Looking for input on sub choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted as rather long-winded thread a couple days ago, so I'll try to keep this short...
I need a sub for my 7.1 system. My current sub (Infinity HPS-500) has a blown amp, and a little rattle as well.

My choices-

A.) Replace Infinity HPS-500 blown amp with iNUKE NU1000DSP

B.) Dayton 1200

C.) Dayton 1500

D.) NXG NX-BAS-500

This is going into a basement theater room 12x30ish, mainly movies, but some music. Using an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, until I trade up to the TX-NR818...

Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any of those subs, but then I am noob tongue.gif lol

What is your budget? Would you consider DIY?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Great great reviews of the nxg. It's what I am ordering due to Jim Wilson's review on htshack.com. might wait for him to reply or send him a pm

post #4 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

MemX- my budget is >$300. I considered DYI, but my workspace is limited, and I have a whole host of projects to finish- finishing a barn tear-down, re-roofing the outbuilding, getting our house ready for the market, etc.. I have the tools and skills, just not the time. That and I'd really like to start watching all those movies I've been telling my wife I won't watch until the projector and surround system was up and running... smile.gif

PS3forlife- I read that article too and is what led me to its possibility. I was going to order from Home Depot, but now I may order from Radio Shack, I'll have to pay tax, but if there's a problem, I have a local return solution...
post #5 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 11:12 AM

I just ordered mine from av house on Amazon. Av house is a member of the forums also.

post #6 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10

Great! I too am curious about this price point. I just started looking for a subwoofer to compliment my Pioneer SP-PK52FS (without sub) and considering the the Epik Legend and Klipsh RW-12d subs are no longer available, I'm curious what is a good alternative.

post #7 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered mine from Radio Shack today. Had I realized they were sponsors, I likely would have ordered from AV House, but given my record with AV equipment as of late, the idea of paying to ship a speaker back because there is something wrong just seemed too likely.

Joker927- My head was spinning with all the options. At first it was the PL200, then the PA-150, then the Daytons... I'm going by Jim Wilson's review, and thought this would be the best bet. I'd offer to tell you how I like it, but honestly, I know squat about audio. smile.gif
post #8 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Don't know if av house is a sponsor. Just know I have seen them post in threads before. I did order mine supposed to be here in 6 days. No email confirmation yet but sometimes I don't get em in my email

post #9 of 15 Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
Boober you decided on a sub? Which one?

I'm currently upgrading from a set of z5500 and the sub on this set still amazes me so which is why I'm so cautious about picking a sub. I'm left wondering, what can sound better than this?
post #10 of 15 Old 03-07-2014, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Have you checked out the $300 sub thread? smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less
post #11 of 15 Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Joker927- I went with the NXG sub. I just wanted something that could do music and theater well, and I went with Jim Wilson's recommendation from his article. Still second guessing myself though. The Dayton's are probably fine for me, but I decided to get the better one in hopes of not having to upgrade in the not too distant future. Now I need to figure out what to do about my fronts. Leaning toward building a fusion quad, but I'm sceptical about how good they will sound with Dayton speakers...

And I recommend NOT checking out the >$300 sub thread... man it just gets confusing. smile.gif Seriously though, it would seem, if your looking at below $300- NXG, save some money but still want the big sub, Dayton 1500 and only want to drop $100- Dayton 1200 (which I hear is incredible for the price...)
post #12 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I finally got the sub on Monday, after Fed Ex couldn't find my house (that Fed Ex guy has been here plenty of times, he usually screws something up when he does come however...) and I had to wait the weekend to go pick it up. It is a powerful sub, but I haven't found the right setting for music with my LCR and surrounds. It seems to overpower them and not naturally blend with them. I've never really done any fine tuning on any of my set-ups before, and don't want to spend too much time on a receiver that is only being used as a backup right now, but hopefully, I can find a sweet spot without too much trouble. I will watch my first movie on it tomorrow or Friday, and see how it does with that next. Maybe the Matrix to put it through the paces...
post #13 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM

I set mine up per the manual until I get the rest of my speakers them I will use audessey. Mine is blending very nice. You can adjust the level on the back to tone it down some . Watched Pacific rim with mine. Simply amazing feels like the beast are walking in my house

post #14 of 15 Old 03-21-2014, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3forlife View Post

I set mine up per the manual until I get the rest of my speakers them I will use audessey. Mine is blending very nice. You can adjust the level on the back to tone it down some . Watched Pacific rim with mine. Simply amazing feels like the beast are walking in my house

WAIT.... YOU READ THE MANUAL??? I thought that was just there for added packing... biggrin.gif

Today is my birthday, so I am laying off the job search for the day and am heading to the gym for a workout. I guess I can bring the manual with my to the gym and read through it while I do the recumbent bike. I also need to find the remote for the receiver to tune it. Our sitting area is several feet from the tuner, and I can't level the surrounds from there... I have no idea what happened to the tuning mic that came with it...

Afterwards, it's home to watch "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" and really test it out with a movie, since I haven't had a chance as of yet still, (especially since the wifey doesn't like movies too "loud...." )

Waiting on the 3D glasses to watch Pacific Rim, Gravity and Thor 2...
post #15 of 15 Old 03-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Well happy birthday. Amazingly I did read the manual. Ha ha. I don't know enough about setting this stuff up to not read it. It actually really helped. Pacific rim is amazing with it. Let us know how it works out watching your movie.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Behringer Nu1000dsp Inuke Power Amplifier , Dayton Audio Sub 1200 12 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Dayton Audio Sub 1500 15 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr818 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page