You can never have too many subs ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75

My dream system:   :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
WTF? All that high, hungry powered system in a enclosed studio? And not even a fire extinguisher next to the couch? Lol
post #3 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 658
What a disaster. Nice looking dog, though.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 476
"Wiring not included." Looks like the owner ran out of money before he could invest in overpriced inter-connects, speaker cables and power cords. frown.gif

wink.gif
post #5 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think I saw this guys setup on hgtv's "million dollar rooms".

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #6 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Here it is:
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/the_worlds_loudest_home_theater/
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

I think I saw this guys setup on hgtv's "million dollar rooms".
post #7 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75

This picture came from a guy that has a very successful business designing and installing ultra ultra high end audiophile theater systems. Scot had interviewed him on Home Theater Geeks on Twit.TV/HTG for AVS Forum. In the interview he said they had to build the building from scratch with three 1,000 amp service drops from the city to have sufficient power to drive all the amps. 

This was his demo room for clients and they took out all they cables to clean up the picture for their sales brochure. I believe he said he sold this system configuration to clients for $3 million depending upon options.

I am absolutely drooling over all those Mcintosh MC 2102 tube amps in a circle. The speakers are a THX Snell cinema package very high end that goes back to the 90's. The subs are single 18" drivers stacked two on top of each other, each cabinet is about 48"s each hence why they are so tall. He has three of the center channel speaker you can see at the center position and is using the cinema towers for all the other channels.

Always remember the three golden rules of Home Theater:

Equipment always grows to exceed available space.

(Waiting for craigslist)

Add 50% to the cost for something she wants to mitigate "WAF"

(1 kitchen remodel = 12 Martin Logans)

Anything worth doing is worth over doing!

(My Danley DTS-10 flat pack)

post #8 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Loudest theater? Just one of my speakers can play louder.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Adorable.

Really. All I see is just someone with lots of money and knows expensive brand names.

The DuPont Registry type owns a system like this. No doubt there is a mile of imported silver speaker and interconnect cable on the way.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #10 of 19 Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I no doubt heard a better McIntosh system at Mac! It is their show room. Funny it did not cost as much and they had 6 12's in the floor and in each main utilizing their most powerful amps.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Have read bought this system years ago. It really is intense if not overkill. What's wrong with that if your a millionaire? No different than most guys here who buy new setups every month. It's a great hobby

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12 of 19 Old 04-03-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wonder how well Audyssey would handle this system?wink.gif

Good to see the BIG screen. Usually with these sound systems you see a 32" RPTV for the video.

Randy
post #13 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
That is one great system. If you can afford it, nothing wrong with that! Some people have multiple home, lots of cars, ect, it's a hobby. I know I can't afford something like that, lol.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #14 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Loudest theater? Just one of my speakers can play louder.
In your room... sure. You're in a small concrete bunker. Put your speakers in his 2,250 SQUARE foot room with vaulted ceilings... and probably not. If his room has 12' ceilings, that's 27,000 cubic feet. Your speakers could probably do RL in that sized room, but 132 dB? Do you really think so?
Quote:

I no doubt heard a better McIntosh system at Mac! It is their show room. Funny it did not cost as much and they had 6 12's in the floor and in each main utilizing their most powerful amps.
Assumption??? Maybe you should reserve that comment until you've actually heard the guy's system???

I've heard the TOL Mac system also. It was great, and VERY loud, but nowhere close to the "best" system I've heard.

I guess I don't get the sarcasm in this thread. The guy has put together an amazing system. It's obviously not a "high value" system, and it wasn't meant to be. He was clearly going for the absolute SOTA. He spent a lot of $$$, and I don't doubt he's achieved the absolute SOTA, or at least one iteration of it. A 24' screen with 11,000 lumens @ 4K lighting it up??? That's gotta be incredible, (although I can't imagine the CR of that system is up to the current SOTA.) 96,000 watts driving 14 towers and 24 subs??? I would love to be able to experience this system, (although I don't get the whole 3-speaker CC thing.)

