Reaction Audio BPS 212 "Turbo" vs SVS SB1000 - please advise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi!

I am buying a new Subwoofer in the $500 range, but as I won't have the opportunities to test before buying and as I am quite new to this I need an advise:

It will be used for music mostly - classics, jazz and also some heavier music for parties. I have been told that the piano sometimes can use frequencies up to 30 Hz to unfold its full spectrum.

It will be used with JBL 530 Studio speakers.

It will be used in an apartment not in a house. The room is complex with all parts summing up to a bit less than 500 sq. ft.

Following some advise I have ended up with the Reaction Audio BPS 212 "Turbo" and the SVS SB1000 on my short list. Can you please advise which one should do better? Is there any difference - I see that one has dual drivers and the other one just a single? Any other options you would recommend in the same price range?

Thanks in advance!

Y.K.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Not sure if the Reaction sub would have more overall output given the dual drivers and larger cabinet. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this.

What I would do, though, given that the price of the SB-1000 includes shipping and free return shipping within 45 days, is get an SB-1000 and try it out.

If you like it, you're set; if you don't, you return it and the in-home demo costs you $0.

And then you order a Reaction sub. smile.gif
Yanec likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Personally I would take the Reaction all day long. The SB1000 doesn't seem worth the money to me. Just my opinion, don't want to offend the cult of SVS around here.
Yanec likes this.
post #4 of 18 Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Not sure if the Reaction sub would have more overall output given the dual drivers and larger cabinet. Perhaps someone else will chime in on this.

What I would do, though, given that the price of the SB-1000 includes shipping and free return shipping within 45 days, is get an SB-1000 and try it out.

If you like it, you're set; if you don't, you return it and the in-home demo costs you $0.

And then you order a Reaction sub. smile.gif

Thanks!
Unfortunately two words describe my situation - Eastern Europe... The only way is to order through a friend in the US and hope all works out fine. :-)
post #5 of 18 Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post

Personally I would take the Reaction all day long. The SB1000 doesn't seem worth the money to me. Just my opinion, don't want to offend the cult of SVS around here.

Thanks for the advice! Given the equal prices I was thinking that dual drivers should add more value for the buck too.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanec View Post

Thanks for the advice! Given the equal prices I was thinking that dual drivers should add more value for the buck too.

Don't get me wrong, SVS makes nice stuff. Their high-end subs are awesome, but for a $500 sub every dollar counts, and I'd rather have the money going into the product instead of paying for shipping other people's subs around. Nothing is free, it's just factored into the price. SVS upgrade policy and "free" return shipping are great,-if you use them. If not, you're just paying for the people who do.

If you can stretch your budget to $600, look at the Hsu VTF-2 and Rythmik LV12R.

You just missed the sale on the Outlaw LFM-1 plus for $500.
Yanec likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, SVS makes nice stuff. Their high-end subs are awesome, but for a $500 sub every dollar counts, and I'd rather have the money going into the product instead of paying for shipping other people's subs around. Nothing is free, it's just factored into the price. SVS upgrade policy and "free" return shipping are great,-if you use them. If not, you're just paying for the people who do.

If you can stretch your budget to $600, look at the Hsu VTF-2 and Rythmik LV12R.

You just missed the sale on the Outlaw LFM-1 plus for $500.

As my budget will be available in a month I couldn't use the Outlaw sale and also my wife thinks that the LFM-1 is too big for our furniture size and room style.

I am absolutely OK to spent $600 if I get a better sub for the money! Given it will be used for music mostly and some cinema as a far second - which one would you recommend? I have read that Rythmik produce some great products with an unique technology, but as I said I am a real newbie in audio tech...

Thanks!

post #8 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:

As my budget will be available in a month I couldn't use the Outlaw sale and also my wife thinks that the LFM-1 is too big for our furniture size and room style.

I am absolutely OK to spent $600 if I get a better sub for the money! Given it will be used for music mostly and some cinema as a far second - which one would you recommend? I have read that Rythmik produce some great products with an unique technology, but as I said I am a real newbie in audio tech...

Thanks!

Those are both as big as the Outlaw, so probably a no-go. You should be fine with the Reaction or SVS, especially since you're using it for music. One advantage of the SVS for you is you would save on shipping vs the Reaction. The SB-1000 only weighs 27 lbs while the 212 weighs 60 lbs. Private shipping from U.S. to Europe could be pricey.
Yanec likes this.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Those are both as big as the Outlaw, so probably a no-go. You should be fine with the Reaction or SVS, especially since you're using it for music. One advantage of the SVS for you is you would save on shipping vs the Reaction. The SB-1000 only weighs 27 lbs while the 212 weighs 60 lbs. Private shipping from U.S. to Europe could be pricey.

