MUST READ! BEST $500 subwoofer! INFO & advice for FIRST time buyers! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25

Decided to write this SHORT post for first time subwoofer purchasers in the $500 range.  

Some background -> I spent 3 years during university buying and selling audio equipment.  I have experienced MANY brands, designs, and quality.  Also, I had to study and research for hours to obtain the knowledge and science behind audio and video equipment.  In regards to subwoofers only I have experienced: Energy XL 8/10/12 & s10.3(very good), Mirage s10(good) Mirage ps12, Mirage BP100, Mirage BP150, klipsch some 8" one, polk micropro 3000 (very good), sunfire true (ok), Paradigm ps1200, paradigm pw2200 (great), velodyne vx 10, velodyne cht12, velodyne dls12, velodyne dls15, and more...  

That being said jump right to it!

BEST $500 subwoofer -> SVS PB1000 

WHY?

-> 5 YEAR WARRANTY!! No matter what you have a subwoofer for 5 years!  NO other company offers a warranty like this for subwoofers.  Most have 1-2 years on the amp and 1-5 years on the driver.  SVS subwoofers are BULLET PROOF!  AND the first year you can trade up to FULL value!!  Can NOT beat this!

-> BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE!!  Anyone that are on the forums or in the business/hobby KNOW you can NOT beat SVS in customer service.

-> BEST & SAFE shipping & packaging so NO shipping damage!  Before my purchase I TRIED to find bad reviews on SVS shipping or if by chance you pay for it and get ripped off (I know paranoid but it happens online).. If you are buying ONLINE or SHIPPING DO NOT WORRY!

-> BEST FOR LAST -> PERFORMACE and more!!

The BEST thing about the PB-1000 is EVERYTHING... Let me explain.

Extension -> SOLID 20hz, with room game some will get down to 16hz.  You WILL FEEL the pressure!  This subwoofer is tuned under 25hz, so it plays 20hz just as easy as 60hz... Does not bottom out when it needs to dig deep.  

Frequency response -> perfectly FLAT down to 20hz. MOST lower with room gain! Most subwoofers under $500 can NOT play the last octave and they over play the 40-60hz range.  This subwoofer also plays higher frequency, so you can EASILY integrate this subwoofer with bookshelf and cut the speakers off at 80/100/120. 

Driver quality -> FULL 1 INCH excursion!!  Big surround that is NOT foam, so it will NOT deteriorate.  Super fast driver, 10" and HIGH power!

Amp -> VERY powerful!  300 true watts RMS/720 peak class D and runs COOL!  More than enough power.

Box -> HUGE box, big port allows this 10" to outperform ANY 10" HT subwoofer on the market. Also has an AMAZING finish!

Features -> "DSP control for accurate response and refined behavior under all operating conditions." Because of this, the distortion is VERY LOW even at HIGH volumes right down to 20hz!!

SUM IT UP!

The SVS PB1000 will play VERY loud!  Distortion free! Down to 20hz with authority! FLAT/and NEVER die!
Yes almost to good to be true... After reading it, I feel like everyone will think I either work with SVS or I'm one HUGE fanboy! Hahaha

More experiences, additional notes and recommendations:

The SVS PB1000 -> OUTPERFORMS all previous 10" SVS models!  (SVS support informed me) -> I know some will not believe it because of the weight difference in the driver.  I suppose the new driver is lighter, moves faster, more efficiently, the DSP is amazing and controls the driver better, and potentially a great XmaX.

My listening room is about (in feet) -> 12L*24W*10H, open concept to a hallway, and open concept to small kitchen 10L*12W*10H, ALSO open to OUTSIDE door.  Additionally my main room has 2 windows OPEN both 2*3 feet and the kitchen has one as well.  This is a very HARD listening area to pressurize!!  The SVS does it with EASE!  You will FEEL the movies and some music.  The subwoofer is VERY powerful!  You will even feel it in the couch.  My place is ALL tile, and under is cement and you can feel the energy on the floor.  The sound is VERY clean, you will hear all the different notes!  Very smooth, yet powerful!