Craig
Reddig likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #15 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Having said what you said, who has heard this system in this thread, it is all a guess. Yes my speakers can play louder than his in any room. In my room I need 2 watts for reference. I never said the Mac system was my favorite as I like my system better. Since all this is best guess because of the name factor I would think Mac's giant line arrays and even more powerful amps in their well treated room would sound quite good in comparison as this is on a wooden floor alone. It does look cool and sure it sounds great as having owned Mac gear in the past. One mans awesome is another's ok. So I will repeat, my speakers play louder. Oh BTW, having never heard this system or your Plats I would take the Plats. Just my Opinion.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

In your room... sure. You're in a small concrete bunker. Put your speakers in his 2,250 SQUARE foot room with vaulted ceilings... and probably not. If his room has 12' ceilings, that's 27,000 cubic feet. Your speakers could probably do RL in that sized room, but 132 dB? Do you really think so?
Assumption??? Maybe you should reserve that comment until you've actually heard the guy's system???

I've heard the TOL Mac system also. It was great, and VERY loud, but nowhere close to the "best" system I've heard.

I guess I don't get the sarcasm in this thread. The guy has put together an amazing system. It's obviously not a "high value" system, and it wasn't meant to be. He was clearly going for the absolute SOTA. He spent a lot of $$$, and I don't doubt he's achieved the absolute SOTA, or at least one iteration of it. A 24' screen with 11,000 lumens @ 4K lighting it up??? That's gotta be incredible, (although I can't imagine the CR of that system is up to the current SOTA.) 96,000 watts driving 14 towers and 24 subs??? I would love to be able to experience this system, (although I don't get the whole 3-speaker CC thing.)

Craig

My mains can do 132dB or more each in the bass and the upper 120's from the mid hundred's and up. I'm sure James's isn't far off. I'm not saying to brag but to point out that it isn't a completely unattainable goal. Many here with JTR or Seaton speakers are close if not on the mark as well.

No any of my comments about this $3M system is that it .... it reeks of vanity. You know yeah it's cool and it is not s**t gear but does he really have to have a circle of Mac amps all on their own polished weighted risers? Even got their tops exposed. Its awesome for gear sluts like us but it is pure vanity, imo. There is no reason the guy can't put all this in a proper case and out of the way. No doubt they go out of the way to mention it has an audiophile approved top end extension of 100khz. rolleyes.gif

Oh and look at that extensive library of LP's on the walls. That's warm, silky acoustic treatment right there. Oh yah.

Don't forgot the $30,000 turntable on $10k worth of marble.

Again money and decent overpriced high-end gear. Whoopee. You can have an awesome system like that but not present it in such an audiophile-y snobbish way. Such as every single AVS HToftheMonth so far. tongue.gif

This is just my opinion....

....and obviously I am super jealous. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #17 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I bet that 132 dBs is from his subs too! I have dual stacked DR-250's with delta lite 10's. So each main has 40 horn loaded piezos and two horn loaded 2510's. 100 watts gets me to 129 dBs from 120hz and up and 126 dBs from 80-120. The main can handle 1000 watts. Again I only need 2 watts for reference playback at the seats! My surrounds need 1 watt and running the 8x18 IB with clone. I have that 132 dBs covered but would never play that loud except maybe the bass for some crazy demo. 130 dBs creates too much pressure in my room and starts to hurt your ears as they plug up like being under water. Hitting 120-125 dBs seems perfect.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-04-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

....and obviously I am super jealous. biggrin.gif

I think that's the overall bottom line pretty much across the board. 

Reddig likes this.

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #19 of 19 Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

I bet that 132 dBs is from his subs too! I have dual stacked DR-250's with delta lite 10's. So each main has 40 horn loaded piezos and two horn loaded 2510's. 100 watts gets me to 129 dBs from 120hz and up and 126 dBs from 80-120. The main can handle 1000 watts. Again I only need 2 watts for reference playback at the seats! My surrounds need 1 watt and running the 8x18 IB with clone. I have that 132 dBs covered but would never play that loud except maybe the bass for some crazy demo. 130 dBs creates too much pressure in my room and starts to hurt your ears as they plug up like being under water. Hitting 120-125 dBs seems perfect.

IIRC years ago I read in Steve Guttenbergs blog somewhere that the mic was placed at the listening position and the level had to be sustained and not just a peak. Although these types of world records can sometimes just be attributed to the fact that no one else has called up Guiness and said "hey I want to attempt to set a record for loudest HT" category and for a fee they will come to you. Put your money where your mouth is MK and call them up!!smile.giftongue.gif

Seriously though some others on here think this guys a chump and a over spending gear whore but have you guys ever looked at his resume??

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeremykipnis

Also giant stacks of books or LPs in his case can work very effectively for acoustics. Gives off both absorption and reflectivness though of course its not an exact science.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page