PB-1000 Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I bought it, so far it's pretty good.  One thing I heard about SVS subs is that they were really good about not getting too much port noise.  I found that when turning the sub up a lot I got quite noticeable port noise. I mean it actually rattled on the sub which I could clearly hear over the bass coming from the sub.

Is it normal for you to be able to push it so far that you get port noise or did I get unlucky?

Does the amp allow the driver to be pushed so far that you get port noise but still not damage the driver?

I've heard that you once these are broken in they really start coming into their own. Is it possible that after burn in it could get louder than it is now with no port noise or would it just be louder with a lower dial number for volume?

Is there any setting I can change that would allow me to get louder bass without port noise?  Like maybe turning down the bass on my computer and turning it up on the volume button on the sub?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
How loud are you playing it? Where is the gain set? Did you run calibration? Room size? I owned this sub and never noticed port noise, but I may not have played it as loud as you.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

How loud? Very loud, trying to push it to the max. I have it hooked up to my PC the bass slider is up quite a bit on the PC.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Do you expect to have unlimited dB output? rolleyes.gif So you're doing bass boost as well? rolleyes.gif

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Almost any ported sub can be driven to chuffing if pushed hard enough. It doesn't necessarily mean the driver is being damaged. SVS's digital limiters should be protecting the driver, so I wouldn't worry about the driver.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

It's not just huffing, when turning it up very loud it actually rattles which might be perfectly normal for how much bass I'm pumping through it. I wonder if there would be a way to construct a box that would not rattle or huff to max amplification.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the port rattling or the driver? If it is the port, perhaps something has come loose. If its the driver, that could be a problem. Of course, its possible to make a box that doesn't chuff or rattle at max amplification. There are formulas to achieve optimal port diameter and length for the box size, tuning point, and driver. I would go to the DIY section to ask about that. Most commercial subs will chuff because to get a low tuning point, the port has to be long, but to get a long port in a cabinet that has any WAF at all, it has to be somewhat narrow. A narrow port means more air turbulence as the air doesn't have enough room to smoothly enters and exits the port. In this sense all of these commercial subs are a compromise.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfanatic View Post

It's not just huffing, when turning it up very loud it actually rattles which might be perfectly normal for how much bass I'm pumping through it. I wonder if there would be a way to construct a box that would not rattle or huff to max amplification.
Rattles are not port noise. They are a mechanical noise. Something has come loose inside or something is close enough to something else that the high volume is causing it to hit. It could be the speaker wires or the port tubes are loose. That would be noise from the port, not "port noise".

Randy
post #9 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

What the rattle sounds like is the port plastic rattling. Are you saying that as long as the amp keeps pushing it louder I shouldn't hear the rattle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Do you expect to have unlimited dB output? rolleyes.gif So you're doing bass boost as well? rolleyes.gif

No, but as long as the amp feels it's safe to make it louder I don't want it to make rattle noises.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
How much above its calibrated level did you push it? How much you turn the gain up on the subs amp?
post #11 of 19 Old 03-29-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
the SVS sub has a aggressive limiter. It should never come close to rattling if it is working correctly. the sub should simply quit getting louder. Take a diy sub with no dsp or high pass filter and over drive it, yes it will make bad noises, but the PB1000 should not. Imo It sounds like something loose or faulty with the sub. Call SVS.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

the SVS sub has a aggressive limiter. It should never come close to rattling if it is working correctly. the sub should simply quit getting louder. Take a diy sub with no dsp or high pass filter and over drive it, yes it will make bad noises, but the PB1000 should not. Imo It sounds like something loose or faulty with the sub. Call SVS.

Sounds like a good idea, also I have another issue with it.  When the sub isn't playing that much bass it goes into standby mode and won't wake up until I pump a lot of bass through it.  Anyone had that issue?

When it happens if I switch it from auto mode to on I hear bass being played through it or if I unplug the LFE cable and plug it back in it turns on again.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

How much above its calibrated level did you push it? How much you turn the gain up on the subs amp?

Pretty much the bass on the computer was turned up almost all the way and I went pretty high on the dial on the sub, almost all the way?

post #14 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfanatic View Post

Pretty much the bass on the computer was turned up almost all the way and I went pretty high on the dial on the sub, almost all the way?
Well you might have been pushing it alittle too much. Luckily SVS has a great warranty. Never go higher than 75% on the subwoofer gain knob and Still with that be careful with the bass.

You pushed your system to the max which is why you got some port noise as for rattles not sure if you rattled something lose
post #15 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is the sub on carpet or hard floor. These things kick hard enough to shake on a floor, and that can make a sound similar to what you are talking about. Happened with my 25-31pci.

If it is on a hard floor, try putting a towel under it and see if it still occurs.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Well you might have been pushing it alittle too much. Luckily SVS has a great warranty. Never go higher than 75% on the subwoofer gain knob and Still with that be careful with the bass.

You pushed your system to the max which is why you got some port noise as for rattles not sure if you rattled something lose

I thought the whole idea of the limiter is that I can push it to the max without damaging it.  That said, I'm not sure if unclean bass could possibly cause it?  Basically I had it connected to the output on my sound card and since then I have hooked up the computer to a receiver via toslink and hooked the sub to the receiver.  Not sure that I've pushed it as hard as I did before though when I heard it.

As far as the question about it being on the carpet, yes it is on carpet.  On a second floor near the wall I could be wrong from where I heard the sound but it sounded like it was coming from the port in the sub.

post #17 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 144
No, it doesn't come with that feature. Speakers require a user that doesn't ramp everything up to 11 and smoke start appearing out of the drivers..

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #18 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

You are lucky the SVS has such a powerful limiter. On many subs, analogue limiters can be over-driven (but its not easy) and you can kill the sub. I don't think the SVS actually protects from thermal damage though, so you can still destroy it if you try. Just run this tone at full blast for an hour, that should do the trick. If you manage to kill the sub, I will send you a prize!
post #19 of 19 Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

No, it doesn't come with that feature. Speakers require a user that doesn't ramp everything up to 11 and smoke start appearing out of the drivers..

Actually SVS does come with that feature.  As the person below you said, if I ran a freakin test tone maxed out for an hour I might be able to break the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

You are lucky the SVS has such a powerful limiter. On many subs, analogue limiters can be over-driven (but its not easy) and you can kill the sub. I don't think the SVS actually protects from thermal damage though, so you can still destroy it if you try. Just run this tone at full blast for an hour, that should do the trick. If you manage to kill the sub, I will send you a prize!

I'm not sure I would call it lucky, I knew that SVS had a good limiter before I bought it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page