How would an NXG BAS 500 pair up with an SVS PB-1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-22-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the SVS and love it. But my room is on the large size, open and with high ceilings, and could use a second sub. I've seen several reviews that describe the NXG as sonically similar to the PB-1000.

So in the interest in saving a few bucks, I'm wondering how would the NXG work alongside the SVS? Would they compliment one another or would the NXG compromise the overall effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Any time you go with a lesser sub to pair with a much better sub, it is likely to be a compromise.

Meanwhile, doubtful anyone here has tried to run those two together. And even if they did, their room experience would be different than yours.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

In general, it is a bad idea to mix different subwoofers.  This is due to several things, including the fact that you will likely reach the performance limits of one of them first, and then you have reached the maximum usable volume before you get massive distortion and possible damage, based on the least capable of your subwoofers.

Also, I don't know what reviews you have been reading, but the frequency response of the NXG does not seem to be nearly as flat as the SVS:

http://www.nxgtechnology.com/images/soundandvision_bas500_review.pdf

I would not recommend what you are thinking of doing.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-22-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Go with a 2nd PB1000.

Shawn
post #5 of 12 Old 02-22-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Also, I don't know what reviews you have been reading, but the frequency response of the NXG does not seem to be nearly as flat as the SVS:

http://www.nxgtechnology.com/images/soundandvision_bas500_review.pdf

Yeah. There's no flatness to that frequency response curve. Looks like a steep hill I had to walk up and down the other day. (lol)

post #6 of 12 Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post

I have the SVS and love it. But my room is on the large size, open and with high ceilings, and could use a second sub. I've seen several reviews that describe the NXG as sonically similar to the PB-1000.

Having reviewed both of those subwoofers I can attest to the fact that they don't share the same sonic characteristics. While I think the NXG is a very solid product, it's really not in the same category as the PB1000.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 12 Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 16
Thanks everyone. You steered me right with my first SVS so I'm not about to go against the recommendations in this thread either.

I think what threw me off was this review http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-page-2

Specifically the closing paragraph
post #8 of 12 Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA2011 View Post

Thanks everyone. You steered me right with my first SVS so I'm not about to go against the recommendations in this thread either.

I think what threw me off was this review http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-page-2

I can see why that might have lead to the assumption the subs were pretty much equivalent. IMHO, however, they aren't. Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of that NXG sub -- and all you have to do is hear one to understand why -- but the PB1000 is definitely better. In particular the transient response and lower extension, two key areas that only spending more $$ can get you.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by MCA2011 

I think what threw me off was this review http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...bwoofer-page-2

I can see why that might have lead to the assumption the subs were pretty much equivalent. IMHO, however, they aren't. Everyone knows I'm a huge fan of that NXG sub -- and all you have to do is hear one to understand why -- but the PB1000 is definitely better. In particular the transient response and lower extension, two key areas that only spending more $$ can get you.
Mr Wilson,

Ive read both reviews on these subs you've made. I was recommended from a user here to go with Dual NXG NX BAS500 over the pb1k.

My room dimensions seem identical to yours used for testing.

What do you recommend?
post #10 of 12 Old 07-12-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeberg View Post
Mr Wilson,

Ive read both reviews on these subs you've made. I was recommended from a user here to go with Dual NXG NX BAS500 over the pb1k.

My room dimensions seem identical to yours used for testing.

What do you recommend?
Wow, Mr. Wilson. Did my father just show up?

Which setup works best depends upon what you're looking to achieve, and how the sub(s) will be used; HT, music, games, some combination of those? Also, how loud you want to listen will factor in, as will your placement options. It's commonly thought that dual subs will always trump a single, but that's not really the case. You have to be able to place them appropriately, otherwise you might not realize the intended benefits. In some cases you could unintentionally make the room modes worse, so that might be something to consider. Unfortunately there's no way to predict the outcome - you would actually need to try it in your room.

All of that notwithstanding... dual NXG's should provide more total output than a single PB1000 is capable of, but the SVS has greater precision and can play deeper. I consider both subs to be excellent values, but for different reasons. There respective designs are targeted at different customers, and in that regard I feel they each hit the mark.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Copy:It's commonly thought that dual subs will always trump a single, but that's not really the case. You have to be able to place them appropriately, otherwise you might not realize the intended benefits. In some cases you could unintentionally make the room modes worse, so that might be something to consider. Unfortunately there's no way to predict the outcome - you would actually need to try it in your room.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Wow, Mr. Wilson. Did my father just show up?

Which setup works best depends upon what you're looking to achieve, and how the sub(s) will be used; HT, music, games, some combination of those? Also, how loud you want to listen will factor in, as will your placement options. It's commonly thought that dual subs will always trump a single, but that's not really the case. You have to be able to place them appropriately, otherwise you might not realize the intended benefits. In some cases you could unintentionally make the room modes worse, so that might be something to consider. Unfortunately there's no way to predict the outcome - you would actually need to try it in your room.

All of that notwithstanding... dual NXG's should provide more total output than a single PB1000 is capable of, but the SVS has greater precision and can play deeper. I consider both subs to be excellent values, but for different reasons. There respective designs are targeted at different customers, and in that regard I feel they each hit the mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samlifegots View Post
Copy:It's commonly thought that dual subs will always trump a single, but that's not really the case. You have to be able to place them appropriately, otherwise you might not realize the intended benefits. In some cases you could unintentionally make the room modes worse, so that might be something to consider. Unfortunately there's no way to predict the outcome - you would actually need to try it in your room.
You guys helped me out so much. I believe my mind has been set. I'll try out the SVS PB-1000. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page