Compared to the others I have owned -> Paradigm pw2200 is the BEST comparison.  The paradigm would go a bit louder maybe 3 MAX 6 db more in the 30-80hz range.  The SVS is WAY better below 25hz!!  Also the SVS has less distortion and plays FLAT, unlike the paradigm.  However the Paradigm was a great subwoofer still.  The micropro was awesome.  Had the BEST sounding punch I have heard, and low distortion.  But the SVS plays under 35hz WAY better.  The SVS has less distortion but the polk was tighter sounding.  I think this is because of the port vs. sealed/rad design.  The ENERGY 10.3 was very good and good punch not near the polks.  But under 30hz could not touch the SVS.  The sunfire was cool... But could not handle high SPL or below 30hz well.

At the end of the day overall the SVS is better than ALL the subwoofers I have owned.  The closest competitor is the pw2200.  Both new same price, I would pick the SVS.  But if I could get say 2 used for $650 U.S. or under I may do it.  But then again the PW2000 is close...  Anyways you get my point, the SVS PB1000 best ALL the subs I've had before.

If you have $500 MAX for a subwoofer... LOOK NO FURTHER, just get it!  If your max budget is $1000 I would get 2 of these....  Trust me 2 subwoofers is WAY better than 1!!  

I know a lot of people are going to ask about the MONO, HSU, Rythmic and all kinds of other ID companies.  So let me clear it up one time.
GO WITH SVS!  WHY you ask? -> THEY GIVE YOU 5 YEAR WARRANY and are the MOST trusted ID company in the business....  And you can NOT find bad reviews on their service or product... 

PERSONAL opinions regarding this topic.  (NOTE:  I DO NOT OWN THE MONO OR other ID units, I'm just putting my OPINION and INPUT)

The mono and some other ID companies may have a subwoofer capable of producing higher SPL.  BUT the SVS will be cleaner, tighter and better quality.  As well because the tuning point is so low and with the DSP chip it will play FLAT, LOW and NOT distorted. Basically you are choosing and sacrificing. 

With SVS you get -> Better warranty, better customer service, lower distortion, linear response and authority down to 20hz.

With MONO you get -> A bit more volume.

To me... It is a NO brainer!

I really meant for this to be short... Sorry!!  I hope this helps anyone looking to make a subwoofer purchase in the $500 range!  I know it seems very one sided, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.  At the end of the day buy what makes you happy!  

Special thanks goes to MIKE and SVS representatives Jack Gilvey and Ed Mullen 

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK SVS!

steve nn and kaiforce like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I think you are a little overenthusiastic.

post #3 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Are you on commission?

(I know that you're not as SVS don't work that way, but your post makes it sound like it.)

Also, you don't need to SHOUT as we're not DEAF.

Thank you please.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with your new purchase. If you're like a lot of us, it will merely be a stepping stone to bigger and crazier things.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #4 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I wrote this post for those looking to purchase a subwoofer under $500.  I wanted to make their research and decision as easy as possible.  That being said I may come off a "little overenthusiastic" or as if I'm on commission.  I can assure you I am not, like Memx stated SVS does not work in that way.

Also I was not shouting, yet making it easier to read the important facts and opinions.

Thank you, I can not see anyone being unhappy with this purchase.  There is no better at that price point.

post #5 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I know the PB1000 is a great performer. Although I have not heard it. BUT I have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus subs that I got ON SALE for $499 each shipped. So my point is I think that my $499 LFM-1 Plus would outperform a $499 PB1000. Outlaw has sales about 2 times a year and basically always has the same prices on the Plus's so with that said at regular price the PB1000 is the best $500 sub but on sale I think the LFM-1 Plus is better.
KidHorn and deepat04 like this.

Shawn
post #6 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Let me sum up the OP...

SVS=Kicka$$!!!
Anodyne likes this.
post #7 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
The OP has made the thesis, now let me present the antithesis. The PB1000 doesn't look bad for the money, but not great. From everything that is known about it, I think there are better choices for the same price. First of all, you claim that it plays 20 Hz with authority, but according to third party measurements it is down 6 dB by 20 Hz, which is technically within SVS's frequency response claim, but not exactly a beast down there. Also a '1" excursion' isn't really that impressive, sorry. It seems like your trying to mix people up into thinking a 1" xmax which would be something, but no way that driver has 1" xmax.

Secondly, it runs into a lot of distortion if you try to push it to any palpable levels at that point. In my opinion, this sub can not reach worthwhile output levels to justify its deep tuning point. A better compromise would have been a higher tuning point for more output and less distortion.

