SVS SB-1000 vs Dayton T1003K Kit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm in the market for a subwoofer for home theater and some music. Currently, I'm debating between the SVS SB-1000 vs Dayton T1003K Kit, but I'm open to other suggestions.$500 is my absolute maximum budget. This will complete my 5.1 system with Klipsch RF-3 fronts, RC-3 center, and SS-1 surrounds. 

Even though I will be using this mostly for home theater, I'm leaning towards a compact sealed sub because my SO has made it clear that she would like it to be as small as possible. Also, I live in an apartment and don't want the neighbors to kill me, so I am concerned with clear bass over loud bass.

I've heard great things about the SB-1000, but I've also seen a lot of people say that kits are a much better value. I have no problem with assembling the sub, or even ordering parts separately, as long as I can buy a pre-cut cabinet. And, if I can spend less than $500, that's great too. 

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I'd go for the SVS. Bigger driver,. 5 year warranty prebuilt, cooler running digital amp, and not worried about getting perfect seal.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 5 Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I looked at DIY before purchasing PB12-NSD. I didn't mind putting the cabinet together, but rather the equalizer part. After reading the DIY, you can't just throw a driver and cabinet together.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee82 View Post

I looked at DIY before purchasing PB12-NSD. I didn't mind putting the cabinet together, but rather the equalizer part. After reading the DIY, you can't just throw a driver and cabinet together.

Yeah. I like the idea of a project, but it's probably better going for a sure thing since this will be my only sub. I'd rather experiment with DIY on cheaper projects. I was only checking because I've seen people claim that the DIY subs are waaaaayyyyyyy better for the price. 

post #5 of 5 Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I'd only go down DIY

a) You have plans for a subwoofer that works perfectly, ie a specific driver, amplifier, with set box dimensions and cut outs- that way you don't need to research into science of subwoofer
b) You're good at woodwork and finishing.
trog69 likes this.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page