Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

So it looks like I may need to find a replacement for my PB2 Plus sub. I've been working with Jack Gilvey over at SVS and seeing if he could help me with my sub that has been giving me some issues lately.

For those that may not know, this is a fairly large sub. It's actually larger than a PB13 Ultra (though I doubt it's anywhere near as powerful as it's 10 yr old technology now), has dual 12" drivers and a 900 watt amp.

My room is 16 x 20 with a vaulted ceiling, 7.5 ft on one side and about 14.5 ft on the other so in total about 3500 ft^3.

The problem is that on any demanding passages, the sub is making a chirping type of sound. I don't know if that means that there is damage to the drivers (or some other part) or maybe its the voice coil or if it's just being pushed too hard and what I've heard is referred to as "chaffing".

There are replacement drivers available, but that would cost about $600 so not sure its worth it and maybe instead just buy a new sub.

If that's the case, do you have any recommendations? I am a big fan of SVS as I have had a great experience with this sub,and have had bought 3 other subs for friends who have all been very happy with theirs. However, I know there's now options from PSA, etc.

I would like to keep the budget under $1000 but is there anything out there that would perform like this one under that price? Ideally, I would love something smaller that could perform as well but given the volume of the cabinet i doubt that's possible. Jack suggested 2 PB-2000s to get comparable performance but that is certainly out of the budget and too much real estate!

Maybe just replacing the drivers is the best option?!?!

Thanks for you help.

Midfi-

-SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 578
At $1k I would look at the Hsu VTF15h. The new Reaction BPS 215 looks like it could be good for the money as well.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

At $1k I would look at the Hsu VTF15h. .

+1. Other than replacing your drivers, this is probably your best option at $1k.

If you wanted to step up some more, the Rythmik FV15HP is an output monster at its price point of around $1450 shipped.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #4 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I think the Rythmik looks great but really much more than I want to spend. I'm sure it would be an upgrade, but I want to draw the line somewhere.

Also, as this subwoofer is 10 yrs old now, if I replace the drivers, is there really any risk that something else could go wrong coming up as well, or is subwoofer damage generally limited to the drivers (obviously anything could happen, but looking for general thoughts)?

Thanks,
Midfi

-SP
post #5 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Normally it is the amp that fails not the drivers. Another option to look at would be the PSA XS30 but it is 1149.00 shipped. You might be able to sell your PB2 for parts around 200.00. smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Normally it is the amp that fails not the drivers. Another option to look at would be the PSA XS30 but it is 1149.00 shipped. You might be able to sell your PB2 for parts around 200.00. smile.gif

$200? Yuck! :-)

To be honest, someone with a smaller room can get a steal if I decide to sell because it's only at higher volumes on the depper passages that it seems to be an issue. But that's how I like to listen to it. I would guess that if someone has like a 15 x 15 x 8 room or something like that, they may never experience the issue i'm hearing.

I'm noticing there seems to be alot of fans of PSA these days. Are they better value players than SVS? I know that it was started by one of the SVS founders, but I've been out of the sub buying game for some time and haven't kept up with which companies most of the guys here are buying from these days.

-SP
post #7 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman View Post

$200? Yuck! :-)

To be honest, someone with a smaller room can get a steal if I decide to sell because it's only at higher volumes on the depper passages that it seems to be an issue. But that's how I like to listen to it. I would guess that if someone has like a 15 x 15 x 8 room or something like that, they may never experience the issue i'm hearing.

I'm noticing there seems to be alot of fans of PSA these days. Are they better value players than SVS? I know that it was started by one of the SVS founders, but I've been out of the sub buying game for some time and haven't kept up with which companies most of the guys here are buying from these days.

Well if you fix it then you could probably get 450-600, but I dont see how you could sell it for that with a issue. PSA makes good subs with good warranty just like SVS. The VTF-15 is another great sub...just throwing out options in your price range. The PC12+ is another option close to your budget. From 15-30hz the VTF or PC12+ would probably have more output then a XS30, but above 30hz the XS30 would have a significant advantage in output.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pb2000 , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Pb2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page