Third, you claim it's extraordinarily loud, but according to SVS it can not even get as loud as a PB12 NSD, and, with some of the lowest CEA meassurements for mid and upper bass on data-bass, the NSD was not exactly an output king. If the PB1000 were on data-bass, it would be the worst performing sub for mid and upper bass output out of all subs measured there, even worse than the goofy 10" from B&W and the budget BIC sub.

If I had $500, I would be far more interested in the Reaction BPS 212 Turbo. With two 12"s, I am betting the Reaction will destroy the PB1000 starting at the upper 20s and above. The PB1000 should have a port advantage in the upper teens and lower 20s, but who cares since it doesn't have enough output for that region to matter. I am betting in a blind shootout a lot more people would prefer the Reaction. I think the Hsu VTF1 might also make more sense, at least in 2 port mode. No doubt the PB1000 will have more deep bass output, but I think the VTF1 in 2 port mode will do better at 30 Hz and above, which means decent performance for music. I would rather give up deep frequencies and have good performance for music than have middling performance for both music and movies. In a large room, the Premiere Acoustics PA-150 would be a much better choice than the PB1000 and can be had for $400 last I heard. With the PA-150 having many times the mid and upper bass output, the PB1000 would be like a whisper in comparison. And if you can spend just a $100 more than the cost of a PB1000, you can get a Hsu VTF2 or Rythmik LV12r, either of which will likely far outperform it in every respect, not to mention the famed Outlaw sales, which puts the LFM Plus at the same price thereby making it a no-brainer.

In the face of all this, the PB1000 just does not look like an interesting option at its price point, sorry.
post #8 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

ShadyJ -> Thank you for your input!!  

This is the type of comment I KNEW was going to come up!  Excellent!  Let me help again "Those looking to buy a $500 subwoofer and first time potential buyers of SVS"!

First thing distortion: ShadyJ has NO idea what he is talking about here.  The limiter built in the SVS unit does NOT allow it to distort like typical subwoofers.  

The PB-1000 goes VERY low.... In room response you will get a clean 16hz.... Check Sound and Visions test results here: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-svs-pb-1000-subwoofer-measurements

This shows with NO reflective boundaries the SVS hits 20 Hz at 110.6 dB and 25 Hz at 113.0 dB.  So YES the PB1000 is down -3db from 25hz tdown to 20hz.. BUT in a REAL LIFE situation in a ROOM with ROOM gain most will get +6db BOOST in the last octive... Making the SVS pb1000 FLAT with 90% of people getting a bit of a HUMP in the last octave!!

If ANYONE looks up the OLDER SVS 10 inch models and look at the reviews... The frequency response in rooms for those who have measured you will see EVERYONE who has had one experienced TRUE 20hz solid bass, and this is the BEST 10 inch SVS model thus far...

The PB-1000 is so powerful it is the SAME as the NSD 12 inch, only -3 db down in the last octave... Again look up this highly regarded subwoofer, you will not see a bad review.  

I KNOW that Rythmik, HSU, and other internet direct subwoofers are great!!  But for $500 NO more, you can NOT get better than this SVS!

If you do NOT care how your subwoofer sounds, and just want the loudest sounds coming out of the speaker then yes you are correct when saying the PA-150 would over power the SVS.  The only problem is the PA sounds horrible, and can not play lower than 30hz.  You will basically only hear one note that is playing 2-5 times louder than it should be.

At the end of the day, SVS DOES sacrifice some OUTPUT, but in return we get the best warranty, customer service, a linear frequency response and a subwoofer that sounds amazing at ALL levels that will last at least 5 years!

Again, if you only have $500, do not think and waste time... Just buy it!  The only negative feedback are from those that are "GUESSING" like ShadyJ is doing.  Also just look up the reviews of the paradigm pw2200 V2.  A great subwoofer that again can play a bit louder than the SVS but NO comparison across the board, the SVS blows it away!  Even the Sunfire True which cost over $2000, it can NOT come close to comparison!  

