Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
OP-

add REL to your list. These subwoofer(s) is/are easily the best in the business.smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post

OP-

add REL to your list. These subwoofer(s) is/are easily the best in the business.smile.gif

Too expensive for what they are.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #93 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Yeah, I really doubt that. How about waiting for some actual measurements instead of spreading patently absurd claims? So a $1600 sub using one of the best drivers in the industry is going to be hugely outperformed by PSA's jankiest sub? The Power X sub may have received an upgrade, but it is still a budget sub with all the compromises that come at that price point. If you seriously believe a XS15 outperforms a SB13 or ULS-15, your judgement is impaired beyond hope. PSA's charts are a sham, they are based on bad premises in order to deliberately misinform people. Wait for the full set of measurements, and don't try to compare subs that do not have a fair reference for comparison.

That is funny because you do not mind recommending reaction audio and they have absolutely 0 data. PSA spends hundreds of hours ground plane testing subs that was proven by Josh Ricci to be reliable and yet you still try to find ways to bash a product. And yes I can see the XS15 outperforming the 1600.00 SB13u with the Lab 15 driver and more power. The SB13u still has the better amp which is more feature rich and probably cost a bit more then the Power X amp. Also the SB13 has a nicer standard finish which increases price.
cel4145 likes this.
post #94 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I do find the numbers for the new sub from PSA hard to believe for the money but if its true good for them. If I was buying today I'd still probably recommend the PB12+ just because I value the cosmetic looks of the SVS product along with the amp features. Not everything is just max output.
post #95 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

I do find the numbers for the new sub from PSA hard to believe for the money but if its true good for them. If I was buying today I'd still probably recommend the PB12+ just because I value the cosmetic looks of the SVS product along with the amp features. Not everything is just max output.

I can respect that!! One thing that is no mystery is that SVS subs do not put out huge mid upper bass output for their price class compared to other ID. They target for max deep bass output and limit the upper bass to maintain a flat max burst FR. Also they clamp output even further once thd passes 10%. I think even Shady would agree with me on this since he has preached this many times. I agree there is much more to a sub then just max output. SVS makes a damn fine sub...nuff said.

Again as Eljay mentioned the OP should start with the SB13 and utilize the 45day free home trial. If he is not satisfied or feels the need for dual subs then I would look elsewhere.
post #96 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 67
For someone who gets so feverishly offended if someone say PSA matte finish is black you certainly don't mind throwing nitpicks at other manufacturers.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #97 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post

For someone who gets so feverishly offended if someone say PSA matte finish is black you certainly don't mind throwing nitpicks at other manufacturers.

Where did I nit pick? Are you self medicated??
post #98 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Where did I nit pick? Are you self medicated??
I reckon I would be if I had the energy to comment on everything.

post #99 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 428
The new PSA numbers look too good to believe but time will tell if they are. That said dr Russell compared the SB 13 with the xs 30 and from what I recall of his results was that the SB 13 was not that far behind the xs30 in overall output. So I really doubt a single xs15 has 1.6 times the output of the sb13. Maybe the chart is supposed to read .6. wink.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #100 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

The new PSA numbers look too good to believe but time will tell if they are. That said dr Russell compared the SB 13 with the xs 30 and from what I recall of his results was that the SB 13 was not that far behind the xs30 in overall output. So I really doubt a single xs15 has 1.6 times the output of the sb13. Maybe the chart is supposed to read .6. wink.gif

Depends at what levels you're referring to when comparing the XS30 vs. the SB13u....its close but IMO the XS30 has more overall output and digs deeper...in a smaller room with a good amount of room gain they might be considered close but from what I could tell in my room the XS30(2700^3ft) it had a decent advantage over the SB13U especially down low...smile.gif

My 2 cents

Ozzie Isaac and JustABrah like this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #101 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
BillyP you are cheating. If you have actually heard the subs in your own room in an A/B comparison you are not allowed to comment on their performance. The rest of us are forced to do spec comparisons.
Billy p likes this.
post #102 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Quote:

That is funny because you do not mind recommending reaction audio and they have absolutely 0 data. PSA spends hundreds of hours ground plane testing subs that was proven by Josh Ricci to be reliable and yet you still try to find ways to bash a product. And yes I can see the XS15 outperforming the 1600.00 SB13u with the Lab 15 driver and more power. The SB13u still has the better amp which is more feature rich and probably cost a bit more then the Power X amp. Also the SB13 has a nicer standard finish which increases price.

Quote:

Yeah, I really doubt that. How about waiting for some actual measurements instead of spreading patently absurd claims? So a $1600 sub using one of the best drivers in the industry is going to be hugely outperformed by PSA's jankiest sub? The Power X sub may have received an upgrade, but it is still a budget sub with all the compromises that come at that price point. If you seriously believe a XS15 outperforms a SB13 or ULS-15, your judgement is impaired beyond hope. PSA's charts are a sham, they are based on bad premises in order to deliberately misinform people. Wait for the full set of measurements, and don't try to compare subs that do not have a fair reference for comparison.

