How to configure my westra sub maestro 10" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
soler37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to configure my westra sub maestro 10"

So I'm wondering, where would be the best place to put it and I have 3 options (see pictures)
How far minimum from the wall is recommended to put my sub and my other question is regarding the HI-CUT dial (40 - 150hz ), where to set it and what crossover in the receiver should I set it at, so far its between 60 to 80 but my knowledge on the subject is far from prefect(at the least the recommended position) and what volume should I put it at.
Some info on my setup. My 3 fronts are wharfedale zaldek s2000's with the center. On the back it says nominal impedance 6ohms with a power handling of 250wts and the center is the same ohms but with 150 wts.
I know sounds has to do alot with the room so ill give screens of that too.
Any help would be appreciated.


Pics:
Subwoofer
http://i58.tinypic.com/1zxtnbs.jpg

Options :http://i59.tinypic.com/jtnhx2.jpghttp://i58.tinypic

http://i59.tinypic.com/2884j9g.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/b3omjb.jpg


P.s - this is where my front facing side speakers go, let me know if its good please.

http://i61.tinypic.com/111thmp.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/10h3dq8.jpg

Last edited by soler37; 06-13-2014 at 07:21 AM.
soler37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
If you have three options for placement pick the one that gives you best bass at your listening position (s). Turn the hi-cut/crossover setting on the sub to max and let your receiver manage the crossover. I'd start with 80 for crossover. Does your receiver have an auto setup/room correction routine to run?

lovinthehd is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
soler37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
If you have three options for placement pick the one that gives you best bass at your listening position (s). Turn the hi-cut/crossover setting on the sub to max and let your receiver manage the crossover. I'd start with 80 for crossover. Does your receiver have an auto setup/room correction routine to run?
I have a mic but when I do the setup the end resault is wrong.
Gives me 160 crossover on reciever and leaves my left and right fronts on large
soler37 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by soler37 View Post
I have a mic but when I do the setup the end resault is wrong.
Gives me 160 crossover on reciever and leaves my left and right fronts on large
What receiver do you have? The avr manufacturer doesn't want to "insult" you that your speakers are "small" so they generally do that despite the lack of bass management that ensues. Turn the speakers to small in any case when using a sub.

What are the +/- 3dB specs for your speakers? Unless they're small sat speakers that 160 setting doesn't make much sense...

lovinthehd is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
soler37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
What receiver do you have? The avr manufacturer doesn't want to "insult" you that your speakers are "small" so they generally do that despite the lack of bass management that ensues. Turn the speakers to small in any case when using a sub.

What are the +/- 3dB specs for your speakers? Unless they're small sat speakers that 160 setting doesn't make much sense...
The only small sat are my back 2 which are pure acoustics.
The front 3 are definitely large speakers.
soler37 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by soler37 View Post
The only small sat are my back 2 which are pure acoustics.
The front 3 are definitely large speakers.
Doesn't matter if your speakers appear to be large, if you want bass management set them to "small". What make/model of receiver? What are the specs on your main speakers?

lovinthehd is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
soler37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
What receiver do you have? The avr manufacturer doesn't want to "insult" you that your speakers are "small" so they generally do that despite the lack of bass management that ensues. Turn the speakers to small in any case when using a sub.

What are the +/- 3dB specs for your speakers? Unless they're small sat speakers that 160 setting doesn't make much sense...
My receiver is yamaha rx v371 and my main 2 speakers say 6 ohms. Besides that no other info on them

Last edited by soler37; 06-13-2014 at 01:53 PM.
soler37 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by soler37 View Post
My receiver is yamaha rx v371 and my main 2 speakers say 6 ohms. Besides that no other info on them
The impedance (6 ohms) doesn't mean much as far as frequency response goes but I couldn't find any spec for your speakers with a brief search. Didn't see that model has Yamaha's YPAO, but it does utilize a mic and test tones to establish levels and distance/delay? I'd still start at 80 hz crossover in the avr but possible if your speakers do not have much capability at lower frequencies that you may need a higher crossover point.

ps Your avr may have selected the lowest common denominator for crossover in your surrounds....


Last edited by lovinthehd; 06-13-2014 at 02:12 PM.
lovinthehd is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
soler37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
The impedance (6 ohms) doesn't mean much as far as frequency response goes but I couldn't find any spec for your speakers with a brief search. Didn't see that model has Yamaha's YPAO, but it does utilize a mic and test tones to establish levels and distance/delay? I'd still start at 80 hz crossover in the avr but possible if your speakers do not have much capability at lower frequencies that you may need a higher crossover point.

ps Your avr may have selected the lowest common denominator for crossover in your surrounds....
Well do I need to set all of my speakers to small, including my center?
Edit: found the specs for the r/l/c

fronts:
sensitivity - 91db
Frequency response - 30 - 23khz
Bass unit - 2×200mm
Midrange +treble - horn loaded

Center:
90db
70-39khz
2×170mm
Horn loaded

Hope this helps

Last edited by soler37; 06-14-2014 at 12:43 AM.
soler37 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
soler37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Up
soler37 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by soler37 View Post
Well do I need to set all of my speakers to small, including my center?
Edit: found the specs for the r/l/c

fronts:
sensitivity - 91db
Frequency response - 30 - 23khz
Bass unit - 2×200mm
Midrange +treble - horn loaded

Center:
90db
70-39khz
2×170mm
Horn loaded

Hope this helps
Yes, all speakers to small, this enables the receiver to manage the bass for your subwoofer (which is generally the best option as most speakers do not handle lower bass frequencies as well as a dedicated subwoofer). The spec for frequency response without a definition (like +/- 3 dB) doesn't mean much and I seriously doubt your speakers are capable of 30 Hz at +/- 3 dB spec. In any case I'd still crossover at 80 and see how it sounds. May not be best for your surrounds but unless you have adjustment for each speaker's crossover separately I wouldn't worry about it (and I'd use 160 as suggested by the receiver for your sats, altho somewhat dependant on what they are).

lovinthehd is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off