If money were no object, which sub(s) would you pick for your room? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 206 Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 33
WOW so many good choices but hands down 2 Sub2's from paradigm or and I say or because i never heard of Power Sound Audio Triax. These look like they would be awesome, the specs are great Comparison_Mini_Chart_TriaxJPEG.jpg 27k .jpg file

Does anyone have these or heard them before? I am looking to add a second sub, so far I cannot fnd another sub25. The sub2 is out of reach i would say, but the triax is intriging
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison_Mini_Chart_TriaxJPEG.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	76558  

Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts(2)
Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back(2)
Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel(1)
Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides(2)
Paradigm Signature Sub25 - 2nd one coming
Pioneer Elite SC-89 & Pioneer Elite BDP88-FD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 206 Old 03-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

smile.gif I like..Wet dream indeed.. We'll keep the Mac's...
But since money is no object, I'll take 4 of the big bros, thank you biggrin.gif

And a set of these please biggrin.gif
Now that's what I'm talking about. Finally a man that understands money is no object.

Moving Heaven and Earth one Sub at a Time.
post #63 of 206 Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
Since the room is always a part of the system, it would have to be incorporated into and as a part of any dream system. In other words, the dream system starts with a dream room, than you can move onto gear. For bass, you want to contain the air pressure and not let any leak out. A thick concrete wall would be good here. You would also want the room shaped in such a way to minimize nulls and cancellations at the listening position. I'm guessing that the idea room would have no flat surfaces, just curved surfaces to diffuse the waves and prevent cancellation. You would need plenty of power, so lots of high amp circuits available. It should be heavily treated, so all the frequencies sound nice, not just bass. You wouldn't want a large room, maybe something sized in such a way to optimize pressure vessel gain.
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #64 of 206 Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Since the room is always a part of the system, it would have to be incorporated into and as a part of any dream system. In other words, the dream system starts with a dream room, than you can move onto gear. For bass, you want to contain the air pressure and not let any leak out. A thick concrete wall would be good here. You would also want the room shaped in such a way to minimize nulls and cancellations at the listening position. I'm guessing that the idea room would have no flat surfaces, just curved surfaces to diffuse the waves and prevent cancellation. You would need plenty of power, so lots of high amp circuits available. It should be heavily treated, so all the frequencies sound nice, not just bass. You wouldn't want a large room, maybe something sized in such a way to optimize pressure vessel gain.

Indeed. With the rotary sub I mentioned that would mean significant alterations and a proper space for installation. Might need a proper built house, not just room!
post #65 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Thanks for describing my room, even though you have not been in it!!! cool.gif Apart from curved surfaces that is.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #66 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Racks cool equipment better than bookshelves and your gear will last longer is one positive there. A low cost and small formfactor outboard eq is something like the miniDSP. You can spend less than $1k and get Audyssey XT32, too: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr818/onkyo-tx-nr818-7.2-ch-thx-certified-network-a/v-receiver/1.html

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have the miniDSP, just struggling a bit with an output issue.  The upgraded AVR equipment rack route is an option down the road, but will likely be next year as I have basically been building my entire system from scratch since late last year.  I still need to upgrade my second sub later this year.  I think I win the award for most mismatched subwoofer combo ever.  For me, WAF goes beyond asthetics.  I have to put some time behind my recent purchases, but I do see my next steps as surround speakers(soon), XS15 as my upgrade to the Polk(later this year), 70"(black friday?), new AVR and rack(next year).  I want dual sub output and eq ability when I change AVR's, and a second zone that can play a different source if that is possible.  Like some music outside and tv inside.

post #67 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Money is no object and I have what I have.

Congrats!  Subwoofer bliss :)  How about a picture and a graph?

post #68 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

This is with 4 of the IB subs playing, as I can only measure one channel at a time with REW and HDMI. Now double the RE XXX drivers get get an estimated SPL in room, add another 4 x LMS ultra 18's that I have started building for the corners of the room. And as long as I am getting over reference SPL levels @2hz I will never, ever leave me wanting more.

Pics of the 4 subs behind the screen.

Yeah, I know, I have to get my act together and get a few updated pics.
shadyJ and its phillip like this.