Our charts are spot-on. I'm sorry you don't have the ability to understand what they represent. Instead of reducing yourself to this type of grade school mud slinging perhaps you should educate yourself on the subject matter. Start by emailing Josh Ricci. If he has the patience for your "anything PSA is evil" mentality he will explain why our method of data collection and representation is the most accurate method. Of course he has tried that in the past with no progress. Even Mark Seaton, a direct competitor of ours has tried to educate you in these matters. You seem to have no desire to compare products fairly, only to bash anything Power Sound Audio related?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Jahjd2000 and SaviorMachine like this.
post #103 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to keep in mind he may not have been pushing EITHER product to their output limits. If this was the case we cannot make accurate judgments about their capabilities in that regard.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #104 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Depends at what levels you're referring to when comparing the XS30 vs. the SB13u....its close but IMO the XS30 has more overall output and digs deeper...in a smaller room with a good amount of room gain they might be considered close but from what I could tell in my room the XS30(2700^3ft) it had a decent advantage over the SB13U especially down low...smile.gif

My 2 cents

I'm sure it does have some advantage but the new PSA chart makes it seem that the xs15 had the same or more output as the "old" xs 30.
If it does it and its vented brother have dramatically lowered the price of FV 15hp type performance. Seems to almost defy the laws of physics.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #105 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Our charts are spot-on. I'm sorry you don't have the ability to understand what they represent. Instead of reducing yourself to this type of grade school mud slinging perhaps you should educate yourself on the subject matter. Start by emailing Josh Ricci. If he has the patience for your "anything PSA is evil" mentality he will explain why our method of data collection and representation is the most accurate method. Of course he has tried that in the past with no progress. Even Mark Seaton, a direct competitor of ours has tried to educate you in these matters. You seem to have no desire to compare products fairly, only to bash anything Power Sound Audio related?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks for your time in participating in these forums… I'd have been an XS15 owner if it came in the nicer finishes of the XS30 (and the XS-15's competition from other vendors)… opted for an SB13U instead, primarily due to aesthetics (other consideration was Rytmik E15). Which brings me to my question(s) related to the output charts on your website… 1) Why no comparison to Rythmik subs? and 2) How are the subs configured (when there are options) or are the default settings employed? Thanks!

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #106 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Seems most likely you best bet is the f25, have you contacted Rhythmik to see when they might have more?

post #107 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe Russell stated that he preferred the SB13 for his type of music that he likes and the XS30 for movies. I do not recall him stating which had more output.
post #108 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I reckon I would be if I had the energy to comment on everything.

You do not have the energy because you got nothing other then popping in threads to throw jabs. Why not try contributing to forum? Yes that can be fun too...caves are dark and gloomy, come on out! smile.gif
post #109 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

Thanks for your time in participating in these forums… I'd have been an XS15 owner if it came in the nicer finishes of the XS30 (and the XS-15's competition from other vendors)… opted for an SB13U instead, primarily due to aesthetics (other consideration was Rytmik E15). Which brings me to my question(s) related to the output charts on your website… 1) Why no comparison to Rythmik subs? and 2) How are the subs configured (when there are options) or are the default settings employed? Thanks!

There is a comparison with Rythmik FV15HP, look up the XV30Fse chart.
Ozzie Isaac likes this.
post #110 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Tom - I am excited to see your new products. They spec amazing. Progress is good for everyone!

What is the PSA value factor for an XV15se compared to an XV30Fse
post #111 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

Tom - I am excited to see your new products. They spec amazing. Progress is good for everyone!

What is the PSA value factor for an XV15se compared to an XV30Fse

For the whole bandwidth(16-100hz) it is approximately 3.5dB with a fairly even difference over the entire bandwidth increasing a bit toward the upper frequencies.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Ozzie Isaac likes this.
post #112 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

There's only CEA-2010 data for one rythmik and we tried to make the charts fairly close in terms of msrp when we could.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #113 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You do not have the energy because you got nothing other then popping in threads to throw jabs. Why not try contributing to forum? Yes that can be fun too...caves are dark and gloomy, come on out! smile.gif
biggrin.gif I try but i keep bumping into you which sends me scurrying back underground. This forum doesn't need another "soldier" though. I prefer to observe and absorb. I think you and Shady are the same person. I seen this movie somewhere eek.gifbiggrin.gif.

post #114 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

biggrin.gif I try but i keep bumping into you which sends me scurrying back underground. This forum doesn't need another "soldier" though. I prefer to observe and absorb. I think you and Shady are the same person. I seen this movie somewhere eek.gifbiggrin.gif.

Lol. No Shady and I are far from the same...I do not bash other ID sub companies. I would love to have the chance to hear products from each company. I think you are missing some key things. If Shady popped in a thread and said that he does not care for PSA, I have no issue with that. It is the relentless bashing of a product that gets a bit tiresome thread after thread. I guess me defending the product is why you are labeling me a "Soldier" and "Irrational". If that is how you feel that is fine...put me on your ignore list. However I feel that the majority around here does not mind my post style one bit. smile.gif
post #115 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 806

Bass I think you have been pretty level headed when discussing with Shady.  In Shady's defense(sort of, but only a little bit), he had a point regarding a weakness in the design in the old Power X driver.  The problem is, it was a relatively small weakness in the big scheme of things, and he blew it way out of proportion.  It was a design trade off that in the end resulted in a great product for the money with lots of headroom. So I think it could have been valid to a point if presented in a reasonable manner as a minor weakness in the design.  Luckily, PSA obvisously does not rest on its laurels when it comes to performance and value.

