Which sub(s) will best match/blend with a pair of JL Audio Gotham g213s? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which sub(s) will best match/blend with a pair of JL Audio Gotham g213s?
JL Audio F212 0 0%
JL Audio F113 x1 0 0%
JL Audio F113 x2 0 0%
Two Gothams are ideal. 0 0%
Get the 3rd Gotham and be done with it. 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-07-2014, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ordered a pair of new JL Gotham g213s (sequential serials and manufactured June 2014 or later) through my local dealer this week. The Gothams will be replacing the 3 subs in my current setup: JL f212, JL f110, and ML Descent. Meanwhile, I'm wondering if I should keep my f212 as a 3rd sub or if I would be better off replacing the f212 with the f113 for a better match with these future Gothams. A 3rd Gotham is a half-hearted consideration and there's no comfortable location to place a 4th Gotham without obstructing a pathway. The location for the 3rd Gotham (or f212) is questionable but fits a f110 perfectly without infringing upon a walkway. I could place two f113s comfortably within this room.

I’m afraid that this is an acoustically challenged room, but I don't feel comfortable moving the home theater to a smaller upstairs room. The house is built on a slab, so no worries with the foundation. The designated HT room is just under 8000 cubic feet because of 22’ ceilings (L x W x H), but then there is a 9' 4" wide opening to the foyer, a 3' 10" wide opening to the kitchen, a 32" wide opening to a short hallway, and a 32" wide opening to a curving hallway. There’s also stairs that span the left wall and I measured from the base of the stairs, not the wall of the stairs to determine room width. Behind and above these stairs is an open walkway on the 2nd floor that runs the entire length of the room to other areas of the home. There are zero doors to close any of these openings with, so I suppose the true cubic feet calculation is in the 5 figure range, hence the need for more powerful subs, or so that was my conclusion.

I searched the net and emailed JL Audio (still waiting on a response but I'll post their reply here) and I'm unable to determine:
  • Does the f113 use the exact same woofer/driver as the Gotham? I notice that the Gotham is capable of lower hertz, 19 Hz vs 20 Hz of both the f113 and f212.
  • Have there been any improvements or changes to the Gotham over the years? For instance, is a 2007 Gotham any different from a 2014 Gotham in regards to firmware, materials, design, or components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post

I searched the net and emailed JL Audio (still waiting on a response but I'll post their reply here)

JL Audio's outstanding/helpful/professional initial response:
Hello Shawn,
All I can say is wow!
There have not been any user-noticable changes in the series over the years.
The drivers for the home products are the similar to the car products but different to match up with a 120V power amp assy.
None of these "matching" issues have anything to do with each other. Both I and "we" have set up an insane number of complex combinations, and in order of "what matters:" it's 70% room acoustics and sub placement, 25% timing issues, and 5% EVERYTHING ELSE.
Therefore I am going to start with my white papers . Since you are obviously a loyal JL customer (!) if you give me your snail mail address I will send you my test CD free of charge.
Please feel free to call me to discuss any of this.
It will of course be MOST helpful to know everything about your setup:
Room Size
seating arrangement
equipment
Home theater or 2-channel, etc preferences
Types of music, for example well-recorded jazz, classical, old rock, broadway, techno dub step, etc etc.
Here are the white papers and links I promised.
But first... a tiny shameless plug...
Barry,
As per last week’s discussion regarding my experiences with your surround system calibration technique/subwoofer alignment:
First…a quotable:
“…The results of the Soundoctor sound system calibration technique are nothing short of transcendental.

In addition to jaw dropping improvements in sonic “punch” and visceral impact, phantom center coherency and soundstage imaging for frequencies well above the subwoofer crossover frequency are also vastly improved, even on “real-world” systems with non-optimal geometry or acoustic environments…
I’m now on a quest to re-calibrate every system I’ve ever installed using the Soundoctor method!”
David Lloyd
Owner | Chief Technician
Mogul Media Systems LLC
www.MogulMediaSystems.com
Look for the SUBS paper: www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm
This is an in-depth discussion of every method of "adding a sub".
There's also my newest TEST CD , with the accompanying setup hints, here:
www.soundoctor.com/testcd
Here's a secret page (not linked on any menu, not indexed) which describes a professional mastering studio:
www.soundoctor.com/studio
What this proves is just what a pair of correctly installed and set up 112's (not even 113's !!!) can do - it's astonishing. (hint: it's just about ALL room acoustics)
Since room acoustics is certainly some 70% of the battle, Art Noxon has some great acoustic articles:
http://www.asc-home-theater.com/ht-articles.htm

-and-
http://www.tubetrap.com
If you're interested in MORE acoustics links, see here:
http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/links3.htm
(I helped start the Boston Audio Society in 1971, before they invented water,
and have been the webmaster for 17 years)
Here's a page that discusses (AC) power requirements, real and imagined...
http://www.soundoctor.com/jlaudio/power/
And last but hardly least, here's a teaser page showing the NEW crossover!
http://www.soundoctor.com/jlaudio/cr1/
Just in !!! - a review of the e-subs.
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/e-sub-e110-e112
Again, phone time is often the most productive, but email back your tech info.
Kind Regards
Barry
Barry Ober
JL Audio Home Products Senior Tech Support Engineer
post #3 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
so let me get this straight...

you spend 24 large for 2 subs...and you get the test cd FREE OF CHARGE?

bless his heart...
post #4 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't buy the new Gothams directly from JL Audio, I special ordered them through my local dealer. JL Audio will only receive what their distributor pricing structure determined. I'm grateful for the free Test / Setup CD Version 2.7.1, it sells for $18 after all, and the technical support provided by JL Audio is well beyond my greatest expectations.

Btw, I highly doubt that anyone pays full MSRP for any new HT gear, especially in the high-end range; I know I never have. It wasn't buy one get one free, but adding a 3rd Gotham would have achieved an even lower price per unit.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

and no doubt, a lint-free clothe complete with JL audio's logo...

free of charge, of course...

They do recommend a microfiber cloth or feather duster for nonabrasive cleaning.

From the manual:
Light smudges can generally be wiped off with a clean microfiber cloth. For more
stubborn smudges, polish and protect the finish using Eagle One “Nanowax®”
liquid and a soft , microfiber detailing cloth. We recommend “Nanowax®”
because, in our testing, it has performed best in creating a lustrous, swirl-free
result.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I'd recommend you add 4 LMS-18's, 8000cuft is a lot of space to fill.
http://www.data-bass.com/systems

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread - g213s? by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page