My build thread

post #69 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

This is with 4 of the IB subs playing, as I can only measure one channel at a time with REW and HDMI. Now double the RE XXX drivers get get an estimated SPL in room, add another 4 x LMS ultra 18's that I have started building for the corners of the room. And as long as I am getting over reference SPL levels @2hz I will never, ever leave me wanting more.

Wow! That's awesome.

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #70 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by whasaaaab View Post

WOW so many good choices but hands down 2 Sub2's from paradigm or and I say or because i never heard of Power Sound Audio Triax. These look like they would be awesome, the specs are great Comparison_Mini_Chart_TriaxJPEG.jpg 27k .jpg file

Does anyone have these or heard them before? I am looking to add a second sub, so far I cannot fnd another sub25. The sub2 is out of reach i would say, but the triax is intriging

I have 3 and they are amazing. Flat down to under 5hz in my room, even with 2 they were flat to 5hz. I would think they have more and deeper output than the Sub2 (as would the JTR S2)

Here is info from paradigms site about the Sub2

"Our Vibration-Canceling Design Architecture is only part of the story. There's still no replacement for displacement: In a small, compact form factor, six 10" drivers in SUB 2 move more air than a pair of 15" woofers! SUB 1's six 8" drivers move as much air as two 12" woofers. The other part of the story lies in the cutting-edge design of the bass drivers"

The triax has 3 15's

There is a dedicated triax thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
4 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in slanted boxes (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
3 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in Ported Boxes for LCR's
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #71 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is an awe-inspiring system JapanDave. A couple questions, how do measure 2 Hz? Also do you know how clean the output is down to the single digit frequencies, ie what kind of THD are you getting down there, at say Reference? At what SPL point does THD climb over 10% would you say?
post #72 of 206 Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 106
How bout a pair of 18in. Magico Q subs

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #73 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post

How bout a pair of 18in. Magico Q subs
Waste of money and I am the last person why should be saying so with $40K+ in subs spent.

My build thread

post #74 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am the last person why should be saying so with $40K+ in subs spent.

Not really, two Magico 18"s would still cost more than your system and only provide a small fraction of the performance.
post #75 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would get two ZU Audio Submission Subs! Great company, and Made in Ogden Utah, USA! I stopped by the factory/warehouse a few months ago, great products!

http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/submission
post #76 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 447
JapanDave,

at 2 Hz, the wavelength is around 500 feet. Much longer than a room dimension. Unless your room is huge, I would guess that everything below 10 Hz or so would sound and feel exactly the same. Basically the same as getting hit with a shock wave. I'm not sure if there's any benefit at all to being able to play 2Hz at reference as opposed to 10 Hz.
post #77 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty76 View Post

I would get two ZU Audio Submission Subs! Great company, and Made in Ogden Utah, USA! I stopped by the factory/warehouse a few months ago, great products!

Um they are charging $4k for a sub that uses a mid range 12" driver which retails costs $175. That ratio of parts to assembled unit cost is almost as bad as the Magico. $30k sub/$900 driver vs $4k sub/$175 driver, do the math.
post #78 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:

I can only imagine what Bill Fitzmaurice would say about this.... Zu Audio recommends if you run these subs in pairs to place them symmectrically in the front of the room as close to your L&R mains as possible.... Man this is some of the worst placement advice I'd ever heard.

Shawn
post #79 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Well, apparently you did the math for me! The Eminence driver isn't pricey, but it does the job! So why the $4K price tag? Perhaps its the internal components, research, made in USA and such? You have judged a book (Sub) by its cover (Driver)!
post #80 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Quote:

I can only imagine what Bill Fitzmaurice would say about this.... Zu Audio recommends if you run these subs in pairs to place them symmectrically in the front of the room as close to your L&R mains as possible.... Man this is some of the worst placement advice I'd ever heard.

It's not the worst placement advice. Placing them by the left and right mains will at least eliminate localization. It probably wouldn't be an optimal place for the FR though. In any case, it depends on the room.
post #81 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, apparently you did the math for me! The Eminence driver isn't pricey, but it does the job! So why the $4K price tag? Perhaps its the internal components, research, made in USA and such? You have judged a book (Sub) by its cover (Driver)!