I hope this helps!

post #9 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you haven't heard, but Sound and Vision measured their PB1000 wrong. Their own tests have it outperforming the PB12 NSD and coming in not too far from the PC13 Ultra. Those results are, of course, nonsense and contradict SVS' own performance claims for it. You say SVS doesn't permit distortion, I linked to third party THD measurements that shows a lot of distortion at 20 Hz right there. You say it hits 16 Hz, well there is an unsmoothed third party measurement showing it is down something like 20 dB at 16 Hz at which point it would only be generating distortion. But hey, if the guy who measured the PB1000 wrong is saying there is 16 Hz output coming from it despite actual measurements, that settles it. After all, who are you going to believe, him or your lyin' eyes? I'm glad to see your happy with your sub, and if you like it that much, you should hear what a real sub sounds like someday.
post #10 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

ShadyJ thanks for the reply!

Could you be so kind to post us the link to his write-up please?  I'm sure we would all love to see the full story.

Here is a link from a very creditable source: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/66069-svs-pb1000-sb1000-subwoofer-review.html

He used a "XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro" to measure the PB-1000.  To sum up his results, the svs measured flat down to 20hz... He also mentions a few times about how you will feel the bass from the PB1000, and the kick in the chest.

Again, for $500 and the warranty, trade in, low distortion, spl, frequency response, build quality, you can't go wrong!  Some people now a days getting multiple subwoofers... You can get 2 for $950... It's amazing value!  And yes so are the HSU, and other internet direct companies BUT for the $500 class nothing beats it....  You're comparing it to subwoofers costing more...  And most will say you need to hear it before judging -> There has NOT been a single bad review of any of the SVS 10" subs, and this is the best one.  This has to mean something.

Hope this helps.

post #11 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

Are you on commission?

(I know that you're not as SVS don't work that way, but your post makes it sound like it.)

Also, you don't need to SHOUT as we're not DEAF.

Thank you please.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with your new purchase. If you're like a lot of us, it will merely be a stepping stone to bigger and crazier things.

You do realize that you are on a computer right? JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS USING CAPS dose not mean you have to be shouting at the top of you're lungs to read it to yourself...

Or are you just "that" committed? If so than bravo

Slow clap everybody

post #12 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Those measurements I linked to are from this review. Also Jim Wilson's reviews are anything but credible. He is reviews only exist to generate blurbs because he gives effusive praise to every single sub he has tried, no matter how ridiculous it is. By the way, you will need a lot more than 100 dB for a kick in the chest feeling. Or, like it says in the above review, "What the SVS PB-1000 can’t do is punch you in the chest." Jim knows that as well, but it doesn't matter because his reviews are entirely subjective and therefore nothing he writes can be challenged. By the way, the XTZ room analyzer is great for measuring room acoustics, but not for measuring speakers and subs themselves. I don't know why you felt compelled to mention that. Jim doesn't have any usable measurements in his reviews.
post #13 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

All I'm saying here is that the PB-1000 is the best $500 option.  As well ALL the SVS, HSU, AND other internet direct companies all offer great value.  All depends in what you are looking for.

The case here is for $500.... And for the warranty, 1 year free full value trade in, overall amazing performance for $500 you CANT go wrong!

Again everyone who has ever had one says nothing but great things!  All of us say it goes solid in the 20hz.. 

Again, the other ID subwoofers are also great depending on the purpose.

But when people like ShadyJ say things like "Reaction BPS 212 Turbo would destroy the pb-1000" you're making people that only have $500 think there are no good subwoofers for that price...  And your comment is stupid...  They only play down to 24hz +/- 3.5db... The SVS will play lower with more authority.. The 212 will just play the 30-80hz louder.. So it will not be flat...  Less extension... So the SVS is better in other areas...

Everything is a trade off... But when you look at the big picture, and for $500 MAX for a subwoofer... The SVS PB-1000 is the best option....

post #14 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
The BPS212 Turbo is rated +/-3.5db down to 24hz open ground plane. Place the sub in a room and it will extend much deeper then the PB-1000. I agree that the PB-1000 is highly regarded for its price point and I am glad you are happy with it. I can not say if it is the best 500.00 dollar sub, but when you factor in all of SVS perks it definitely makes a stong case to be a leader. Thanks for sharing your opinion, nothing wrong with what you have said. smile.gif
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and deepat04 like this.
post #15 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

The BPS212 Turbo is rated +/-3.5db down to 24hz open ground plane. Place the sub in a room and it will extend much deeper then the PB-1000. I agree that the PB-1000 is highly regarded for its price point and I am glad you are happy with it. I can not say if it is the best 500.00 dollar sub, but when you factor in all of SVS perks it definitely makes a stong case to be a leader. Thanks for sharing your opinion, nothing wrong with what you have said. smile.gif

While I am very grateful for the mention in this thread I must point out that I would not be certain that our 212 can extend lower than the PB-1000.
I would not feel good about not pointing that out.
We do employ a subsonic filter around 20hz on our subs as do many in the price range of our line.
This is to protect from over excursion and undue strain on the amplifier. It's not a "brick wall" and yes in some rooms there will be use-able extension below.
But in many rooms where boundary and room gain is not sufficient, this is not a guaranteed result.

