BIC PL-200 or Klipsch Sub-12HG or Save My Pennies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I apologize if this has been discussed...which it probably has and I can't seem to find it. I'm looking to replace a Polk Audio PSW10 which was bought for me by my lovely wife. I am hoping to purchase a sub that will have a significant improvement over the Polk. So, I've been looking at the BIC PL-200 and Klipsch Sub-12HG. Both seem to be the most talked about subs in this price range. The Polk as far as I now is not usually talked about fondly here, so I'm assuming either of these will blow me away comparatively speaking?

I will be placing it in a 13'x17' carpeted room which opens up into a kitchen. The Klipsch is down firing. Is there much difference between down and front firing subs...with carpet in mind?

The lowest pricing for these subs (Amazon) is $299.99 for the Klipsch, and $339.99 for the BIC. The Klipsch dropped to $199 last week but I missed it...probably would have just pulled the trigger at that price.

Also, wondering if convincing the wife, waiting a bit longer, and saving up would be the better option (getting a bit impatient, so this might be a bit rough). Been keeping my eye on Craigs list as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Downfiring makes no difference. I have all types. Corner-loading subs nearly always helps quite a bit.

The PL-200 is the most recommended sub in the forum under $300 (you need to check the respective thread for how to get the best price).

The PSW10 barely plays to 40 Hz and is thoroughly inadequate in that size room (being open to another area). I have a PSW10 in a very small bedroom that I use to supplement a small (meaning each speaker is small - enclosures ~3.5 inches) surround system.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I'd go for this at $200-

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1500-15-150-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-634

Or a pair of these for $260

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #4 of 16 Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I would take your own advice and wait a little longer, it's not fun but when you get there it's worth it that much more.

The PL200 is a good subwoofer under $300 I had one before upgrading to an SVS. Sounds like you have about $330 available now. If you can save another $120 and be patient, you can find a SVS PB1000 in their outlet for $450 shipped.
Joshjp likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

I would take your own advice and wait a little longer, it's not fun but when you get there it's worth it that much more.

The PL200 is a good subwoofer under $300 I had one before upgrading to an SVS. Sounds like you have about $330 available now. If you can save another $120 and be patient, you can find a SVS PB1000 in their outlet for $450 shipped.
plus 1

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #6 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Yes I would save for an SVS PB1000. That thing will blow you away coming from that Polk.

Shawn
post #7 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Yes I would save for an SVS PB1000. That thing will blow you away coming from that Polk.

The advantage the PB-1000 will have over the Polk is below 30hz. It very well could have less output in the 40-60hz range then a PL-200, PSW505, or Sub12HG. However It will be cleaner, more accurate and have way better extension...not trying to argue, just putting this out there so the OP understands what he will be getting into. There are quite few 200.00 commercial subs that have the mid-bass output of several 5-600.00 range subs. what you are getting by spending the extra is deep bass output, extension, and accuracy.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Yep I hear ya. I've said that before in different threads too. Sometimes its hard to tell the OP everything with out making a huge paragraph of a post.

Shawn
post #9 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

I think you should save your pennies.  When you have about $500, buy an SVS-PB1000.  That is what I would do.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll be savin' my pennies. A quick question about the "PB-1000 having less output in the 40-60hz range". Is this something that will be noticeable when upgrading from the Polk PSW10. I'm assuming that the SVS will up everything that the little Polk can do, correct?

I guess I should've mentioned the rest of my set up...
Fronts - Polk Monitor 70s
Center- Polk CS2
Surround - Polk Monitor 40s
Receiver - Denon 1910

Will the Monitor 70s take up the slack in the 40-60hz?

Right now I have the system calibrated entirely from the Audyssey set up. Except for a slight boost in volume for the center and the sub. I did try to set the crossovers as suggested when using a sub, but with the PSW10 it didn't have much punch. So I left it with the Monitor 70s joining in the bass fun.

Anyway, than again...
post #11 of 16 Old 02-25-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCUBBYx View Post

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll be savin' my pennies. A quick question about the "PB-1000 having less output in the 40-60hz range". Is this something that will be noticeable when upgrading from the Polk PSW10. I'm assuming that the SVS will up everything that the little Polk can do, correct?

