Liked: 22
MY system now

denon 2112
POLK RTiA7
POLK CSIA6
POLK FXIA6

2, Klipsch rw 12D

Projector and Jamestown screen

I am looking to upgrade my subs, i want more of that deep low chest punding feel. I love my klipsch and when i bought them, there were said to be comparable to that of 700$ subs. I am looking at a modest budget, iam considering these options below as i would like to stay with a dual set up for over all best performance

XV30F but from what i've read i havent seen to much on them.

XV15 seem to be decent and i can swing to.

Then the loved and talked about Rythmik FV15Hp is towards the end of my sub budget, but for that price i can swing 2 depending on what i buy.

I want a nigh and day difference i already know by what i have read is that the FV15hp can get me there but what about the XV15?

My room is roughly 15 by 30 in a square format. I have a doorless entry way leading into the next room.

if not these what would u go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 507
IMO, and in descending order:
- dual Rythmik FV15HP
- dual HSU VTF-15H
- dual PSA XV15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I haven't read to much on hsu vtf are they better performing then the PSA xv15?

As for 2 rythmik that's where I would like to be at but price is to steep for a dual application. I just redid my speakers and thought I was content now looking at sub upgrade
post #4 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 520
If you live near Anaheim, you can go demo the Hsu subs, call them up to schedule a demo. Yeah the VTF15h are higher performing than the XV15. I would also go for a VTF3 over a XV15 as well.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post

I haven't read to much on hsu vtf are they better performing then the PSA xv15?

As for 2 rythmik that's where I would like to be at but price is to steep for a dual application. I just redid my speakers and thought I was content now looking at sub upgrade

Yea the VTF-15 is a bump up from the XV-15, but its not a huge difference.

Things to consider,

PSA is american made, 5yr warranty, and a nice durable satin black texture finish.

HSU is made in China, 2yr electonics/7yr driver warranty, and black vinyl wrap. You can purchase a extended 5yr electronics warranty for around 90.00.

Both are good subs at thier price points but If you can spring for the Rythmik FV15HP's in black oak, that would be my choice.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #6 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
check out this thread and demo some of those subs!

My HT: Onkyo 818, polk m60 Hsu HB1-MK2, HC1-MK2, svs pb12+/2, svs pc13
post #7 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

IMO, and in descending order:
- dual Rythmik FV15HP
- dual HSU VTF-15H
- dual PSA XV15

I agree with eljay. If it were me and I could swing dual FV15HPs I would do that. 

post #8 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post

I agree with eljay. If it were me and I could swing dual FV15HPs I would do that. 

Pay now, pay later. In your situation I would seriously consider the FV15HP. Otherwise you will be back looking to upgrade again. If duals is to steep now run a single, Save some cash and get the second one later.

I think Brian honors the dual discount on purchases made later (not sure how much later)
post #9 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^ 10% discount for returning customer, no time limit. The difference is if dual or more is ordered at the same time, there is a 10% off for each sub. I would drive to HSU in Anaheim to listen to the vtf15h pair there to see for yourself if that will be enough. It wasn't enough for me.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I add dual SVS PC12+ to that list.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #11 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

FV15HP is that much better then the HSU? I am gonna drive up to check out the HSU.

Which one is easier to tune?
post #12 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

FV15HP is that much better then the HSU? I am gonna drive up to check out the HSU.

Which one is easier to tune?

I personally haven't heard a FV15HP but I've heard other Rythmiks and thought they sounded great. I have heard the VTF 15 and thought it was pretty good too but others here who heard both prefer the FV15HP if they could afford it.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 667
I don't think any of these will quite get you where you want to go based on your room size --- you are already admitting you are well beyond the average joe in your bass expectations by saying two RW-12d's aren't getting it done. Those are decent subs, and one of the better 'budget' subs I've measured.

15x30 foot is a big room. My room is close to 19x27x7. It's right at around 3500 cubic foot. Two VTF-15 subs in my room wouldn't be enough for my preferences, I've had a pair in my room on a couple of occassions, and have had some playtime with the parir. They are great subs, but better for smaller rooms. In my friend's Luke Kamp's 1500 cubic foot room they are incredible. If you are seeking more than your pair of RW-12D subs you might as well go big, or you'll probably just find yourself at another stepping stone to wanting the next tier a year or two down the road. You can see how a pair of HSU VTF-15H subs compared to other offerings as documented by multiple attendees in the 2012 subwoofer meet linked in my signature. The 1000$ tier subs weren't really that much better than the RW-12ds that opened our meet. In fact I recall at least one attendee verbally commenting that the RW-12D was prefered over some of the more expensive pairs of subs at the meet.

