Specifics of Corner Placement for Sub & Room Gain - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Forgive my ignorance but I have a question on corner placement for a sub.  I just ordered an SVS PB-12NSD which should arrive tomorrow. I have two corners I could place it in (1a and 1b of the drawing) but am curious as the orientation of the corner placement. 

I drew up 5 scenarios of how this front-firing/front-ported sub should face.  I know I will need to do the sub crawl and find out for myself, but is there a general orientation which is recommended? Arrows represent where the cone and port are facing. 

Pardon my MSPaint skills...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
The radiation pattern of both the cone sourced and the port sourced low frequencies is omni-directional, so where below 100Hz is concerned it doesn't matter which way the sub faces. However, the above bandwidth harmonics are directional, and will be acoustically filtered if the cone is facing away from the listener.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The radiation pattern of both the cone sourced and the port sourced low frequencies is omni-directional, so where below 100Hz is concerned it doesn't matter which way the sub faces. However, the above bandwidth harmonics are directional, and will be acoustically filtered if the cone is facing away from the listener.

Bill, given the scenario that a sub is say, 25" in depth, does facing the wall with the woofer vs having it 25" further from the wall from facing away have any potential in making a difference in terms of room gain due to corner loading, etc.?

post #4 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Bill, given the scenario that a sub is say, 25" in depth, does facing the wall with the woofer vs having it 25" further from the wall from facing away have any potential in making a difference in terms of room gain due to corner loading, etc.?
The source must be less than 1/4 wavelength from a boundary for full loading. At 100Hz that's 2.8 feet, at 80Hz that's 3.5 feet.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I do agree with Bill. However I do have a personal favorite and that would be option A with the Port and Woofer facing into the corner at a 45 degree angle. So if it were me and those were the only 2 spots I could put the sub I would go with 1B and do orientation A.

Shawn
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I do agree with Bill. However I do have a personal favorite and that would be option A with the Port and Woofer facing into the corner at a 45 degree angle. So if it were me and those were the only 2 spots I could put the sub I would go with 1B and do orientation A.

OP this is a great question. Thanks for bring it up.

@flickhtguru - why is this your personal favorite (orientation A)?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
As Bill stated the upper end harmonics which are directional which could make a sub localizable would be filtered and it would no longer be an issue. That is also a reason why ppl love downfiring subs or ports or both because the carpet filters out the above bandwidth harmonics. Actually my subs are downfiring with downfiring ports which is my favorite orientation. But for my reasoning it might just be all in my head, but I think both downfiring or angled into corner give the most tactile feeling and it seems to give more SPL at MLP with sub facing corner.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page