post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 658
F-12.jpg

$200 for a 12” powered subwoofer? What's wrong with it? Well, basically nothing is wrong with it. The BIC America F12 is a veritable masterpiece of low cost engineering, materials and construction. How does it perform? We'll get to that in a few minutes. First some basic specs

The F12 sports a 12” driver with a molded synthetic cone that has a shiny aluminum colored finish and a class D plate amp that provides 150 watts into the driver's 8 ohm impedance. The 17” X 17” X 15” enclosure is finished in the typical black laminate with a black grille. The driver faces forward and the port faces to the rear just below the plate amp. The whole unit weighs 42 lbs. Claimed frequency response is 25 to 200 hz. Sensitivity is rated at 90 db.

The plate amp has all the normal features one would expect in most powered subwoofers. It has a line level LFE input as well speaker level inputs and outputs. It has auto on, level and crossover pots and a phase switch. All in all pretty mainstream.

My purpose in buying the unit was to upgrade the audio on my business computer. It is coupled with a pair of Tannoy Reveal monitors and a Teac stereo receiver. The source is a Sound Blaster X-Fi audio card feeding a small DAC through a Toslink connection. In a nutshell, it does the job quite nicely. My computer has better audio than most people's home stereo systems.

But to begin I installed it in my home theater so that I could compare it to my other two subwoofers – a DIY Ultimax 15” sealed sub with a 300 watt plate amp and an old B&W AS-6 12” ported sub that has been repaired with an aftermarket 250 watt plate amp.

To be honest, I'm fairly spoiled to have the Ultimax 15. It is absolutely superb sounding with everything I ask it to do. We need to understand that with the comparisons. The old B&W 12 is fairly strong but a little loose and thumpy in its sound presentation. I compared all three subs with the Hobbit Blu Ray and a selection of jazz and classical music DVD's.

My Ultimax 15 is strong down to 25 hz. It has a pronounced peak at 30hz and returns to the flat line right at 25 hz where it starts dropping off. The B&W and the BIC move that up about 5 hz. Both of them are strong to 30hz and start dropping off markedly below that. I wouldn't give either one of them a FR rating below 30 hz. However, that is enough to get the job done for most people.

The Ultimax is amazingly smooth, accurate and detailed with everything I reproduce with it. The B&W, which cost $500 back in the late 90's is somewhat of a thumper and loses definition below 35 hz. The BIC sounds significantly different from the B&W but not better or worse. I would say it is comparable to the B&W, a little tighter and more accurate in the lower registers but perhaps even a little thumpier. It doesn't perform like the better subwoofers as one would expect but, for its price, it is really pretty amazing. Remember it only cost $200 and that included shipping from the Amazon seller.

The BIC doesn't have the power or “displacement” to make a bass hungry A/V enthusiast jump for joy. It does have enough performance to support a pair of main speakers with true bass reproduction as long as the venue isn't way above typical in size for home audio. It can shake walls with LFE and it can play louder than I wanted to play it in my room. It is a good subwoofer and a truly amazing one when you consider its modest selling price.

Who should buy the BIC? Any budget conscious A/V enthusiast who has a reasonably sized listening room will certainly enjoy the true bass it can provide. Add it along with a pair of bookshelf speakers to your computer desk like I did and you will certainly spend more time listening while you operate the computer. Shouldn't every computer have a 12” subwoofer attached to it? Heck yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Nice write up.

I have heard this bic model and I think it's a solid buy for the $$

Link 1: All 3 Marty subs done, 6 week journey! Link 2: Quick Irule review with pics
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...k-journey.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-rem...ing-about.html
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 318
smiley-gen014.gif

I always enjoy it when owners post their thoughts. I wish more would. There's a BIC H-100II sitting in my spare room waiting for review, so I can relate to a lot of what you wrote.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 9 Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Like many people, the F12 was at the top of my list when I began sub shopping. I decided instead to save up and go DIY, but the BIC is good as long as the person knows what they are getting. It is at the low end of budget subs, but also a solid performer and light years beyond a HTIB sub. Did anyone here ever do a direct comparison of the F12 and PSW505?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

smiley-gen014.gif

I always enjoy it when owners post their thoughts. I wish more would. There's a BIC H-100II sitting in my spare room waiting for review, so I can relate to a lot of what you wrote.

Thanks. Perhaps it is time to put your BIC to use on the computer desk.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis View Post
Like many people, the F12 was at the top of my list when I began sub shopping. I decided instead to save up and go DIY, but the BIC is good as long as the person knows what they are getting. It is at the low end of budget subs, but also a solid performer and light years beyond a HTIB sub. Did anyone here ever do a direct comparison of the F12 and PSW505?
There are several comparisons around here somewhere. in general, the 505 beats the f12. the BIC which directly compares to the psw505 is the f12's big brother, the PL-200 (the new version of the H-100)
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I used to own a pair of Bic F12's. I thought they were great for the what I paid for them.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #8 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
There are several comparisons around here somewhere. in general, the 505 beats the f12. the BIC which directly compares to the psw505 is the f12's big brother, the PL-200 (the new version of the H-100)

I suspect most would say the opposite regarding the Polk and the BIC; the F12 is probably the more highly regarded of the two. The PL200 isn't the new H-100 either. They're distinctly different models.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 9 Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
I suspect most would say the opposite regarding the Polk and the BIC; the F12 is probably the more highly regarded of the two. The PL200 isn't the new H-100 either. They're distinctly different models.
No, they aren't the same. The PL-200 replaced the H-100 essentially. I wasn't trying to imply they were the same. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page