Little dent, any change in sound? - AVS Forum
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Little dent, any change in sound?
calam63's Avatar calam63 02:49 PM 04-28-2014

Just got my sub, and noticed a little dent.  I'm really not too worried about the flesh wound, but will it hurt the sound at all?  Haven't gotten a chance to plug it in, and am really an audio noob.  All comments are welcomed.

 

Thanks!

 

Cal



Jack D Ripper's Avatar Jack D Ripper 03:00 PM 04-28-2014
It will most likely have no effect on the sound. It could affect the sound if it were enough damage to significantly weaken the structure, but a little ding on the case makes no audible impact.
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar Tom Vodhanel 03:12 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by calam63 View Post

Just got my sub, and noticed a little dent.  I'm really not too worried about the flesh wound, but will it hurt the sound at all?  Haven't gotten a chance to plug it in, and am really an audio noob.  All comments are welcomed.

Thanks!

Cal

Probably not. If the enclosure is compromised you will hear weird noises around the "dent" with deeper bass material because the internal air pressure will cause little "puffs" of air to escape. This tends to cause audible noise, even to the casual user. You can also check things by moving your hand around the dent during operation. If you feel any signs of air blowing on your hand....that is a problem.

Tom V.
calam63's Avatar calam63 03:25 PM 04-28-2014
Thanks! My reciever comes tomorrow - pretty excited to try this out - lol a pretty huge upgrade from my old set up
Sdiver2489's Avatar Sdiver2489 03:31 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by calam63 View Post

Thanks! My reciever comes tomorrow - pretty excited to try this out - lol a pretty huge upgrade from my old set up

Looking at pictures of tiny subs for me is kinda like looking at this picture for most normal people


calam63's Avatar calam63 04:22 PM 04-28-2014
Is what I have now still small? Or what I used to have?
Sdiver2489's Avatar Sdiver2489 06:53 PM 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by calam63 View Post

Is what I have now still small? Or what I used to have?

What you used to have...I got a very similar little guy rockin my desktop speaker setup lol.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 07:17 PM 04-28-2014

As the guys above said you most likely won't have a problem with SQ but like Tom pointed out be sure to check and make sure you don't feel air. That said, I'm sorry that you got a dent in your new toy. I'm sure you're dying to try it out.


calam63's Avatar calam63 10:44 PM 04-28-2014
Oh good - lol thought it was still small - I'll update tomorrow with more info
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar J_Palmer_Cass 06:27 AM 04-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by calam63 View Post

Just got my sub, and noticed a little dent.  I'm really not too worried about the flesh wound, but will it hurt the sound at all?  Haven't gotten a chance to plug it in, and am really an audio noob.  All comments are welcomed.

Thanks!

Cal



Is the sub brand new? If it is brand new, I would return it. The case is damaged.
derrickdj1's Avatar derrickdj1 10:47 AM 04-29-2014
It look like the foot in the pic is also damaged.
calam63's Avatar calam63 09:37 PM 05-01-2014

foot is okay - i did have a really flimsy one and they are sending out a replacement foot lol - just worried about the small dent


Dolus's Avatar Dolus 10:44 AM 05-02-2014
I would definitely consider returning the sub for a replacement. It might only be dent but how did it get there? It may have been dropped and there may be unseen damage that may surface in the future and sods law will dictate that this will happen once the guarantee has run out.

I learned this from personal experience. I bought a washing machine and the top was broken so the manufacturer replaced the top. Three years later the bearings on the drum needed replacing and the repairman would not guarantee them as he thought the spindle was out of whack. When they failed again it was bye bye washing machine, hello new one.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 12:36 PM 05-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post

I would definitely consider returning the sub for a replacement. It might only be dent but how did it get there? It may have been dropped and there may be unseen damage that may surface in the future and sods law will dictate that this will happen once the guarantee has run out.

I learned this from personal experience. I bought a washing machine and the top was broken so the manufacturer replaced the top. Three years later the bearings on the drum needed replacing and the repairman would not guarantee them as he thought the spindle was out of whack. When they failed again it was bye bye washing machine, hello new one.

I completely agree with this thought process. I would seriously consider getting a replacement.


calam63's Avatar calam63 12:39 PM 05-02-2014

thanks all! going to contact amazon today


Up
Mobile  Desktop