SVS SB 13 Ultra or SVS PB 13 Ultra in a small room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been searching for a new subwoofer for quite a long time. After reading through a couple of forums I narrowed it down to these two subs. I also considered Rhytmik subs, but I wasn't able to find a distributor in Europe. My room is quite small - 10.4×9.8×13.4 (w×h×d) feet. It doesn't open to other rooms.

The sub will be placed near the corner of my room. I have no problems with a ported ultra size. My mains are JBL 580 . The sub will be used for about 80% music and 20% movies. I don't listen to music and movies at high volumes. About -20 db on receiver. Of course, there will be moments, when I turn it up:).

In regards to music, I listen mainly to hip hop & rap (Jay Z, Nas, Biggie, etc.). I occasionally listen to rock, electronic or classical. I would be very grateful, If somebody who listened to both can help me decide, which one would work better in my listening environment. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-18-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Given the size of your room, and the fact you'll be listening mostly to music, I would say go for the SB13U. That should easily be able to accomplish what you're looking to do. It's also less expensive and considerably smaller.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 38 Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree, being an owner of two PB-13's I believe a sealed Sub in a room that size would be the way to go. No matter which way you go you won't be lacking in bass output. However a PB-13 in that sized room would be epic.

Moving Heaven and Earth one Sub at a Time.
post #4 of 38 Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Your room is ~1,400 cu.ft. The SB13-Ultra would be great in there. You'd probably also be quite satisfied with an SB-2000 (which would leave a good chunk of change in your pocket).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario2704 View Post

I have been searching for a new subwoofer for quite a long time. After reading through a couple of forums I narrowed it down to these two subs. I also considered Rhytmik subs, but I wasn't able to find a distributor in Europe. My room is quite small - 10.4×9.8×13.4 (w×h×d) feet. It doesn't open to other rooms.

The sub will be placed near the corner of my room. I have no problems with a ported ultra size. My mains are JBL 580 . The sub will be used for about 80% music and 20% movies. I don't listen to music and movies at high volumes. About -20 db on receiver. Of course, there will be moments, when I turn it up:).

In regards to music, I listen mainly to hip hop & rap (Jay Z, Nas, Biggie, etc.). I occasionally listen to rock, electronic or classical. I would be very grateful, If somebody who listened to both can help me decide, which one would work better in my listening environment. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Given the size of your room, and the fact you'll be listening mostly to music, I would say go for the SB13U. That should easily be able to accomplish what you're looking to do. It's also less expensive and considerably smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post

I agree, being an owner of two PB-13's I believe a sealed Sub in a room that size would be the way to go. No matter which way you go you won't be lacking in bass output. However a PB-13 in that sized room would be epic.

I also agree with the above 2 poster, seal would be the way to go when music is #1, if it was movie the ported one would be my choice.
For your info, My room is 12'W x 8.5'H x 18'L and got 2 PB13 ultra (even if I was told that one was more than enough).
But I am a movie person for 98% of the time.

Enjoy your new toy (what ever way you decide to go) and let us know of your impression.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #6 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions. Currently, I am leaning towards SB 13 myself. Do you think that PB 13 would sound worse with music content or I simply wouldn't use its power in such a small room?
post #7 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 190
My room is about 2.5M x 3.5M. I had a PC Ultra 13. Great for movies but for music just had no upper bass. Just lots of room destroying bass. I would never use a portion of max output. Changed to SBU13 and much better overall.

With antimode 8033 cinema.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #8 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Own a PB-13 Ultra and previously had a PC-13 Ultra. Currently it sits in a room that's about 400-500 sq ft , and it blows the windows out of the apartment. I can tell you from experience that there is no worse feeling than not having the head room or the "capacity" for something more.

This is why regardless of your current room dimensions or listening preferences, I would advise you also think about where you will be in a year or two in case your preferences or living situation changes.

I chose the PB-13 ultra because when I want to listen to music I change the tuning to 30hz, put the three port plugs in and BOOM I get the snappy response I want. On the flip side when I feel like earth shaking destruction in movies I tune to 16hz, pull two port plugs out and BAM suddenly the concrete is falling off the walls.

It's really difficult to find the flexibility that the PB-13 offers in any sub. However if your ears are telling you snappy, tight, responsive bass at lower output and higher frequency is your thing the SB is a great choice.
mnc likes this.
post #9 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I guess the best way would be to hear both subs and then decide. I think I will get the SB 13 as it is cheaper and might work better. If I find something lacking, which I doubt, I will get the PB13 and sell the SB. Decisions, decisions smile.gif
post #10 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your suggestions. Currently, I am leaning towards SB 13 myself. Do you think that PB 13 would sound worse with music content or I simply wouldn't use its power in such a small room?

The PB13 is No slush when it come to music!
Mines are set with all ports open (20Hz) and sound great, some people prefer a seal sub when it come to music.
But it all a matter of personnel preference.