At $799, the XV15 was a very good sub for the money, at least the equal of the other best options available when looked at as a whole.

At $899, the XV15se appears to be not just a very good sub, but a GREAT sub for the money.  I am actually quite surprised they were able to keep the cost that low given the quality of the driver, the bump in power, and maintaining a USA made product.  From what I can tell it is very close to matching the $1500-$2000 subs out there, but at an astonishingly low price.  I am not saying it will beat those subs in every metric, but from the info available it looks to be not far off considering the price.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #116 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

This is, of course, more nonsense, but I will reply for the sake of anyone else reading this, as I am sure you well know the flaws in your own argument. You don't really know how those subs on your chart compare because you are using CEA measurements from different testers, and there is too much variability for the degree at which you are comparing them. One of the testers from whose measurements you heavily borrow from four your mendacious comparison chart wrote a four page article making this point. Also, while we are emailing Josh Ricci, lets also ask him if CEA measurements can be compared to the degree that you do on your charts. Anyway, we have been over this before, and I don't feel like typing it all out again. You couldn't address the problems in your comparison then and you can't now. You saying that I have no desire to see subs fairly compared is more than just a little ironic. I'm not the one selling products here. If you wanted to fairly compare subs, you would restrict yourself to a single tester for those charts. You would use more than just CEA averages as performance metrics. But you know all of this already.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #117 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:

Lol. No Shady and I are far from the same...I do not bash other ID sub companies.

Bass, the company we are discussing bashes other sub companies on their own website, on every single one of their product pages as a matter of fact, and in a less than honest manner. I know that you know better than to believe that a XS15 has 1.5 times the performance of a ULS-15 or a SB13, so why would you defend that kind of comparison? You know there is no integrity there. I know you like your PSA subs, but you are not crucial to PSA's success, so you don't need to spend your time defending something that is indefensible.
post #118 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bass, the company we are discussing bashes other sub companies on their own website, on every single one of their product pages as a matter of fact, and in a less than honest manner. I know that you know better than to believe that a XS15 has 1.5 times the performance of a ULS-15 or a SB13, so why would you defend that kind of comparison? You know there is no integrity there. I know you like your PSA subs, but you are not crucial to PSA's success, so you don't need to spend your time defending something that is indefensible.

Shady, I understand your concern with the comparison chart. I have stated before I would rather just see cea2010 data from 20-80hz for every model and that is it. I have never defended the chart and honestly I do find it hard to believe the XS15 would be 1.5 times the performance of a SB13 or ULS-15. Like you said it could be the difference in data sets being used, but I do not see anything wrong with how Tom used the data. The problem lies in the fact that there is no place to get data for all subs. Data-bass is close but not all subs we discuss have been tested.

You already started a thread about your issues with the PSA chart. For some reason you feel it is important to bring this issue into every thread where PSA is mentioned. Why? Are you going to continue this agenda until the charts are removed, if ever? I do know I would like to find a resolution and move on.
post #119 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ahhh.. the wonderful "ignore buton" does wonders for all. Really, more people should try it out, then "those" people will fade away to nothing. smile.gif
post #120 of 141 Old 05-02-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shady, I understand your concern with the comparison chart. I have stated before I would rather just see cea2010 data from 20-80hz for every model and that is it. I have never defended the chart and honestly I do find it hard to believe the XS15 would be 1.5 times the performance of a SB13 or ULS-15. Like you said it could be the difference in data sets being used, but I do not see anything wrong with how Tom used the data. The problem lies in the fact that there is no place to get data for all subs. Data-bass is close but not all subs we discuss have been tested.

You already started a thread about your issues with the PSA chart. For some reason you feel it is important to bring this issue into every thread where PSA is mentioned. Why? Are you going to continue this agenda until the charts are removed, if ever? I do know I would like to find a resolution and move on.

The chart is Spot-on. We used the CEA-2010 output data each manufacturer has provided for their product, including our own XS15se. The XS15se is one of the subwoofers we will be sending to Josh Ricci in the near future. The "output" factor is exactly that....how our products compare in terms of clean output capability per the industry's CEA-2010 measurement protocol.

Someone foaming at the mouth and insisting "but Power Sound Audio simply cannot be THAT good".....is kind of flattering now that I think about it..smile.gif

And I'm sure once Josh posts all of his data that same someone will continue their life quest and find one performance metric out of hundreds to nit-pick. Maybe this time our power cords aren't long enough?

If anyone has ANY specific question about the chart or wants to point out an error, that is fine. We all make typos/errors after all. But all the arm waving/mud slinging in the world doesn't really help when all we hear is an ridiculously vague...>>>I know it can't be correct so that makes those guys dishonest and we all know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<<<<

Maybe some gain some sort of odd pleasure by personally insulting others. Still doesn't help us much though.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page