With your budget you are looking at some DIY ideas, or saving a bit longer to buy a couple of bigger ID subs. You may also consider used. Ocassionally PB13 Ultras go for sale for $1100 ish in the classified section and those are nice subs for that dollar point.

I'm partial to the Rythmik FV-15HP after hearing one at that Gorilla83 meet in 2011, but I've never compared the sound quality directly to the HSU VTF-15H in the same room.

I really recommend something like the JTR Captivator for a guy like you in a space like yours, but in passive form your looking at $1700, then you buy an amp (something like an EP4000), and your at $2k pretty quick. It will be a sub that will knock your socks off though. There won't be any wonder if you've 'got there' or not.

Here are some other people's opinions to get familiar with.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425179/the-subwoofer-recommendation-by-pricepoint-thread

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Archaea,

So your telling me that my dual klipsch rw12d are as good a say rythmik or perhaps the HSU15?

Iam not disappointed with the klip, i just want more deepness and get that wow factor from my guest when i demo it.

More vanity then anything but between my HT and my camaro what else will entertain me lol
post #15 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Not exactly, both will be an improvement! Deeper, louder, better sounding, but I suspect either would be a stepping stone on the way instead of a final destination.

For what you are looking for a couple ported 18" subs would be "impressive" and begin to get to the car audio SPL levels (low 130db bass range)it sounds like you are looking for with the high quality and depth of note in a good home theater driver.

I'm not discounting the HSU or Rhythmic offering, but you didn't come here and say my subs are plenty loud I just want a bit deeper and cleaner. I got the impression you wanted significantly louder and deeper.

Read a bunch of the subwoofer roundup articles and g2g threads that are a sticky in this subforum. It'll help put it all in perspective.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1367811/subwoofer-shootout-subwoofer-roundup-url-lists

post #16 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

I would drive to HSU in Anaheim to listen to the vtf15h pair there to see for yourself if that will be enough. It wasn't enough for me.

I agree. Listening to the VTF-15Hs would tell you a lot more about how much sub you feel you need to buy and which ones to get.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #17 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Archaea,

So your telling me that my dual klipsch rw12d are as good a say rythmik or perhaps the HSU15?

Iam not disappointed with the klip, i just want more deepness and get that wow factor from my guest when i demo it.

More vanity then anything but between my HT and my camaro what else will entertain me lol

No not even close...XV15's would be a drastic improvement from dual RW12D's. I have 3 XV15's in a 2400^3 room and they put out 125-130db from 30-80hz. I agree with archea that in your size room the HSU or PSA might not be enough, but the Rythmik should take care of business. I do not think driving to HSU and demoing the VTF-15 is going to tell you much...if you can not demo the sub in YOUR room then it does not mean much.
post #18 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I owned a pair of svs ultras and I would take a single captivator over the pair of pb13 ultras. That's my experience and opinion. I think most would say the pb13 ultra is top dog in the playing field of HSU vtf-15, PSA xv-15 and even Rythmik subs.

Just depends on what your after I suppose. I know an awful lot of people who would be pleased as peach with anything discussed here or even think some of this is already vast overkill. Both my cousin and my brother have a pair of rw-12d subs and are pleased as peach! They think anyone who needs more than that is out of control.

Read my 2011 meet to see how the hsu-vtf compared to subs like the seaton submersive or jtr captivator.

There are ported diy options available now to with projects like the martysub that are significant output monsters for very little expense.

post #19 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I owned a pair of svs ultras and I would take a single captivator over the pair of pb13 ultras. That's my experience and opinion. I think most would say the pb13 ultra is top dog in the playing field of HSU vtf-15, PSA xv-15 and even Rythmik subs.

Just depends on what your after I suppose. I know an awful lot of people who would be pleased as peach with anything discussed here or even think some of this is already vast overkill. Both my cousin and my brother have a pair of rw-12d subs and are pleased as peach! They think anyone who needs more than that is out of control.

Read my 2011 meet to see how the hsu-vtf compared to subs like the seaton submersive or jtr captivator.

There are ported diy options available now to with projects like the martysub that are significant output monsters for very little expense.

