Need help with SVS sub selection for new Media room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Just to give you a quick recap on situation. I recently built a new house and had my dealer run the wires pre installation. I have a budget around 10-12k for everything. Including screen, projector, speakers, sub, receiver, av rack.

I already have the furniture so the 10-12k will go into the audio/video and installation which will be around 1,200.

These dealers use epson and JVC. For sound they use Paradigm, Triad. For screen selection you have Da-lite or Stewart. Yamaha is the reciever I think I am going to use as well. " from doing my research on here It looks like I will purchase my sub separately from SVS since it seems you get more bang for your buck over paradigm."

Please I need some real help with this. I want to get the most bang for my buck. Also I should let you know that the system will be at least 7.1 and I think that the surround and rear speakers will be ceiling. Is that bad to do? should I get them to do wall instead? The front speakers will def be in wall? The size of the room is about 20x20 with 9foot ceiling. There is one small window on the right side of the room that is about 2ft wide and 3ft tall, but it will have a blackout curtain or shade on it at all times. also the room is fully carpeted.

Need some expert opinions as soon as possible, these guys are ready to order and install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I've got the PC12+ so that is the sub that I can speak about. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I've been thrilled with it. It packs a huge punch and I think it should be powerful enough to give you some serious bass. Of course, if you have a bit more money to spend look at the Ultra or possibly going getting two subs.

Not sure where you are on this, but I would say to go with the cyclinder over the box. I spent some time chatting with the guys over at SVS about this and they convinced me that there is no audiable advantage going with the cyclinder over the box. Wish I could say the thing will be meet with a ton of WAF (it won't, it's kind of ugly) but it's a lot less money for the same preformance.

What is your budget on the sub alone? I think that would be a huge help here.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #3 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently bought the PC13-ultra and I love it. My room is similar to yours, 17x22 with 10' ceilings. It more than fills my space with base that pounds on you.

As far as the surrounds ceiling would be ok, but if its not too late I would put them in the walls. the sound mixing in movies is designed with the notion that the surrounds will be on the side of you.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I would second not getting ceiling speakers- they're fine for non critical use ie passage way and bedroom, but not the main system.

As for which to get the cylinders take up hardly any space, if you want two again fit into a corner nicely, wheras two PB models are almost big as a washing machine.

I changed from a PCU13 to SBU13, the cylinder was just too much for my room in physical size.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page