Your AVR-X4000 has two subwoofer outputs, located in the group of outputs labelled PRE OUT
Run a male RCA-to-RCA cable from the AVR's SUBWOOFER 1
output to a female-RCA-to-male-RCA Y-splitter (such as this
) and plug the Y-splitter into both the L
& R LOW LEVEL INPUT
s on the sub. (See Figure 4 on page 6 of the owner's manual
Turn the FREQUENCY
control on the sub to max, and set the VOLUME CONTROL
to "noon" (to start).
1. Run the first cycle (all 6-8 positions) of Audyssey, calculate and store, and then check the levels in your AVR's speaker set-up menu.
i) If the speaker levels are at around 0dB, and the sub level is within ~6dB of the level of the speakers, proceed to step 2.
ii) If the sub level is too low, lower the gain (VOLUME CONTROL) on the sub itself; if the sub level is too high, raise the gain on the sub itself; then re-run step 1.
2. Run all cycles of Audyssey, calculate and store. Then go into the speaker set-up menu and:
- set all speakers to "small";
- set the crossover settings to the levels suited to your speakers (usually, start with 80Hz).
- leave the LPF of LFE at 120Hz; and
- bump the level of the sub by ~6dB.
(Do NOT touch the gain control on the sub itself once you've calibrated your system.)