I can see that with the PB13 being its not a mid bass monster. The XV15 has similar output in the 40-80hz area although probably not quite as clean. The PB shines in the 15-30hz. I am well aware of the diy projects going on being I lurk the diy section frequently smile.gif I convinced a friend recently to build a pair of down firing marty cubes with SI HT18's powered by a Inuke 3000. If/when the day comes I decide to upgrade, it will be to some Passive Captivators or Marty Cubes with UXL 18's. My current subs do really well in my room with thier placement....actually this room would not handle the output of the Captivators or UXL's...so that project will have to wait for a dedicated theatre. I honestly do not see needing more then what I have now in the 30-80hz. The only thing I would like is to get the 15-25hz output up to the level of my 30-80hz output.
post #20 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thinking either 2 hsu vth15 or 1 rythmik from what ive read they seem to be great subs and both are mentioned quite a bit. I like te hsu in rosewood
post #21 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thinking either 2 hsu vth15 or 1 rythmik from what ive read they seem to be great subs and both are mentioned quite a bit. I like te hsu in rosewood

I would go duals...so whatever do choose, have plans on owning 2 of them. smile.gif
post #22 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I agree with basshead, I would go for duals of whatever sub you choose. I personally would go with dual Rythmik FV15HP's if that's the budget range I was in and I wanted a ported sub.

Shawn
post #23 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

i read the sub shoot out that was done here on AVS by some forum members and it appeared that both the HSU and Rythmik were almost similar in perfomance.

This is not my opinion but what i read so that being the case i might just try the HSU. I would assume that both of these subs would be a nigh and day difference when compared to my current klipsch.

The blog i read compared the HSu, rythmik, epic and so on
post #24 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 04:02 PM

edited
post #25 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Didnt you trade Caps in for Submersive HPs? Could you comment in that respect.

I recently demo'd a FV15HP in a small apartment, I was definitely underimpressed with it, didnt go deep nor had the SPL I anticapated. I felt I could reach better deeper louder and clearer bass with just my Klipsch RF-7II's!!! And I have a 24'' x 16'' room!! Perhaps there is a set up problem with it but sounded not the case to me.

I'm surprised by the FV15HP comments on the thread, maybe I just heard a dud? Its making me save up and go with a pair of the ~2k range subs ie. Cap pair or SubM-HP master slave.

Comments?
post #26 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Carp was the one who traded a pair of caps out for a pair of submersives. He liked sealed sub sound better than ported, but two caps can go louder than two submersives and are better for movies imo. Carp is a music first guy, I'm more of a movies first guy. Carp now has eight 18" sealed subwoofers, but I still have my pair of 2011 captivators and for someone as active as I've been on this forum keeping the same set of subs for three years is saying something. wink.gif

They don't lack for output, that's for sure.

post #27 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Carp was the one who traded a pair of caps out for a pair of submersives. He liked sealed sub sound better than ported, but two caps can go louder than two submersives and are better for movies imo. Carp is a music first guy, I'm more of a movies first guy. Carp now has eight 18" sealed subwoofers, but I still have my pair of 2011 captivators and for someone as active as I've been on this forum keeping the same set of subs for three years is saying something. wink.gif

They don't lack for output, that's for sure.

Yeah, sorry I got you confused, you guys have both been extremely informative. Most of your posts go hand in hand with his thats why I remembered wrong. I've got to check out one of these GTGs. There seems to be nothing close to demo with extreme power in SoCal. I need to educate myself with exactly what sound and feel Im looking for. The demos I have been on have just confused me more. I need big impact bass.
post #28 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

HSU is made in China, 2yr electonics/7yr driver warranty, and black vinyl wrap. You can purchase a extended 5yr electronics warranty for around 90.00.

Hi basshead81,

Just a couple of corrections, the ext electronics warranty is $100. We do not use a black vinyl wrap on our VTF series subwoofers. We only use that on our STF series subs. We use a matte satin black, smooth painted finish. For the rosenut, we use real wood veneer.

Sincerely,
Kevin
post #29 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMJ View Post

I recently demo'd a FV15HP in a small apartment, I was definitely underimpressed with it, didnt go deep nor had the SPL I anticapated. I felt I could reach better deeper louder and clearer bass with just my Klipsch RF-7II's!!! And I have a 24'' x 16'' room!!
your friend definitely did not set it up right or it was a defective unit if that was the case.
post #30 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Narrow ed it down to duals XV15 or HSU vtf15h....I like the rosewood finish but spec wise xv15 are about the same as the hsu n less$$$

Xv30f look impressive but very little review s
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Xv15 , Fv15hp Subwoofer , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Hsu Research , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page