Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 03-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemafreak1 View Post

Well I bought a SVS PB2000 Outlet Special for 749, so tax covered.  No issues with it such as scratches or dents.  Since its a return/upgrade it was in stock and will ship tomorrow.  Giddy already.  Will get it hooked up asap once I get it.

Question, do i need to break it in....keep volume down for now and crank it later?

Also, where should I buy a cable, MonoPrice?

Thanks to all for the previous posts!

Michael

P.S.  Now I want to upgrade my Paradigm Mini Monitor v6s and center.  Slippery Slope this hobby.

You do not need to wait for it to break in. 

Monoprice is fine for a cable. 

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 03-20-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemafreak1 View Post

Well I bought a SVS PB2000 Outlet Special for 749, so tax covered.  No issues with it such as scratches or dents.  Since its a return/upgrade it was in stock and will ship tomorrow.  Giddy already.  Will get it hooked up asap once I get it.

Question, do i need to break it in....keep volume down for now and crank it later?

Also, where should I buy a cable, MonoPrice?

Thanks to all for the previous posts!

Michael

P.S.  Now I want to upgrade my Paradigm Mini Monitor v6s and center.  Slippery Slope this hobby.

Congrats on the new sub! I'm sure you will enjoy.smile.gif

If it is a return it may have already been broke in. Just get it dialed in and enjoy, but don't forget to let us know how you like it. Most of us who own that sub find setting the gain at 2:00 gives better sound. YMMV,

Monoprice has great prices on cables. Make sure you get one that is shielded to help avoid any electrical interference.

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
post #93 of 99 Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got sub and ran audyssey:

Speaker config: front large, center small, woofer yes
Channel level: fl +1, fr+1, c-8.5, sw-4.0
Crossover: c @ 40 and blank for front.

Weird right?

Did manual st up and switched front to small. My other manual settings are:

Sub woofer mode: LFE
Cross over front: 90
Crossover center:90
LFE:90

Is the more like it?
post #94 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
If you speaker settings have plus numbers they should not be set to Large.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #95 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

If you speaker settings have plus numbers they should not be set to Large.

it would be the unusual system and room where a system with a good sub should not engage bass management (set speakers to "small") but the sensitivity of the mains is not very likely to be the deciding factor, as far as I can see. Either a speaker can play at the desired level with the existing amp without audible distortion or not. Since AFAIK nobody knows exactly how the gain structure of any particular receiver is structured (ie at what SPL, for a given calibration, you risk audible amp distortion) knowing the calibration number for a particular speaker tells us nothing specific. Doubly true, of course if we don't know the desired playback levels of the individual in question. Since I never exceed -10 dB from reference, for example, I would remain as clean at +10 calibrations as somebody who listens at reference would with calibrations at zero,.
post #96 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The point on not running the speakers as Large is related to the fact that most tower speaker can't really produce the low bass as good as a capable subwoofer. Also, running the speakers as Large may cause some cancellation as far as bass in the room. This actually can lead to less bass. Also, running LFE+main is not recommended. My towers are 250/1000 watts RMS/peak and my subs are more capable of producing the low bass. My towers have two 10 in. woofer and a sensitivity over 100. Auddyssey also recommend that speaker should be set to small to enable full bass management.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #97 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

The point on not running the speakers as Large is related to the fact that most tower speaker can't really produce the low bass as good as a capable subwoofer. A

that's pretty much what I said, and not what the post I quoted said - trim levels (which are ultimately abut speaker sensitivity+room size+listening distance) don't actually figure into the question directly.
post #98 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

OK, so set Volume dial on Sub to 2 o'clock and all others to the SVS manual guidelines.  Speakers including center are small and change LFE to 120 and Speakers to 80 was set to 90.  Sounds better for sure.  Was thinking of getting SPL Meter as I am not sure the Speaker and Sub levels are what they should be.  Center is -8.5 and sub is -4.0 while speakers are +1.  SPL Meter worth it or not?  just leave the settings?  I guess the Paradigm cc390 is pretty big cmpared to the mini monitor left and right speakers.  Almost feel like the cc390 and PB 2000 sub might be too much for the mini monitors.  Or am I just looking for an excuse to upgrade?

post #99 of 99 Old 03-26-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Your center probably has a higher sensitivity than your other speakers which is why its at -8.5db. No problem having a negative trim as long as its not -12.

A RadioShack SPL Meter is nice to have, it can also be used for measuring your sub's frequency response.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb2000 , Xv15 , Hsu Vtf3 Mk4 , Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex
Gear in this thread - Pb2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page