Lol, the driver isn't the cover, it IS the internal components. All the rest of the internal components is just going to be stuffing and bracing, and by the way not made in the USA as the amp is Dutch. The 'cover' here is the varnished cabinet. I could almost understand the $4k price tag with those cheap components if it were some kind of complicated transmission line build, but its just a down-firing subwoofer.
post #82 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

You have judged a book (Sub) by its cover (Driver)!

In this case it's a pretty significant performance limitation; we are after all talking about a $4000 sealed subwoofer utilizing a single 12" woofer with moderate excursion capabilities motivated by a 400W Hypex amplifier. It's not going to compete well against some of the subs already mentioned on this thread such as the SubM (dual 15" drivers driven by a 2400W amp) and FW18.0 (18" driver driven by a 2400W amp), which notably are North American built (including the drivers & amps), and undercut the Zu on price.
post #83 of 206 Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Here we go again. C'mon, guys. Can't there be one thread that can remain on topic without devolving into insults (thankfully that post was removed) or railing on the cost of a particular piece of equipment? It is, after all, a thread that states: "Just a fun thread to see what everyone would choose if money were not an object.  Choose something that would be realistic as far as size goes for your space that you would actually want to have, and what you have now." That means, even the Magico and Zu Audio are legitimate choices.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #84 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I have 3 and they are amazing. Flat down to under 5hz in my room, even with 2 they were flat to 5hz. I would think they have more and deeper output than the Sub2 (as would the JTR S2)

Here is info from paradigms site about the Sub2

"Our Vibration-Canceling Design Architecture is only part of the story. There's still no replacement for displacement: In a small, compact form factor, six 10" drivers in SUB 2 move more air than a pair of 15" woofers! SUB 1's six 8" drivers move as much air as two 12" woofers. The other part of the story lies in the cutting-edge design of the bass drivers"

The triax has 3 15's

There is a dedicated triax thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492820/official-psa-triax-thread
Can you please elaborate how you are getting 3 Triax subs to play reference @ 5hz???

My build thread

post #85 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 2717
Quote:

Can you please elaborate how you are getting 3 Triax subs to play reference @ 5hz???

I think confusion is he said flat to 5hz, which I believe that is with a standard FR sweep around 80-90db. I do not think he is saying reference capable down to 5hz.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #86 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I think confusion is he said flat to 5hz, which I believe that is with a standard FR sweep around 80-90db. I do not think he is saying reference capable down to 5hz.

This is correct.

Here is a sweep I did before I got the 3rd. I can try to do a sweep at a higher lever this weekend. Would i need to do a 105 db sweep or 115db sweep to see reference? I had my avr at around -12 I believe when I did these sweeps.

audysseyxt32nosmoothing_zps712ae35c.jpg

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
4 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in slanted boxes (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
3 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in Ported Boxes for LCR's
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #87 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

... if money were not an object.  ...
Cost no object, ...

http://www.burwenaudio.com/images/BURWEN_STUDIO.jpg
http://www.burwenaudio.com/sitebuilder/images/BURWEN_SOUND_ROOM_PLAN-392x606.jpg
http://www.burwenaudio.com/Sound_System.html
biggrin.gif

"Beware of Salesmen: They are the modern Svengali, immune to Science and Reality"
post #88 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM

I certainly didn't expect to get the jabs about the ZU Subs! In my effort to bring the topic back in line, I would also pick the Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer! Its a beast at 411lbs and starting at $21,000!
post #89 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 96
If money were no object I would put in whatever subs the engineers installing my own personal IMAX theater recommended.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #90 of 206 Old 03-19-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Are we now just looking up expensive subs? You cares what they cost, some of us have what we have because of experiences with certain goals. I have the pleasure of having a small room so reference is easier than a smooth response. I don't need the big guns to get me there or nearly as many as others bu I still have plenty for my room. Showing compression sweeps will tell you how loud one can go at which frequency. Once it starts to compress that is the limit or the response starts to dramatically change. All the hard work for a smooth response goes out the door! Always strive to get headroom at your weakest link then you will be fine.

JapanDave,
What are you using to get a rise like that at 5 hz? Usually it happens two octaves above. Are you using a Bassis?
Scott Simonian likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2030 and 4 Yamaha P2500s amps.
speakers- 9 Behringer B215XL's
subs- SI 18ht x12 IB powered by Sanway FP14K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page