Connecting Mordaunt Short MS309SW to Marantz NR1604 LFE output - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Connecting Mordaunt Short MS309SW to Marantz NR1604 LFE output

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Cidious's Avatar Cidious
04:29 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 4
02-28-2014 | Posts: 9

I advice my dad to buy a Marantz NR1604 because it fits all his needs and its a pretty decent machine for his setup. Everything is fine except I overlooked connecting the subwoofer.

He bought a Mordaunt Short MS309SW with only 2 line in connectors. I am not familiar with connecting subwoofers trough 2x line in connecters. I have always used a dedicated LFE port.

Googling about this problem gave me the solution to use a Y splitter to connect to the 2 RCA connectors.. But splitters are not my preference because every extra link can be a weakness.. 

What is the best solution for connecting this sub to the receiver and what kind of cable would I need to do it?

(BTW this is not his sub.. this is just a picture of a poor abused sub from the internet haha)

Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
06:41 AM Liked: 491
post #2 of 4
03-01-2014 | Posts: 7,579
A single RCA cable from the receiver's subwoofer preamp output to either of the subwoofer's Line In RCA connections will work just fine.

Internally, the subwoofer adds its Left and Right inputs together to produce a single audio output. It doesn't care which input you use, or whether you use just one or both. Using both simultaneously would double the subwoofer's output for a particular input signal level, but the Audyssey calibration would just reduce the receiver's output to compensate. The subwoofer is designed so it can be used with stereo (2 channel) receivers or amplifiers which don't have a dedicated subwoofer output or bass management. The 1604 has both.
Cidious's Avatar Cidious
06:00 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 4
03-06-2014 | Posts: 9

Thnx for you reply. I concluded the same already by googeling en connecting the sub both ways and experiencing the difference myself. It works perfectly with one decent cable.

Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
03:50 PM Liked: 491
post #4 of 4
03-06-2014 | Posts: 7,579
Great!

Thanks for the verification.
Tags: Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread