Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 70 Old 06-12-2014, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If you buy dual subs, a antimode won't EQ each sub individually it'll just EQ the summed output. It will be able to EQ two subs, just it won't run tones to one sub, then the other, then determine what filters should be applied.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
If you buy dual subs, a antimode won't EQ each sub individually it'll just EQ the summed output. It will be able to EQ two subs, just it won't run tones to one sub, then the other, then determine what filters should be applied.
read my message again. i don't use anti-mode if i run duals
post #33 of 70 Old 06-13-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post
I went from the sb2000 to the pb2000 for exactly what you are looking for. I was underwhelmed with the sb2000, especially for movies. It had tight, clean bass, but it lacked the heaviness and explosiveness of even the pb1000, which I originally owned. Switching to the pb2000 was like a whole new world. It will kick you in the chest in a small room like that (my room is about the same size). The sound also sounds bigger and heavier. If you have the space, go for the pb2000. I also didn't notice a difference for music between the sb and pb. However, I didn't do critical listening in that regard. Despite that, I think the pb sounds great for music. Soft and subtle when needed but hard hitting as well.
So, SB-2000 didn't give you that tactile chest thump in ~1000 cu feet room? Staff at SVS told me it surely do
post #34 of 70 Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomybass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post
I went from the sb2000 to the pb2000 for exactly what you are looking for. I was underwhelmed with the sb2000, especially for movies. It had tight, clean bass, but it lacked the heaviness and explosiveness of even the pb1000, which I originally owned. Switching to the pb2000 was like a whole new world. It will kick you in the chest in a small room like that (my room is about the same size). The sound also sounds bigger and heavier. If you have the space, go for the pb2000. I also didn't notice a difference for music between the sb and pb. However, I didn't do critical listening in that regard. Despite that, I think the pb sounds great for music. Soft and subtle when needed but hard hitting as well.
So, SB-2000 didn't give you that tactile chest thump in ~1000 cu feet room? Staff at SVS told me it surely do
can somebody prove this true or false
post #35 of 70 Old 06-15-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
can somebody prove this true or false
I went from PCU13 to SBU13 and it's as good as the PCU13 for movies, and a lot better for music.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #36 of 70 Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Just got SB-2000 and played with it a little, but didn't get it hit me in chest (yet), but i could easily shake the house with bass i love you -song. It didn't play loud, until I set gain on subwoofer to almost max, and bass gain on receiver to zero and enable dynamic EQ. Actually dynamic EQ made it play so loud that it clipped, is this dangerous? What's the most safe way to try the capablities of the sub without blowing it? With default Audussey settings I wasn't impressed
post #37 of 70 Old 06-23-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're used to the one noted thump thump thump like boy racers have, you won't be impressed with SVS type bass.

Also I'm sure SB2000 is a great sub, but I wouldn't have the SB12+ for the main home theatre sub it doesn't grab you by your skeleton shake you about, slap you in the face like the PCU/SBU 13 subs do.

For music, the SB2000 will be more than plenty.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #38 of 70 Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am late to the party, but any Carver/Sunfire subwoofer is a bad choice. While they deliver a lot of bass, the bass is not tight but rather boomy. Another issue is that the amps are cheaply built and do not last long. I had a Sunfire sub and they amp died two times. The repair tech said that the caps fail a lot on the design.

Also, since the amps are rail-based, they do not have transformers. This design is prone to hum issues, which was one of the problems I had...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #39 of 70 Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I had the same dilemma. I bought two HRS-12's. I have no boominess after EQ (audyssey xt 32). No humming. They dig very deep for such a small looking package. They are gorgeous pinao black and is the reason my wife let me buy them. They've been going strong for over a year each so far. At 800$ they are incredible value for the design. Definitely ahead of their time.
post #40 of 70 Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

im disappointed with sb-2000. Just a marginal improvement over cerwin vegas in sound quality, but lacks the chest punch. Sure Can shake the house with LFE, but for music it didn't meet my exceptions. I know the chest punch at moderate volume is possible, as i have been to a house party where i have witnessed this effect. May it be that the floor absorbs the impact, as it resonates pretty much?
post #41 of 70 Old 06-25-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
im disappointed with sb-2000. Just a marginal improvement over cerwin vegas in sound quality, but lacks the chest punch. Sure Can shake the house with LFE, but for music it didn't meet my exceptions. I know the chest punch at moderate volume is possible, as i have been to a house party where i have witnessed this effect. May it be that the floor absorbs the impact, as it resonates pretty much?
Return it and get, at minimum, a PSA XS15se. It has pretty much double the output. If you think you need more than that, get an XS30se. It will have triple the output or more on music.

