Old (mid to late 90's) Infinity Sub: How to Connect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,
I have an older (90's time frame) 12 inch Infinity sub I'm trying to make do with in my new theater area in my basement. I have a Denon AVR-X4000 that has a sub out like almost all receivers these days. It is a single RCA looking out for the sub. I have a newer sub upstairs that is smaller and it has a single input on the back, so that is an easy hookup. Looking at the back of my older Infinity, it has 2 RCA input jacks labeled left and right. This through me off on how to hook it up since it should just be mono. Back in the 90's with my old Sony receiver, I hooked it up the old school way with speaker wire... it had terminals on it. You would take the left and right from the receiver to the left and right of the sub and then from the sub to the speakers.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to hook this thing up with today's receivers. I plugged it into just one of the jacks (left or right... don't remember which one) and I'm getting audio. However, I don't know that I'm getting the correct audio. Not sure I should just leave it, but then I don't want to be missing out on what could be better if I don't have it hooked up right.

I think the model is BU-2 or something like that. I will have to look later to get the exact model.

Anyone else have any sub that has a left and right for the rca jacks? How did you hook it up?

Thanks,
Doug D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Your AVR-X4000 has two subwoofer outputs, located in the group of outputs labelled PRE OUT.

Run a male RCA-to-RCA cable from the AVR's SUBWOOFER 1 output to a female-RCA-to-male-RCA Y-splitter (such as this) and plug the Y-splitter into both the L & R LOW LEVEL INPUTs on the sub. (See Figure 4 on page 6 of the owner's manual.)

Turn the FREQUENCY control on the sub to max, and set the VOLUME CONTROL to "noon" (to start).

Then:
1. Run the first cycle (all 6-8 positions) of Audyssey, calculate and store, and then check the levels in your AVR's speaker set-up menu.
i) If the speaker levels are at around 0dB, and the sub level is within ~6dB of the level of the speakers, proceed to step 2.
ii) If the sub level is too low, lower the gain (VOLUME CONTROL) on the sub itself; if the sub level is too high, raise the gain on the sub itself; then re-run step 1.

2. Run all cycles of Audyssey, calculate and store. Then go into the speaker set-up menu and:
- set all speakers to "small";
- set the crossover settings to the levels suited to your speakers (usually, start with 80Hz).
- leave the LPF of LFE at 120Hz; and
- bump the level of the sub by ~6dB.

(Do NOT touch the gain control on the sub itself once you've calibrated your system.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much! I thought I might need one of those y adapters, but I wasn't sure.

I'm somewhat familiar with Audyssey as I have run it before on my older Denon 2309ci. I have looked at Batpigs faq on Audyssey and read the Audyssey guide made by several members from this forum. It jives with exactly what you said! I can't wait to get my sound dialed in this weekend!

Thanks!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page