Either choice would be good.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #11 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzola View Post

Own a PB-13 Ultra and previously had a PC-13 Ultra. Currently it sits in a room that's about 400-500 sq ft , and it blows the windows out of the apartment. I can tell you from experience that there is no worse feeling than not having the head room or the "capacity" for something more.

This is why regardless of your current room dimensions or listening preferences, I would advise you also think about where you will be in a year or two in case your preferences or living situation changes.

I chose the PB-13 ultra because when I want to listen to music I change the tuning to 30hz, put the three port plugs in and BOOM I get the snappy response I want. On the flip side when I feel like earth shaking destruction in movies I tune to 16hz, pull two port plugs out and BAM suddenly the concrete is falling off the walls.

It's really difficult to find the flexibility that the PB-13 offers in any sub. However if your ears are telling you snappy, tight, responsive bass at lower output and higher frequency is your thing the SB is a great choice.

+1 on the flexibility and one day having a bigger room.

It hard to tell the OP what to get since I use to have 2 DIY seal subs but prefer the port for my-self but I am more a movie guy.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #12 of 38 Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I guess the best way would be to hear both subs and then decide. I think I will get the SB 13 as it is cheaper and might work better. If I find something lacking, which I doubt, I will get the PB13 and sell the SB. Decisions, decisions smile.gif

Contact SVS and ask them!!!

They will provide you great advise and will not try to oversell.
Also they do have a try out period for 45 days and also have a one year exchange program.
http://www.svsound.com/support/bill-of-rights

Ray
Shadowed likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #13 of 38 Old 05-20-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Between those two, I'd go with the SB13-Ultra also. But I would also take a look at Rythmik's offerings as they have comparable sealed subs costing a bit less.
post #14 of 38 Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzola View Post

I just came upon the SVS PB-13 Ultra and was impressed. My HT room is 18'x24'x9' and I was wondering what you meant by three plugs for music vs. one plug for movies. I'd like to use this mainly for movies, but am curious if I were listening to music how this would affect it. Do the "plugs" refer to the 3 openings on the bottom face of the SVS? Excuse me if this is an inane question because this is the first time I've ever heard 3 vs. 1 plugs.

Currently, my sub is traditionally hooked up with a Y-cable to my Onkyo AVR.
post #15 of 38 Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Ported plugs on a ported subwoofer changes the tune. Putting all three in makes it a sealed sub.

Read the manual.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #16 of 38 Old 07-24-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario2704 View Post

The sub will be placed near the corner of my room. I have no problems with a ported ultra size. My mains are JBL 580 . The sub will be used for about 80% music and 20% movies. I don't listen to music and movies at high volumes. About -20 db on receiver. Of course, there will be moments, when I turn it up.

Since music is your more important priority, I , like many here, would say go with the SB 13. I just got a PB 13 Ultra on Tuesday. I have a 960 cubic foot room. I'm a 99% movie guy, so I went ported. If you don't want to save the money, and you have the space, get the PB and just make it sealed and when you watch movies unplug some ports. Personally, I would never do that. Too tedious for me personally. I like setting it up and leaving it. The SB should be great for your music. The PB is a BEAST with movies I have to say though...

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
post #17 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
I just came upon the SVS PB-13 Ultra and was impressed. My HT room is 18'x24'x9' and I was wondering what you meant by three plugs for music vs. one plug for movies. I'd like to use this mainly for movies, but am curious if I were listening to music how this would affect it. Do the "plugs" refer to the 3 openings on the bottom face of the SVS? Excuse me if this is an inane question because this is the first time I've ever heard 3 vs. 1 plugs.

Currently, my sub is traditionally hooked up with a Y-cable to my Onkyo AVR.

The PB-13 Ultra has a total of three ports ( the holes that air comes out of from the sub at the front, or in your words yes the three openings near the bottom face). The plugs are actually foam like sponges that you insert into the port/ports to prevent air from coming out.

I'm trying to simplify as much as possible but essentially what the PB-13 allows you to do is insert the foam plugs in different configurations to essentially make the sub sound a certain way depending on your needs.

e.g:

1. For best music response: you insert all three plugs into the ports, turning the PB-13 into a monster SB-13 with quicker response for better music listening

2. For best movie watching:Take out all the plugs and prepare for destruction

3. For massive lows (low frequency that is): you insert one plug into a port which allows the PB-13 to tune to 16hz.

In short, the PB-13 offers you the greatest possible flexibility.
post #18 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzola View Post
1. For best music response: you insert all three plugs into the ports, turning the PB-13 into a monster SB-13 with quicker response for better music listening

2. For best movie watching:Take out all the plugs and prepare for destruction

3. For massive lows (low frequency that is): you insert one plug into a port which allows the PB-13 to tune to 16hz.
Do any other subs have this options? For some reason, ported vs. sealed subs have escaped me. I put my HT together 6-7 years ago and just got a sealed sub, didn't even know about options.

So one plug is 16Hz, 2 plugs is 20Hz, and 3 plugs is what? No frequency?