Different rooms and different tastes will determine which tool is the right one for a particular job.
Different design goals serve different needs and tastes.
In the case of a sealed sub with two 12" drivers, a lot of displacement makes for a lot of headroom in the mid-bass and a lot of impact in that region from 35-80 hz.
When you compare that to a ported sub it too will have it's advantages, particularly the huge increase in efficiency from the port tuning somewhere between 20-25hz .
And as a result have an extremely flat response and max output curve that will better suit rooms where boundary gain is not sufficient.

SVS makes extremely fine products and I am honored to have ours even mentioned in the same thread.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #16 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
classy response Jeremy. ty.

I'd very much like to hear your product someday, but I've recently decided to 'swim to the deep end' and go DIY.
good luck with your products and your business!

It's for 'wall hung dude', and no, I don't need any help to 'hook-up'.... sheesh ... dirty minds around these parts....
post #17 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

While I am very grateful for the mention in this thread I must point out that I would not be certain that our 212 can extend lower than the PB-1000.
I would not feel good about not pointing that out.
We do employ a subsonic filter around 20hz on our subs as do many in the price range of our line.
This is to protect from over excursion and undue strain on the amplifier. It's not a "brick wall" and yes in some rooms there will be use-able extension below.
But in many rooms where boundary and room gain is not sufficient, this is not a guaranteed result.

Different rooms and different tastes will determine which tool is the right one for a particular job.
Different design goals serve different needs and tastes.
In the case of a sealed sub with two 12" drivers, a lot of displacement makes for a lot of headroom in the mid-bass and a lot of impact in that region from 35-80 hz.
When you compare that to a ported sub it too will have it's advantages, particularly the huge increase in efficiency from the port tuning somewhere between 20-25hz .
And as a result have an extremely flat response and max output curve that will better suit rooms where boundary gain is not sufficient.

SVS makes extremely fine products and I am honored to have ours even mentioned in the same thread.

Thanks for your honesty!! I was not aware of the sub-sonic filter.
post #18 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 715
I didn't realize that the PB1000 had a 10" and the SB1000 has a12". Seems strange they would use the same model with different size drivers

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #19 of 123 Old 02-28-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like both 1000 sub drivers are using the same motor, maybe the 1000 signifies that.
post #20 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
OP, the PB1000 is a very popular choice at $500 and for good reason. But not everyone's needs are identical. If your goal is to fill a large room with $500, taking a close look at a PA-150 or waiting for the Outlaw to go on sale are better options for max output. If aesthetics are your priority an EMPTEK ES 1010i or the SB1000 are better suited to fill that need. Or you simply poses a weak emotion and all of your energy is concentrated on finding a flaw in anything SVS related, you should look into HSU wink.gif .

See the only constant here is price, if $500 is max budget the PB1000 has earned its place on the list, but user requirements vary, whats great in today's subwoofer market is, when it comes to good options, there is more then one.

Congrats on your subwoofer.
post #21 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ok...

Like edgebsl said, the 212 is a sealed design... I believe bi-polar design.  The SVS is tuned under 25hz...  The 212 is tuned above 30 hz...  The PB-1000 will have BETTER under 30hz frequency response like I mentioned earlier, however I am NOT saying the SVS will play louder across the board.. It will play lower and more linear.  Also the PB retails for much less $$.

deepat04, you are correct with the PA-150... It will sound horrible, have no response under 30hz, and play 40-80 hz way louder than it should making the subwoofer sound boomy and bloated.  The PA-150 is good if you have a small budget and a HUGE listening room and just want it to be heard.

Again, for the price, you can not beat the PB1000.

