Reaction 212 turbo vs hsu vtf-2 mk 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've narrowed my long sub search down to these two. I have a 2100 sq foot room. I'll say 60/40 HT/music. I'm looking for good output but more so, quality sound.

Denon avr-x2000
Monster HTS 5100 MKII
B&W FPM 5 L/R
B&W FPM 6 C
B&W in ceiling 6.5" surround
SVS PB-1000
PS-4
Samsung blu-Ray
Samsung 51" plasma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 536
I am guessing that the VTF2's ports give it more output from the upper teens to the low 30 Hz region, but the Reaction's dual woofer give it more output above 30 Hz. Basically the Hsu will be better for deep bass but the Reaction should be better for mid and upper bass. The Hsu will have good quality bass, it is using a great driver. The Reaction is new but it looks like it could be good. Your room is huge though (or did you mean 2100 cubic feet instead of square feet?), neither sub will pressurize that entire space. Whichever you decide to get, try to place it as close to the listening position as you can, perhaps in an endtable placement or right behind the seat if possible. That way you will still hear and feel the bass. Otherwise the room may swallow up the sub, and you will hear very little bass.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I meant 2100 cubic feet. And I'm really glad about your placement comment because that happens to be a good spot for it. So, the one 12" hsu ported sub will have more output than the dual sealed?? Are we talking a few db's?

Denon avr-x2000
Monster HTS 5100 MKII
B&W FPM 5 L/R
B&W FPM 6 C
B&W in ceiling 6.5" surround
SVS PB-1000
PS-4
Samsung blu-Ray
Samsung 51" plasma
post #4 of 5 Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 675

With the sealed sub, movie output will greatly depend on your room dimensions.  A ported sub will have great output down to the port rune regardless of room size.  Divide 565 by your longest room dimension in feet, and this will tell you the frequency at which you will begin to get room gain.  Keep in mind room gain will benefit both ported and sealed subs.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #5 of 5 Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Line voltage View Post

Yes I meant 2100 cubic feet. And I'm really glad about your placement comment because that happens to be a good spot for it. So, the one 12" hsu ported sub will have more output than the dual sealed?? Are we talking a few db's?

I am just guessing here, but the Hsu should have more deep bass output, but not as much upper bass output. I would guess that the difference in either region is maybe 3 dB, keep in mind that is very speculative. The performance of the Reaction is largely unknown, it is such a new sub. It looks like it wouldn't be bad though.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page