Before you throw in the towel though, make sure that you have the sub placed and set up properly. Did you do a subwoofer crawl? Is it in the same place where other subs have sounded great in your room? Is the phase set properly? If you are out of phase with your speakers you will get a noted LACK of bass in the chest thump region. Do you have the ability to measure your room to see if you have a large null somewhere in the FR? I would make sure these points are adressed first before considering another sub.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

Last edited by bear123; 06-25-2014 at 05:54 PM.
post #42 of 70 Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
If it can "shake the house" with LFE effects from movies (most of which are in the 20hz-40hz range) then you should have plenty of output for music. Perhaps you're sitting in a null at the frequencies you expect to get that "chest punch". If so, no amount of subwoofer will fix it. Going with dual subs likely will.

And really, "chest punch" at "moderate" volumes is not really possible unless the sub is running much hotter than the rest of the system. If everything is in balance then moderate volume is not going to do it, unless your definition of moderate volume is a at least a continuous 95db plus.

Not directed to the OP-
And do we really need to see a sales pitch for PSA in almost every thread.
Tom seems to already be selling more than he can make.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #43 of 70 Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Return it and get, at minimum, a PSA XS15se. It has pretty much double the output. If you think you need more than that, get an XS30se. It will have triple the output or more on music.

Before you throw in the towel though, make sure that you have the sub placed and set up properly. Did you do a subwoofer crawl? Is it in the same place where other subs have sounded great in your room? Is the phase set properly? If you are out of phase with your speakers you will get a noted LACK of bass in the chest thump region. Do you have the ability to measure your room to see if you have a large null somewhere in the FR? I would make sure these points are adressed first before considering another sub.
i don't think that the power is issue, as i don't even run it at full gain. If i add gain, it will turn boomy. Is it harmfull to run subwoofer at full gain and also have subwoofer level maxed out from receiver? I have also tried place sub in corner, next to wall and middle of the room: it will either sound boomy or too quiet
post #44 of 70 Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i don't think that the power is issue, as i don't even run it at full gain. If i add gain, it will turn boomy. Is it harmfull to run subwoofer at full gain and also have subwoofer level maxed out from receiver? I have also tried place sub in corner, next to wall and middle of the room: it will either sound boomy or too quiet
If you do that, you will likely be nowhere near a calibrated level with your main speakers. You should be setting the gain around half and then running your avr's room correction, shooting for a subwoofer trim level of around-6 to -9 in the AVR. If not, adjust the gain on your sub and rerun room correction until you get in that range. Once you are, turn up your sub 3-6 dB in your AVR and do some listening. You could just be used to extremely over exagerated bass, or you could have a very bad in room response with big peaks and nulls, causing the poor sound quality.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #45 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

about the audussey EQ2... Do i have to place the mic at ear height when i sit or standing? And it calibrates at three different locations, but i listen only at one location, so do i have to calibrate same spot three times? And why it always turns on dynamic EQ, or rather, why the bass is so quiet without it? Which is better, use the dynamic eq, or disable it and boost subwoofer level?
post #46 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

And also, why the audyssey sets my 12" tower speakers to small, and crossover just 40 hz?
post #47 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 05:33 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
And also, why the audyssey sets my 12" tower speakers to small, and crossover just 40 hz?
Audyssey's "small" vs "large" speakers is misleading. It should be "send bass to main speakers". If you have a sub, you do not want to send bass to your main speakers, no matter how big they are. However, the crossover is too low. You should adjust it to between 60-100Hz, with 80Hz being the recommended crossover point. Otherwise the sub is only getting signal below <40Hz.
post #48 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

"If you have a sub, you do not want to send bass to your main speakers, no matter how big they are."

Unless your sub is worse than your mains, which is possible. I've got a crappy subwoofer in the PC system, so I rather have it switched off. The L/R are too bassy with sub switched to off, with L/R as large as it's near field, so I just use the Yamaha crossover to set to 60hz so for music there is enough bass.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #49 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Can somebody explain, why audussey sets crossover to only 40 hz?
post #50 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
"If you have a sub, you do not want to send bass to your main speakers, no matter how big they are."