Yes these are quite big. I am sure they sound great though.

I guess I will still go with the extra shipping costs and the Reaction Audio due to its dual driver, double stacked, bipolar, sealed design. Also it is great that they personally check and audition every unit before sending, this makes sense given my remote location and circumstances.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Depending on where you are in Eastern Europe and on the cost of shipping a Reaction sub from the U.S., an SB-2000 from an SVS dealer in Europe (International Sales) may work out to be a better overall value for you.

Just a thought. Regardless of what sub you end up buying, I hope you enjoy it! cool.gif
Yanec likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Depending on where you are in Eastern Europe and on the cost of shipping a Reaction sub from the U.S., an SB-2000 from an SVS dealer in Europe (International Sales) may work out to be a better overall value for you.

Just a thought. Regardless of what sub you end up buying, I hope you enjoy it! cool.gif

It's a pity but the only dealer in EE is in Russia and they have like 3x the price - Russian style of doing business. 

Thanks I will definitely enjoy - no matter what I choose to buy at the end of the day!

eljaycanuck likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Nevermind. I didn't read the whole thread first. LOL

post #13 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:

It's a pity but the only dealer in EE is in Russia and they have like 3x the price - Russian style of doing business. 
Thanks I will definitely enjoy - no matter what I choose to buy at the end of the day!

Do you have any woodworking skills at all? Or a friend who does? It's pretty easy to build a sealed sub (it's just a box that needs to be certain dimensions), and probably wouldn't be too bad having the driver and amp shipped to you.
Yanec likes this.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Do you have any woodworking skills at all? Or a friend who does? It's pretty easy to build a sealed sub (it's just a box that needs to be certain dimensions), and probably wouldn't be too bad having the driver and amp shipped to you.

Thanks for the idea!

I don't have woodworking skills but I have a great carpenter as a good friend - still we lack any decent material and coatings around here so everything has to be ordered and shipped separately. This won't be much cheaper at the end. And unfortunately I am far too busy to work for my own pleasure.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

I am buying a new Subwoofer in the $500 range, but as I won't have the opportunities to test before buying and as I am quite new to this I need an advise:

It will be used for music mostly - classics, jazz and also some heavier music for parties. I have been told that the piano sometimes can use frequencies up to 30 Hz to unfold its full spectrum.

It will be used in an apartment not in a house. The room is complex with all parts summing up to a bit less than 500 sq. ft.

Following some advise I have ended up with the Reaction Audio BPS 212 "Turbo" and the SVS SB1000 on my short list. Can you please advise which one should do better? Is there any difference - I see that one has dual drivers and the other one just a single? Any other options you would recommend in the same price range?

Quote:

I've been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to review the SB1000 and LV12R -- and within the next two weeks will be publishing an evaluation on the BPS-212 Turbo -- so I have some background with all of the sub mentioned in this thread, with the exception of the VTF-2.

For me, the Rythmik would be on top; for the asking price it's hard to beat. Given that you want a music first system my 2nd choice would be the SB1000. The BPS-212 has the SVS beat in total output and mid-bass, but the accuracy of the SB1000 is first rate.
Yanec likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 660

Ooh give us a teaser on the RA sub Jim :)

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #17 of 18 Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

Ooh give us a teaser on the RA sub Jim smile.gif

Well, if I had to sum it up I would probably say... you have to wait for the review tongue.gif.
zencarver likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #18 of 18 Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I've been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to review the SB1000 and LV12R -- and within the next two weeks will be publishing an evaluation on the BPS-212 Turbo -- so I have some background with all of the sub mentioned in this thread, with the exception of the VTF-2.

For me, the Rythmik would be on top; for the asking price it's hard to beat. Given that you want a music first system my 2nd choice would be the SB1000. The BPS-212 has the SVS beat in total output and mid-bass, but the accuracy of the SB1000 is first rate.

This makes it the first time when I'm happy to wait for my budget for two weeks LOL! I would love to read your review!

What your experience shows changes things for me as I have no sentiment for stronger mid bass or more power, neither do my neighbors :-) but I do want maximum accuracy for the buck.

Also Rythmic might be available closer to me in the EU so this is good news - the total cost with shipping within the EU might match that of the SVS with shipping and customs from the US and you said it is higher on your list.
Thanks!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page