Also, will this completely fill my 18'x24'x9' room? Would I need 2 of these? If I had 2, are there various configurations (with plugs and or placement) that others have tried out that work best?

My plan is to eventually upgrade everything: 4K HU8550, AVR, BD player, even in-ceiling speakers (just got my AIM8 5 Speakercraft replacements). So why not the sub?

I put my system in BEFORE streaming and 3D, so it's 1.3 and completely out of date.

Last edited by MegaMember; 07-25-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: sp.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do any other subs have this options?
It's not that uncommon actually. Hsu, Outlaw, XTZ and Rythmik to name just a few.

Quote:
I put my system in BEFORE streaming and 3D, so it's 1.3 and completely out of date.
Would that be 3.1 perhaps? Apparently your system isn't the only thing out of date...

post #20 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Another option is to have 2 smaller subwoofers, perhaps a pair of sealed 10 inchers for stereo subwoofers since you mentioned 80% is for music.

The PB13ultra is a beast in output and size, it will use a lot of real estate in that room.
post #21 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
It's not that uncommon actually. Hsu, Outlaw, XTZ and Rythmik to name just a few.

Would that be 3.1 perhaps? Apparently your system isn't the only thing out of date...
I was referring to my archaic HDMI capability, and think I was right in saying so. I understand where the condescending remarks come from; they seems to be superfluous throughout these threads if you don't say the precise word or exact phraseology. I don't mind. They don't bother me because my mother brought me up correctly.

My system is 7.1. I don't have anything like the systems some of you guys have here, 9.2, 11.2, 13.2, but it's decent.

I was hoping to get dual subs and like this option with the SB13's.
post #22 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was referring to my archaic HDMI capability, and think I was right in saying so. I understand where the condescending remarks come from; they seems to be superfluous throughout these threads if you don't say the precise word or exact phraseology. I don't mind. They don't bother me because my mother brought me up correctly.

My remark was humour, not condescension. Huge difference.

post #23 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 47
No question, SB13. Small sealed room is a perfect candidate for the SB13 and you will also acquire some room gain for movies. I used to own dual SB13's and my room was much larger than yours. The SB13 will not disappoint.
post #24 of 38 Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Do any other subs have this options? For some reason, ported vs. sealed subs have escaped me. I put my HT together 6-7 years ago and just got a sealed sub, didn't even know about options.

So one plug is 16Hz, 2 plugs is 20Hz, and 3 plugs is what? No frequency?

Also, will this completely fill my 18'x24'x9' room? Would I need 2 of these? If I had 2, are there various configurations (with plugs and or placement) that others have tried out that work best?

My plan is to eventually upgrade everything: 4K HU8550, AVR, BD player, even in-ceiling speakers (just got my AIM8 5 Speakercraft replacements). So why not the sub?

0 plug: 22hz
1 plug: 16hz
2 plug:this is not a supported configuration
3 plug: 30hz

Here is my suggestion: Upgrade your sub. Don't underestimate the impact of a good sub ( no pun intended). I repeat, A GOOD SUB. Nothing is more insulting to anyone's ears than a nasty huffing puffing bass setup. Do it right the first time, and never worry about doing it again.

As to your question about multiple sub setups, with a beast like the PB13 you really don't need two even in a room your size. HOWEVER, two WILL even out the response when placed properly.

I do also concur with some of the other posters that you could do two of the smaller ones.

But here is the deal, if you got the cash, the real state, and either a wife that fears you or no wife at all...GO BIG.
post #25 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post
No question, SB13. Small sealed room is a perfect candidate for the SB13 and you will also acquire some room gain for movies. I used to own dual SB13's and my room was much larger than yours. The SB13 will not disappoint.
"Used to own dual SB13's". What happen? Did you move or did you upgrade to something else?
post #26 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post
"Used to own dual SB13's". What happen? Did you move or did you upgrade to something else?
I decided to ditch them for a pair of JTR S1's.
post #27 of 38 Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow. You don't mess around. You must strap on your seatbelt before you watch a movie.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-03-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
OP I had two of the SVS SB13's co-located in my HT and they were awesome. I'm never happy so I'm moving to a Seaton Submersive F2. That being said these guy's shook my 22x16 room during cannon shots in Master and Commander. More than enough bass and spl. Like I said, I'm just never happy. Lol. I have my subs up for sale in the forum if you live in Washington state or Portland Oregon area.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5 View Post
OP I had two of the SVS SB13's co-located in my HT and they were awesome. I'm never happy so I'm moving to a Seaton Submersive F2. That being said these guy's shook my 22x16 room during cannon shots in Master and Commander. More than enough bass and spl. Like I said, I'm just never happy. Lol. I have my subs up for sale in the forum if you live in Washington state or Portland Oregon area.

If enough is never enough then you came to the right place!

post #30 of 38 Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I also plan to sell my SB12 NSD and go with a SB13 Ultra in my small sealed bedroom that is around 14x13. It could be over kill so who knows.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page