And yes the PB1000 has a 1" xmax.  The driver has excursion very similar to the Sunfire I have owned.  This subwoofer just has a better more efficient design so it actually sounds good and plays the whole spectrum.  

Like anyone will say... It all comes down to what the buyer wants.  But if you want the safest purchase it IS THE SVS...  Worse case lose NO money and send it back and upgrade in a year if you need something bigger... Or add a second one... Or sell it on Canuckaudio or audiogon etc..  You have options with an SVS.  Also they give you a 45 day in house trial....  Can't go wrong!

Hope this helps.

post #22 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
The PB1000 is a great sub for the price. I would guess it would be in almost everyone's top 5 in that price range. I think the outlaw on sale for $499 with free shipping (Assuming it goes on sale at this price in the future) is better in every way except for warranty.
post #23 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyfit View Post

deepat04
, you are correct with the PA-150... It will sound horrible, have no response under 30hz, and play 40-80 hz way louder than it should making the subwoofer sound boomy and bloated.  The PA-150 is good if you have a small budget and a HUGE listening room and just want it to be heard.

While I agree that the PB-1000 would likely be the better choice than the PA-150 in many situations, that's not just accurate. A sub that has most of it's emphasis from 40-80hz like the PA-150 does not necessarily sound boomy. In fact, it may sound punchy, since that's the midbass slam area.

Second, the PA-150 is known for having pretty good SQ, good enough that I wouldn't bet that the PB-1000 has significantly better such that the PA-150 would have "horrible."

So unless you are listening to these other subs and comparing them, be careful about making statements that are wild speculation. AVS is not a sports team forum. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #24 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Ok...

Like edgebsl
 said, the 212 is a sealed design... I believe bi-polar design.  The SVS is tuned under 25hz...  The 212 is tuned above 30 hz...  The PB-1000 will have BETTER under 30hz frequency response like I mentioned earlier, however I am NOT saying the SVS will play louder across the board.. It will play lower and more linear.  Also the PB retails for much less $$.

deepat04
, you are correct with the PA-150... It will sound horrible, have no response under 30hz, and play 40-80 hz way louder than it should making the subwoofer sound boomy and bloated.  The PA-150 is good if you have a small budget and a HUGE listening room and just want it to be heard.

Again, for the price, you can not beat the PB1000.

And yes the PB1000 has a 1" xmax.  The driver has excursion very similar to the Sunfire I have owned.  This subwoofer just has a better more efficient design so it actually sounds good and plays the whole spectrum.  

Like anyone will say... It all comes down to what the buyer wants.  But if you want the safest purchase it IS THE SVS...  Worse case lose NO money and send it back and upgrade in a year if you need something bigger... Or add a second one... Or sell it on Canuckaudio or audiogon etc..  You have options with an SVS.  Also they give you a 45 day in house trial....  Can't go wrong!

Hope this helps.

Have you personally listened to the PA-150?
post #25 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Great discussion going on here guys!  Excellent work!

The Outlaw when on sale for $499 is an AMAZING bargain!  No one can disagree on that!!  BUT ---> 

If you reference DATA-BASS.COM they quote: "Two or three would make for a nice low frequency system with great output capabilities; however, a single LFM-1 EX could not quite pull off the required output for uncompressed home theater playback in a 4000 cubic foot room, but two should do the trick."

Now reference a subwoofer by SVS on DATA-BASS.COM in the same price class(PB-12NSD): "This is SVS's entry level vented subwoofer and utilizes a generous sized vented enclosure with a front firing 4" flared port and a 12" aluminum cone driver. The driver is a quality piece which is modified to SVS's specifications off of the Peerless XLS platform. The system tuning is at about 20Hz. The 400w rated amplifier is part of SVS's Sledge platform and is also a high quality piece. The enclosure is very solidly built and braced and comes in a black vinyl wrap as the only finish option. The curved perforated metal grill is another unique SVS feature. The sum total of these parts is a very impressive and good looking subwoofer for the as delivered price of $769. As usual SVS has tuned it to near perfection with ruler flat response cleanly extended top end, low distortion and bulletproof protection circuits. It isn't the loudest subwoofer in town but it is no weakling either and offers exceptional at the limit control and a healthy dose of output down to the 16-20Hz range for a modest investment. It also happens to sound as good as it's measurements suggest it should. Another very solidly executed product from SVS."

