New SVS SB-2000 vs Old PB12-ISD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thinking about getting a 2nd sub for music listening and gaming, currently have the down-firing SVS PB12-ISD that I bought back in 2004 and it is still rocking the house for my HT setup. I feel the PB12-ISD lacking a bit in speed and control for music even after calibrated with MultEQ XT32 from Denon x4000. How does the SB-2000 in comparison to the old PB12-ISD? I know one sealed and one ported but would it be a noticeable upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'm beginning to prefer SB for music systems for music you don't need massive amounts of dB output nor does bass have mega low notes so you can get away with a SB sub.

If both subs are connected to the same AV amp can you set it so one sub is on for certain modes (and the other is off) Unless you physically switch one off? Perhaps use a remote controlled power socket?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 707
I have the sb2000 and some bigger PB subs also. I don't know if I would say the Sb is better at music than the PB subs. But my PB subs are also 2 or 4 x as much money. Imo ported subs can sound unnatural at the tuning frequency. But most of the svs subs are tuned down in the low 20s or lower. Most music never gets that low so that's something to keep in mind. I bought the Sb for the size. The room it was going in mattered.
bear123 likes this.

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

I have the sb2000 and some bigger PB subs also. I don't know if I would say the Sb is better at music than the PB subs. But my PB subs are also 2 or 4 x as much money. Imo ported subs can sound unnatural at the tuning frequency. But most of the svs subs are tuned down in the low 20s or lower. Most music never gets that low so that's something to keep in mind. I bought the Sb for the size. The room it was going in mattered.

I agree with this.  I think ported can sound just as good for music as sealed.  In a blind test most would not notice the difference, but visual bias, i.e. knowing that you are listening to a sealed sub that you believe to be superior for music, will make you believe that it is.  That being said, Reference head made a good point.  The benefit of a sealed sub, if one needs it only for music, is that they will sound just as good as a ported sub, are smaller, and typically also therefore cost less.  So they do have their benefits, I just don't think it is an issue of sound quality.  As was also pointed out, I think there is a difference in sound around port tune, but this is normally at leasy 20-30 Hz lower than most of the deepest music notes.

If I were buying a sub for the dedicated purpose of music only, especially in a room where asthetics mattered, sealed is likely a better option.  But for me, if size is not a constraint, and dual purpose use is intended on a budget, ported is often a superior overall choice.

Jahjd2000 and dsrussell like this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread - sb-2000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version