Old Dahlquist DQ-1w subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I have a pair of old Dahlquist DQ-1W sealed subs that have a 13" woofer in them.  I had them hooked up with my Onkyo TX-NR818 using the Audyssey to set the levels and a SA-1000 amp to power them.  They sounded pretty good but I wanted more low frequency performance so I picked up a pair of PB 2000s and also a PC 20-39+ from the classifieds here. 

Well I was able to hit 110 db. comfortably on the grenade scene from World War Z with the Dahlquists but when I pushed them I blew up the amp but did hit 112 db.  I then hooked up the older SVS 20-39+ and it was fine at 112 db.  I will hookup the dual PB 2000s tomorrow when my neighbors are at work to see what I can peak at but I am hoping for deeper bass.  The 20-39+ came without any foam plugs so it doesn't seem to get any lower than the Dahlquist subs.  Of course it is a lot easier to use as I don't think I can blow it up. 

I guess those old Dahlquists weren't so bad after all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post

I have a pair of old Dahlquist DQ-1W sealed subs that have a 13" woofer in them.  I had them hooked up with my Onkyo TX-NR818 using the Audyssey to set the levels and a SA-1000 amp to power them.  They sounded pretty good but I wanted more low frequency performance so I picked up a pair of PB 2000s and also a PC 20-39+ from the classifieds here. 

Well I was able to hit 110 db. comfortably on the grenade scene from World War Z with the Dahlquists but when I pushed them I blew up the amp but did hit 112 db.  I then hooked up the older SVS 20-39+ and it was fine at 112 db.  I will hookup the dual PB 2000s tomorrow when my neighbors are at work to see what I can peak at but I am hoping for deeper bass.  The 20-39+ came without any foam plugs so it doesn't seem to get any lower than the Dahlquist subs.  Of course it is a lot easier to use as I don't think I can blow it up. 

I guess those old Dahlquists weren't so bad after all.

If you need a couple foam plugs let me know. I think I have a box of those hiding in the basement at home.

Tom V.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Thanks Tom but I went ahead and ordered one from SVS earlier and they sent me a copy of the manual as well.  After listening it to a little more today I think once I tune it to 16 hz with one foam plug it should be great. 

post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanFrank View Post

Thanks Tom but I went ahead and ordered one from SVS earlier and they sent me a copy of the manual as well.  After listening it to a little more today I think once I tune it to 16 hz with one foam plug it should be great. 

That was usually a nice compromise between max output and extension on those models...the dual 3" ports avoided any audible port noise with program material too.

Tom V.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page