Hey bass enthusiasts/bassheads, need your help setting the record straight - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

So SVS is having this sale on the PB12 NSD and SB12-NSD and there's a thread on a deal site taking about how good they are etc. Another poster said that these subs are NOT overkill in a 12x12 room and some people may even want more.

So a different poster called the guy who made the statement above a troll simply because he said what he said.

I simply replied and said that there are bass enthusiasts who simply LOVE bass so much that they may want way more slam than one of these subs could produce in a 12x12 room.

Yes I understand that most people would be more than content in the situation above, but am I wrong in saying that there are bass hungry people here who would want more than what these subs offer, even in a small room?

Help me prove that this close minded guy isn't correct in that everyone who just be 100% content with one of these subs in a 12x12 room!

-SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
I run 3 XV15's in a 20x15 room and I would not call it over kill...some might and others might think it is not enough. I would much rather have more then enough subwoofage opposed to not enough. The less a sub(s) have to work to produce a desired amount of bass will result in cleaner output.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I run 3 XV15's in a 20x15 room and I would not call it over kill...some might and others might think it is not enough. I would much rather have more then enough subwoofage opposed to not enough. The less a sub(s) have to work to produce a desired amount of bass will result in cleaner output.

Hey Bass have you measured your room?  I would be interested to see how smooth your response is running three subs like you do. :)

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Hey Bass have you measured your room?  I would be interested to see how smooth your response is running three subs like you do. smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/5670#post_23722135

This was the graph I came up with after a half hour of integrating the third into the system. I can probably tweak it a little better, but it sounds pretty good and I was actually getting tired of using the messuring gear.
Brian Fineberg likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1372020/official-power-sound-audio-thread/5670#post_23722135

This was the graph I came up with after a half hour of integrating the third into the system. I can probably tweak it a little better, but it sounds pretty good and I was actually getting tired of using the messuring gear.

Looks damn good considering no eq.  How much smoothing did you use, if you recall?  I will be playing with my single sub some more next Tuesday, and playing with an inferior as dual to see what it does.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman View Post

Hey guys,

So SVS is having this sale on the PB12 NSD and SB12-NSD and there's a thread on a deal site taking about how good they are etc. Another poster said that these subs are NOT overkill in a 12x12 room and some people may even want more.

The average audio enthusiast would probably be pretty happy with those subs. But then there will always be people that like extra bass. smile.gif

Plus, discussing whether or not they are "overkill" is only looking at the subs in one dimension. These subs will produce better SQ than budget subs costing less, and they have a more linear response. And the PB12 will extend solidly down to 20hz, something that is not going to happen with 12" subs costing half that much. The SB12, while not extending as deep, likely is one of the very best subs for SQ for that $600 price.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman View Post

Hey guys,

So a different poster called the guy who made the statement above a troll simply because he said what he said.

I simply replied and said that there are bass enthusiasts who simply LOVE bass so much that they may want way more slam than one of these subs could produce in a 12x12 room.

Yes I understand that most people would be more than content in the situation above, but am I wrong in saying that there are bass hungry people here who would want more than what these subs offer, even in a small room?

Help me prove that this close minded guy isn't correct in that everyone who just be 100% content with one of these subs in a 12x12 room!

Why do you feel you have to prove anything and if you could actually prove anything so what? He has an opinion, you have an opinion. Let it go.

dsrussell and sabtham like this.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Looks damn good considering no eq.  How much smoothing did you use, if you recall?  I will be playing with my single sub some more next Tuesday, and playing with an inferior as dual to see what it does.

Thanks. I only use 1/12 smoothing after I get the graph close. If you look through the PSA thread pics you will see I was getting a massive 30hz peak around 12db with duals. With my mini dsp I could eq it flat but I Iost more headroom from having to cut and boost frequencies. That is when I decided to pull the trigger on a 3rd and it smoothed the response nicely without needing any eq. Now if I want I could use the mini dsp to achieve a razor flat graph, but I have simply been enjoying the system since and have not felt the need. I actually found out what a third would do by placing a JBL ES250 in room with my dual XV15's. I bought the JBL for one of our Touch Tunes Jukeboxes and decided to try it first before buying another XV15. Obviously the JBL could not keep up output wise, but I instantly noticed a smoother response and then pulled the trigger on a 3rd. So yes do not be afraid to try your polk sub in different spots to see how dual subs will react in your room. I have a feeling you will be ordering a second PB2000 soon wink.gif.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 626
The SVS NSDs are definitely not overkill. They have very clean deep end, probably the cleanest for the price, but they don't have an extraordinary amount of mid or upper bass. Keep in mind that most of the bass you hear is above 30 Hz. Probably most people would be happy with them, but I wouldn't, and there have been guys who like to crank heavy bass tunes who were not satisfied with the output, even after I warned them. They are great for guys who want clean effect sounds from movies but pretty meh for those who like to blaze some drum n bass, dubstep, or electro, so it depends on your tastes.
sabtham likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I only use 1/12 smoothing after I get the graph close. If you look through the PSA thread pics you will see I was getting a massive 30hz peak around 12db with duals. With my mini dsp I could eq it flat but I Iost more headroom from having to cut and boost frequencies. That is when I decided to pull the trigger on a 3rd and it smoothed the response nicely without needing any eq. Now if I want I could use the mini dsp to achieve a razor flat graph, but I have simply been enjoying the system since and have not felt the need. I actually found out what a third would do by placing a JBL ES250 in room with my dual XV15's. I bought the JBL for one of our Touch Tunes Jukeboxes and decided to try it first before buying another XV15. Obviously the JBL could not keep up output wise, but I instantly noticed a smoother response and then pulled the trigger on a 3rd. So yes do not be afraid to try your polk sub in different spots to see how dual subs will react in your room. I have a feeling you will be ordering a second PB2000 soon wink.gif.

I can't fit another PB2000, but, if the in room response difference is amazing, I may end up with a PB1000 in the future as my dual sub setup.  I don't need the output, but I can understand the smoother response being beneficial.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Old 02-18-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Glenn View Post

Why do you feel you have to prove anything and if you could actually prove anything so what? He has an opinion, you have an opinion. Let it go.

You're missing the point.

He felt the need to tell someone else, who had a different opinion than his, that their opinion was wrong. Someone else posted that this sub may leave you wanting for more in the future and he basically said this sub is overkill. He wasn't willing to be open to the idea that what he thinks may not be the same thing everyone else thinks. He said there's no way anyone would want more than one of these subs in a 12x12 room and bet I couldn't find anyone who would. But I know some people just crave more bass around here and just because he would be content in that setup doesn't mean everyone in the world would be. That's all.

Don't get me wrong. I have owned 2 SVS subs and I am a big fan and it's not about that at all.

Just trying to make the close minded look outside their own box.

-SP
Old 02-18-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
What is up with all the irrelevant pointless threads on this forum lately? Sheesh. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
There's nothing to prove. For some people, a PB12-/SB12-NSD in a 12' x 12' room is enough. For others, it's not. Preference is subjective.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

There's nothing to prove. For some people, a PB12-/SB12-NSD in a 12' x 12' room is enough. For others, it's not. Preference is subjective.

Eljaycanuck, that's exactly what I was trying to say in the other forum. It's about preference. This guy wasn't seeing it that way.

-SP

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer