PC12-PLUS Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ok have some questions regarding the PC12-PLUS vs my dual PB-2000s. Assuming all factors are equal (same movie, same scene, same volume, same mlp) will a pair of PC12-PLUS sound or feel better/different from my current dual PB-2000 setup?

I'm trying to grasp exactly what people experience with higher end subs if the lower end (not that a PB2000 is low ha) ones are capable of hitting low frequencies. I don't necessarily need imax levels but I want to have very DEEP, controlled bass. I enjoy what I hear/feel now but there's a sense of wondering what the next step up would bring me.

Upgrading to a pair of plus subs would be realistically my highest financial upgrade possible and I'm ok with making the jump if it'll be worth the extra $ over what I have invested in the 2000s.

My room is about 2500cu ft so I know that it doesn't take much to pressurize but I'm uncertain how different subs sound from one another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im in the same boat as you I have dual pb2000 s in a pretty small room and rhey sound great but I keep wondering what the next step up wouldnbe. In my case tho im saving up for 2 ultras instead.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 175
I wouldn't upgrade from PB2000 to Plus. I'd step up to the Ultras. It's not like you have one PB1000- dual Plus's would be a large upgrade.

Save your money, or spend it elseware.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post

Ok have some questions regarding the PC12-PLUS vs my dual PB-2000s. Assuming all factors are equal (same movie, same scene, same volume, same mlp) will a pair of PC12-PLUS sound or feel better/different from my current dual PB-2000 setup?

I'm trying to grasp exactly what people experience with higher end subs if the lower end (not that a PB2000 is low ha) ones are capable of hitting low frequencies. I don't necessarily need imax levels but I want to have very DEEP, controlled bass. I enjoy what I hear/feel now but there's a sense of wondering what the next step up would bring me.

Upgrading to a pair of plus subs would be realistically my highest financial upgrade possible and I'm ok with making the jump if it'll be worth the extra $ over what I have invested in the 2000s.

My room is about 2500cu ft so I know that it doesn't take much to pressurize but I'm uncertain how different subs sound from one another.

You get to run them in 16Hertz mode and now your getting a bunch more content to feel and if needed a lot more clean output
post #5 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM

With 2 pc12+s vs 2 pb2000s you get more than 10 db more output at 16 hertz that's a huge upgrade
post #6 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I also think of that ultra, it's a thing of beauty. I could swing one now but a second would be a long ways away. "clean output" is a phrase I like hearing. I haven't had much if any to complain about but I just wonder what the others sound like. I don't like the idea of giving up a dual setup, even if it's "temporary" but it seems as though an ultra would be biblical in my smallish room
post #7 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtallguy View Post

With 2 pc12+s vs 2 pb2000s you get more than 10 db more output at 16 hertz that's a huge upgrade

I guess I'm having a tough time with how more output will SOUND in real time, at the same volume level as a sub with less output. Only one way to find out I suppose ha.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah its gonna be expensive and I hate to give up duals temp. So thats why ill just order 2 ultras at the same time. Plus u know that this setup is the highest you could go with the company it should put a end to the wondering... at least for alittle while
post #9 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 175
And there is also overkill, ie what I did a PC Ultra 13 in a 30m2 room.

Are you running out of steam from your subs?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #10 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM

All I can help with is that I know how my system sounds in 20 hertz tune vs 16 hz and I never want to go back to 20 hertz. Movies just have a more solid (full sounding) impact down low when needed
post #11 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 45
So once you upgrade to the 12 Plus or Ultra's, will this take away the "I wonder" question or will it come back with "Hmmm. I wonder if I could get more extension with cleaner bass if I went with a couple of Submersive's or Orbital Shifters, or Cap 2's or S2's?"

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend, WAF and space. Then if none of these bother you, then skip the upgrade path a few steps ahead and go for the best, which I believe are the subs I listed. Or DIY.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #12 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
More like the old mid-bass vs extension conundrum:)

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I don't feel I'm "running out of steam" but wonder what the quality of a more expensive sub offers. I don't need quality above reference levels since the room isn't terribly big but going down to 16Hz with authority is what sparked this thread. Placement/size isn't an issue nor is WAF (a term which I loathe btw. No one should impede you from buying what you want but that's another thread ha). Funds are an issue now since I bought a fixer upper but one ultra or two PC12-Plus could be possible. Just trying to get a feel for how worth it this jump would be.

I highly doubt I'd be wondering what a sub higher than the ultra would sound like since any of those are unobtainable financially.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks View Post

I don't feel I'm "running out of steam" but wonder what the quality of a more expensive sub offers. I don't need quality above reference levels since the room isn't terribly big but going down to 16Hz with authority is what sparked this thread. Placement/size isn't an issue nor is WAF (a term which I loathe btw. No one should impede you from buying what you want but that's another thread ha). Funds are an issue now since I bought a fixer upper but one ultra or two PC12-Plus could be possible. Just trying to get a feel for how worth it this jump would be.

I highly doubt I'd be wondering what a sub higher than the ultra would sound like since any of those are unobtainable financially.
This can get expensive very quickly. Have you considered the vented PSA subs?

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post

This can get expensive very quickly. Have you considered the vented PSA subs?

Yes it's one expensive hobby for sure ha. I looked at PSA and spoke with Tom a few times but something tells me I want to stick with SVS.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think you'll run into the problem of when is it enough. I currently own dual PB2000s in a 1900 cu ft room and although it is nice, it isn't anywhere near what I know it could sound like. I used to have a JL 13w7 with 1400W RMS in a tiny car and when it hit the low notes, your eyes vibrated and your face felt like it was rippling. It was a very unusual experience but a very awesome one. Now do you need that in your home theater? Probably not, but it goes to show that there is always something more.

Have you taken any measurements of your subwoofers? If so, could you post those so members here have an idea on what your current subs are capable of in your room.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #17 of 17 Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any type of measuring equipment unfortunately. Just my ears. I don't believe I'll keep wondering what else is out there if I have a plus or ultra because those are at the high end of my realistic budget. A ZO6 vette is my favorite car but it's unrealistic so I'm more than happy with my Focus ST. However, I COULD go more than my dual PB-2000s now but whether or not I should is what I'm researching.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb12 Plus Black Oak 12 Inch 800 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb2000
Gear in this thread - Pb2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page