don't know, and I hope someone will chime in with some wisdom on this:
- If the cabinet were sized to optimize the performance of the 10" driver, the 12" driver might be "hobbled" (i.e., excursion might be restricted) by the relatively limited volume.
- Not sure how a 10" driver would perform in a cabinet optimized for the 12" driver. Would the greater volume cause problems for the 10" driver?
- With a cabinet sized part-way between the needs of the 10" and of the 12", would both drivers end up delivering the same level of performance, or would the 12" once again be "hobbled"?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Quote:

Comparing subwoofers of the same make and model what advantages does a 10'' have over a 12'' rather then taking up less room?
None. wink.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Im talking strictly Active Subwoofers in premade enclosures. Typically the 10" is cheaper and doesnt have the wattage that the 12" has. Thus making me think the 12 can deliver a more powerful sound. Im basically wondering how the different in overall sound would be between the two. Would the 12 sound deeper so to speak?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The 12" will move more air. With subs BIGGER is BETTER. But I'm also not saying that a cheap 12" will be better than a good 10". Like the SVS PB1000, that is a great 10" sub and it outperforms many cheaper 12" subs. But then the SVS PB12 NSD and PB2000 which are 12" drivers have a lot more output and move more air than the PB1000. Some companies use 15" subs. Some DIY subs are 18" or 21".

Shawn
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would the 12 sound deeper so to speak?
You can tell that by looking at the SPL chart for each. Driver size in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean one will go lower than the other, although if the subs are both from the same manufacturer and the twelve is more expensive than the ten that's probably the case.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Essentially they will both sound the same but the 12 will be able to achieve a louder more powerful sound/feel is what I am thinking?

post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Essentially they will both sound the same but the 12 will be able to achieve a louder more powerful sound/feel is what I am thinking?
Maybe, maybe not. That depends on a number of factors, driver size being only one out of a dozen. In the absence of sufficient data the only valid conclusion you can draw where ten inch versus twelve inch loaded subs is concerned is that the twelve inch driver is larger than the ten inch driver.

post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

SnoPro: Do you have any specific subs you are talking about? If so we can help you out better.

Shawn
post #11 of 12 Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

SnoPro: Do you have any specific subs you are talking about? If so we can help you out better.

My question is just a general question really. But the first subs that caught my eye when I first started to wonder were the Infinity's. I forget the model #'s. Im really liking this SVS brand right now despite the higher price tags. If or when I do decide to make a purchase I will most like opt for sealed more so for space issues.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I will tell you this. If you want to save money in the long run buy something good right from the start OR stay off this forum, sometimes ignorance is bliss. But honestly do yourself a favor and buy a Sub from an Internet Direct company such as: SVS, Power Sound Audio (PSA), Hsu Research, Rythmik, Outlaw Auido, or Reaction Audio (if you want a little bit cheaper).

When buying or researching subs one of the most important factors is the size of your room in cubic footage (and not just your room that the sub will be in but any other areas that are open to that room). If your room is sealed meaning its closed of with a door then you only need to consider the room size. Most will advise you to go with 2 subs, not just for more bass and SPL but to help get even bass frequency response throughout all your seating positions.

So with that said what is the cubic footage of your area???

Shawn
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page