Unless your sub is worse than your mains, which is possible. I've got a crappy subwoofer in the PC system, so I rather have it switched off. The L/R are too bassy with sub switched to off, with L/R as large as it's near field, so I just use the Yamaha crossover to set to 60hz so for music there is enough bass.
After some experimenting I've found that I like the sound better with my mains set to large.
No one says you can't ever run your mains as large. User/listener preference trumps all.
post #51 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
After some experimenting I've found that I like the sound better with my mains set to large.
No one says you can't ever run your mains as large. User/listener preference trumps all.
For music, ok. But for movies I'd never set them to large. There's just too much bass information in movie soundtracks, so it's best to move it to your subwoofer. You may use a lower crossover ie 60hz but I still wouldn't use full range, that means 20hz..unless you have floorstanders with built in subs..

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #52 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Audyssey doesn't set the crossovers. Audyssey measures the in room response of your speakers. That info is used by the AVR to determine the crossover points. Each AVR interprets this info differently...and often...incorrectly.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...over-frequency

Here is another good read on the topic.

http://www.audyssey.com/blog/small-vs-large

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #53 of 70 Old 06-29-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's possible that your mains are rolling off by then in your room. Regardless, most cross a bit higher even if they play to 40, for various reasons.

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #54 of 70 Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

svs sb-2000, what a disappointment... The difference in music is negligible compared to my floorstanders, and I actually find my cerwin's play the bass a bit better. I have tried sub crawling, different crossover- and gain settings etc. I can see the cone doing it's work as it should, but regardless of the settings/placement, the sound is just indistinguishable or exaggerated boomy without the visceral impact. This sub only satisfies me at frequencies below 40 Hz, where it really shakes the walls, but that isn't a worth of 700 € IMO.
post #55 of 70 Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I had the same dilemma. I bought two HRS-12's. I have no boominess after EQ (audyssey xt 32). No humming. They dig very deep for such a small looking package. They are gorgeous pinao black and is the reason my wife let me buy them. They've been going strong for over a year each so far. At 800$ they are incredible value for the design. Definitely ahead of their time.
Had my Sunfire HRS-12 for about 6 years. Love it's nice finish and output. Never had a issue with it. Runs super cool even at high levels. Recently added my Paradigm PW2100 to the room.( 15 x 21) It smoothed out the bass in the room but runs much hotter. Heat is a enemy of electronics.

Another thing about the Sunfire is it's small size and big output. I have no regrets about buying it.
mo949 likes this.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #56 of 70 Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Contacted svs and asked for advice. They told me to turn double bass (main + sub) mode on, crossover 80 Hz and disable dynamic EQ, then adjust the sub gain. I cranked sub gain to max and AVR's bass level to +2 db. The bass is now indeed much tighter and fuller, but still lacks the viceral impact i desire. Not sure if returning...
post #57 of 70 Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Just watched some bass-heavy action scenes, and still wasn't impressed. Explosions sounds still boomy and didn't shake walls; I wonder why, as songs like "bass I love you" easily does
post #58 of 70 Old 06-30-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Contacted svs and asked for advice. They told me to turn double bass (main + sub) mode on, crossover 80 Hz and disable dynamic EQ, then adjust the sub gain. I cranked sub gain to max and AVR's bass level to +2 db. The bass is now indeed much tighter and fuller, but still lacks the viceral impact i desire. Not sure if returning...
Sounds like what I get with my SVS SB12+ in the home theater. Great for music, but pretty meh for movies.

Also had PC Ultra 13 at the same time, that pretty much shook the room, but wasn't impressive for music. SB Ultra 13 does both brilliantly.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #59 of 70 Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

I thought about getting Anti-mode sub EQ. Can it really get rid of the boominess and add visceral impact in my case? Also, how it conjunctions with Audyssey EQ2 and double bass -mode?
post #60 of 70 Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Anti -mode can not fix nulls....sounds like you have a dip in the FR response around 80hz. I suggest purchasing a measuring mic and download a freeware copy of REW to measure your systems response. You may end up needing 2 subs to help smooth the response.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page