Now take into consideration that the PB-1000 has almost the SAME output as the 12NSD above 36HZ, and only down -3dB in the 18-36 Hz octave... 

Basically we can sum everything up...
SVS subwoofers play VERY flat and clean, and have true 20hz with the best warranty in the business.  SVS makes nothing but HIGH quality equipment.

On the downside SVS may have given up some output to achieve the listed above facts.  

At the end of the day... There is NO right or wrong answer...  ALL the major established internet direct companies are amazing value... The consumer must pick what is right for their situation.

For $500 you are risk free with the PB-1000.  Also for $500 the outlaw is awesome 2!  Either you can not go wrong.  

In regards to the PA-150... I've had a few friends from Canada try it, and they said it is great for MAXIMUM output.  That is the design for this subwoofer... It is not meant for critical listeners that want a flat response across the board.  But if you have a HUGE listening area and just need some pressure and volume, and you're on a budget... It can be amazing!

Hope this helps! 

post #26 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I own an SVS sub and Oultaw sub. I think both are great subs. And I think you do not know enough about what you are talking about. LOL

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #27 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post

Or you simply poses a weak emotion and all of your energy is concentrated on finding a flaw in anything SVS related, you should look into HSU wink.gif .

Cheap shot ....

The sentence could be re-worded THIS way, and still be valid to many :

Or you simply poses a weak emotion and all of your energy is concentrated on finding a flaw in anything HSU related, you should look into SVS wink.gif .

Frankly, the fan-boy sub-genre's (he he) on this site are kinda sad .... As was stated by the SVS contributor to this thread, different goals make for different decisions. Anyone who goes around and recommends ONE sub for all situations is over-simplifying what is a very complex subject ... human perception of bass response in a particular environment.

That said ... nice shot! Still cheap, but I got a chuckle out of it.
post #28 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

cel4145 -> My goal was to make a post to help people with their $500 subwoofer purchase.  I am trying to make it EASY for them to understand why the SVS is a good buy and but down on their research time, and take out some of the guess work.

You stated you own the Outlaw and the SVS and say they "both are great subs."

Thank you for supporting both these great companies, and helping others determine which is a good buy!

However, I feel some hostility directed towards me -> "And I think you do not know enough about what you are talking about. LOL" 

Very immature, and not helpful at all... But hey some people having nothing better to do than to try and put other down to make themselves feel better.  I hope it worked for you kid.

Cheers

Reference_head likes this.
post #29 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

RayGuy -> excellent input!

I wanted to make the recommendation just for the SVS-PB1000 for the best under $500 subwoofer.  That in itself was quite long and a bit time consuming.

Let me now clear the air.

If you want the most linear frequency response, output, build quality, warranty, trade in value, customer service, and under $500... It is the SVS PB-1000.

But like RayGuy has mentioned it is NOT the best for EVERYONE...

For example if you have a HUGE room and are on a budget it may be best to go with the PA-150.

Another example if you have no space for a big subwoofer you may want to go with the SVS-SB2000.

If you have $1000 and you want the best over all value, you may want to go with the 15" HSU...

But for $500, it will be very difficult to best the PB-1000.  The Outlaw on sale seems to be the only one.

Anyways, I hope this helps those with $500 needed a subwoofer... Since this is what this Forum is for...  Thanks for your insight anyways RayGuy.

post #30 of 123 Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

cel4145 -> My goal was to make a post to help people with their $500 subwoofer purchase.  I am trying to make it EASY for them to understand why the SVS is a good buy and but down on their research time, and take out some of the guess work.

You stated you own the Outlaw and the SVS and say they "both are great subs."

Thank you for supporting both these great companies, and helping others determine which is a good buy!

However, I feel some hostility directed towards me -> "And I think you do not know enough about what you are talking about. LOL" 

Very immature, and not helpful at all... But hey some people having nothing better to do than to try and put other down to make themselves feel better.  I hope it worked for you kid.

Not hostility. You are cherry picking information and posting a lot of untenable claims (I previously pointed out some). Wait until you know more before cheerleading so heavily. Right now, this reads like fanboy rhetoric. Learn to be more balanced and critical in your assessment.
laulau and deepat04 like this.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Hsu Research , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb2000 , Xs30 , Xv15 , Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex
Gear in this thread - Sb1000 by PriceGrabber.com