Options for my broke Focal Subwoofer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi: Several years ago I purchased a Chorus SW 700S 5.1 speaker system from a local dealer. I have been very happy with my system ever since. A few months ago my subwoofer quit working. The warranty had long expired and the dealer I purchased it from is no longer in business. So I took it to my local repair shop. They confirmed it isn't working and the problem was the amplifier. However they could not find any schematics for it and Focal no longer carries parts or replacement amps for this series.

So I have been looking over my options, do I buy a new Focal Sub or do I buy one from another manufacture? A new Focal sub is a more than I want to pay and there are so many subs available I haven't been able to decide which brand to get. Another option I am considering is to by a separate subwoofer amp and run the subwoofer through.

So is running my Chorus SW 700S sub through an external sub amp workable? Would it be cost effective? Can a sub designed as a powered sub use a external amp?

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
So I have been looking over my options, do I buy a new Focal Sub or do I buy one from another manufacture? A new Focal sub is a more than I want to pay and there are so many subs available I haven't been able to decide which brand to get.
Lots of good Internet-direct (ID) subs out there. How much do you want to pay?
Quote:
Another option I am considering is to by a separate subwoofer amp and run the subwoofer through.

So is running my Chorus SW 700S sub through an external sub amp workable? Would it be cost effective? Can a sub designed as a powered sub use a external amp?
Yes, it's workable. You just by-pass the existing amp. And it's probably more cost-effective than buying a new sub (other than an entry-level sub).
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 200
It's not that hard to convert a active sub to a passive model. Simply get a piece of metal cut it to the same size as your plate amp, fit airtight speaker terminals, wire it directly to the driver, buy a rack mounted amplifier.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

It's not that hard to convert a active sub to a passive model. Simply get a piece of metal cut it to the same size as your plate amp, fit airtight speaker terminals, wire it directly to the driver, buy a rack mounted amplifier.

Fatbottom just curious as Ive never done this but couldn't you keep the current plate amp in place disconnect the wires from the broken amp and then use a drill and drill a very small hole to fit the speaker wire from the outboard amp to the subs drivers. Then use caulk to fill the drill hole. This way you dont need a metal plate cut and drilled for screw holes and using the existing plate amp would ensure a tighter manufactored fit. A small hole drilled cost nothing and speaker wire is cheap (along with the cost of outboard amp) and caulk is also pretty cheap. As I said Ive never done this before (just speculation) but converting an active to passive would seem fairly simple with some basic tools. The caulk would ensure a sealed sub.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 200
yup. Use existaing plate amp. Just thought a new sheet with only speaker terminals would be neater, and not that expensive. Probably less than £30, cut, drilled and terminals fitted.

But I'd do it properly with terminals...not just a hole with some sealant.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2014, 06:28 PM

Liked: 11
You could purchase a new plate amp and have a self powered sub again. I just did this with a JBL that had a dead amp. I got the plate amp for $100 or so from Parts Express and it sounds fine. I had to expand part of the hole and put in a piece of wood to make the amp fit. Took about 1 hour of labor.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

I decided to go ahead order a Focal Sub 300. I believe Focal uses a Bash plate amp. I thought I might order one and see if I can replace the amp myself, never done this before so any advice would be appreciated. 

My other option is to use it as a passive sub and power it from an external sub amp. This would give me a 5.2 Focal speaker set up with my Marantz SR8500. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

David

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page