I guess I should've mentioned the rest of my set up...
Fronts - Polk Monitor 70s
Center- Polk CS2
Surround - Polk Monitor 40s
Receiver - Denon 1910

Will the Monitor 70s take up the slack in the 40-60hz?

Right now I have the system calibrated entirely from the Audyssey set up. Except for a slight boost in volume for the center and the sub. I did try to set the crossovers as suggested when using a sub, but with the PSW10 it didn't have much punch. So I left it with the Monitor 70s joining in the bass fun.

Anyway, than again...

I did mean to imply it will have less output in the 40-60hz, I said it is possible compared to some of the better 200.00 range subs. The PSW10 will not come close anywhere...the only place it will outperform the PB-1000 is in distortion. When you step up to a quality ID sub the bass sounds different, just clean uncolored bass reproduction. No higher order harmonics and excessive ringing to muck up the sound quality.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 30
Save your pennies!
post #13 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Alright I'm savin' my pennies. One last question...Would 2 BIC PL-200's, be better than 1 SVS PB-1000? Or, would it be beneficial in any way to have both the SVS, and the Polk running? My receiver is a 7.1 system, so I'd be using a splitter.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCUBBYx View Post

Alright I'm savin' my pennies. One last question...Would 2 BIC PL-200's, be better than 1 SVS PB-1000? Or, would it be beneficial in any way to have both the SVS, and the Polk running? My receiver is a 7.1 system, so I'd be using a splitter.

One SVS PB-1000 subwoofer will give you a deep, flat response.  Two BIC PL-200 subwoofers will double up the unflat response they have.  Which sounds to you like it would be better?

Now, with two good subwoofers, one can place them differently in the room to compensate for room affects on the frequency response, to help flatten it out and get it closer to the anechoic response of one of them, so there is a good reason to use two good subwoofers.  But you first need a subwoofer that can actually deliver the really deep bass before you are going to be able to get the really deep bass flat, so save up and buy the SVS.

As for using your Polk also, it is possible to use two different subwoofers and you might like it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1519816/pb2000-rew-and-a-polk-psw110-result/0_100

But generally speaking, it is not a good idea.  I advise you to get rid of your Polk and save up for a second SVS like the first one you are buying, if one is not enough for you.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

One SVS PB-1000 subwoofer will give you a deep, flat response.  Two BIC PL-200 subwoofers will double up the unflat response they have.  Which sounds to you like it would be better?

Now, with two good subwoofers, one can place them differently in the room to compensate for room affects on the frequency response, to help flatten it out and get it closer to the anechoic response of one of them, so there is a good reason to use two good subwoofers.  But you first need a subwoofer that can actually deliver the really deep bass before you are going to be able to get the really deep bass flat, so save up and buy the SVS.

As for using your Polk also, it is possible to use two different subwoofers and you might like it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1519816/pb2000-rew-and-a-polk-psw110-result/0_100

But generally speaking, it is not a good idea.  I advise you to get rid of your Polk and save up for a second SVS like the first one you are buying, if one is not enough for you.

My knowledge of subs is fairly limited...I'm just starting to wrap my head around it. The explanations in this thread have helped greatly. So having two PL-200 subs doesn't necessarily sound bette me, I just thought I'd throw it out there.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay.  The general idea is, two of the same will give you more of the same.  Of course, putting them in different places will allow one to deal with different room affects, and so one can modify the in-room response with two.  But getting this exactly right will involve measuring things.  You can get it approximately right just by putting the two subwoofers on the middle of two adjacent walls of a rectangular room, or in two adjacent corners (for more output but less flat, generally).  Here is a link to a page with links to various articles on subwoofer setup:

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup

For one subwoofer, often a front corner is best, as it helps maximize output (and you only have one) and it being up front is usually not going to be a problem if you had to set the crossover a bit high due to inadequacies in main speakers.  But the real best depends on careful measurements taken in your room.  Next best is putting the subwoofer in the listening position and then crawling around on the floor and listening to (better would be measuring) bass and find where it sounds best, then put the subwoofer in that spot.  You can read more about that at:

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

If you are not up for that, you can try it where you otherwise want to put it, and set it up with your receiver's automatic setup, and see how you like it.  You might get lucky.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Bic Pl 200 Acoustech Platinum Series Subwoofer , Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page