What should I expect from my subwoofer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi. Please let me know if there is a more suitable forum for asking this question. Hopefully this doesn't double post - I submitted but there was a bit of a glitch and hasn't showed up in my profile as a thread I've created so I'm assuming its not just being moderated.

So I just got a BIC F12 to add to my 2.0 setup. The other components are a Pioneer VSX-822K and Polk Monitor 60 Series II fronts.

I am not impressed so far. It is in a tiny 10 x 10 room alongside a wall, and I barely hear or feel anything out of the sub no matter where I am in the room. It has to be at half volume before I get any noticeable signal - the Polks have a better bass response as of right now. This can't be right, can it?

Crossover is set at 80 on both sub and receiver. I've tried running it with the Fronts set to Small and with the Fronts set to Large with Subwoofer set to Plus, there doesn't seem to be much difference. When playing material that's supposedly 2.1 or with LFE I can't hear it and when I put my hand on the box I can barely feel the woofer moving...its just so anemic, even compared to the dirt cheap computer subwoofer I first used.

I'm not asking for room shattering bass. I use this room as a combo home theater/computer setup. When I am at the desk I am near the middle of the room, and I understand it won't be as effective there. But I also have seating at the back of the room for the TV, and there is almost nothing there either.

Being that I know almost nothing about quality home theater and don't live near anywhere or anyone where I can try it out, I'd like to find out what I should truly be expecting from my <$200 sub. From the reviews I read, it sounded like it would be more than powerful enough to affect my tiny apartment space.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-12-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Small 80hz is correct, and assume you have enabled subwoofer.

Cable ok?
Crossover on the BIC sub set to maximum?
What is the pro-logic/digital receiver switch ?
Phase set to 0?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 6 Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160

Something is amiss. 

What is your AVR's sub channel set to? 

I'm still a newb I don't have much for troubleshooting, but I do have a BIC F12 and what you describe means something is not working properly, I can tell you that.

What have you tried watching and listening to?

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #4 of 6 Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know much about Pioneers but is there a listening mode setting or similar? For example, when my Onkyo is set to Stereo I get basically no output from my subs. Setting it to all channel stereo or multi channel results in normal sub volume. Also what's your source set to? Have you tried setting it to 5.1 or such to see if the sub output increases?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for responding guys. I have a little more info that I hope will be of help, as its still not working quite right.

Quote:
 Small 80hz is correct, and assume you have enabled subwoofer.

Cable ok?
Crossover on the BIC sub set to maximum?
What is the pro-logic/digital receiver switch ?
Phase set to 0?

crossover is set to 80hz, sub is enabled, yes. Medialink cable, crossover on the sub is set at 100 right now, but i've tried it all the way up as well - I have it set to digital receiver anyway. Phase is 0.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday - the audio is coming from my computer through optical toslink. It's Realtek Digital Output, driver from 2012. If someone has experience with this setup, I would appreciate hearing from them - I am unable to look at/change my speaker setup on my computer and haven't yet seen a reason explaining that or how to make sure its set up correctly.

I have my receiver set to Auto Surround. I've been trying various sources, with the main test being playing a DTS 3F2R/LFE source in VLC. Also sound in my browser (YouTube, etc) but I'm not sure if that's even 2.1 to start with?

I have run Auto MCACC which proves that the subwoofer works (could hear the test tones it output). That came up with setting my fronts to Large and Sub to Yes. Unfortunately I don't really have any other sources to try...

post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflocka View Post

Something I forgot to mention yesterday - the audio is coming from my computer through optical toslink. It's Realtek Digital Output, driver from 2012. If someone has experience with this setup, I would appreciate hearing from them - I am unable to look at/change my speaker setup on my computer and haven't yet seen a reason explaining that or how to make sure its set up correctly.

Might very well could be how you have Windows configured to output sound from your PC. You might need to experiment with the configuration options.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page