16Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Tom Nousaine RIP

Very sad news. Tom was a great guy who contributed much to this hobby!

S&V eulogy now up here

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-and-friend-sv

Last edited by Randy Bessinger; 06-17-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Wah?!? Awww! This is terrible news.

A great contributor, indeed and then some. Smart guy. He will be missed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Yes, what a loss, a pioneer ... especially with regard to high levels of low distortion deep bass in the home.

As evidenced by his legendary IB, that Thomas over at the Cult archived below;

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelyb...usaineIB1.html

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So sad....RIP TN.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #5 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
RIP to one of the first writers to start to open my eyes about this stuff.

Also, condolences to SMWTMS members and other personal friends reading this thread.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #6 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Indeed a loss RIP Tom and thanks for many years of knowledge & enjoyment you gave to this hobby!
post #7 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
Ver sad news. Tom was a great guy who contributed much to this hobby!
Sad news indeed. I first bumped into Tom Nousaine on the old Stereo Review BB in the mid 1990s. He was very generous with his time as I prodded him with hundreds of questions(and believe me---the majority were very *noobish*) regarding DIY, audio measurements, etc. In short, without his patience and enthusiasm for my projects, there would likely never have been a svs, or a power sound.

Much of his published work can be found here.

http://www.nousaine.com/

Tom was a true White Hat and he'll be missed.

Tom Vodhanel
LCSeminole, thehun and audiofan1 like this.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
"We speaker builders won't settle for wimpy 25hz 10" subs. We want real bass ... the 5hz stuff."
Tom Nousaine

Speaker Builder Magazine
July 1995

^ Yeah, 20 years ago, ... 1995

"The hottest and best performing modern music and home theater systems employ full range main speakers, with good response to 80hz, augmented with separate true summed mono subwoofers crossed over at 80hz or lower and optimally placed in a corner."
Tom Nousaine

Speaker Builder 6/95

Also, just wanted to share some more. Nousaine was a no nonsense writer, often dispelling common myths. He authored articles in mainstream magazines, and was one of the few writers I cared for in Stereo Review. In the early 90s, he submitted articles about both Boundary Gain, and Pressure Gain. He covered the benefits of multiple subs, and addressing room resonances/standing waves and room modes.

He tested over 200 commercially available subwoofers. Due to their inadequacies, he championed DIY subwoofer efforts. He noted the landscape of commercial offerings, until late 2008*, couldn't produce infrasonic content at reference level.

*(Epik Conquest, SVS-PB13 Ultra)

Certainly worth a look;
http://www.nousaine.com/nousaine_tech_articles.html
MemX likes this.

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Very sad news indeed. Based upon this the man wasn't even 70. What a shame.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #10 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
Ver sad news. Tom was a great guy who contributed much to this hobby!
Sad news indeed. I first bumped into Tom Nousaine on the old Stereo Review BB in the mid 1990s. He was very generous with his time as I prodded him with hundreds of questions(and believe me---the majority were very *noobish*) regarding DIY, audio measurements, etc. In short, without his patience and enthusiasm for my projects, there would likely never have been a svs, or a power sound.

Much of his published work can be found here.

http://www.nousaine.com/

Tom was a true White Hat and he'll be missed.

Tom Vodhanel
Thanks Tom. He really was a great guy.

Last edited by Randy Bessinger; 06-15-2014 at 03:57 PM.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It has been my misfortune not to have read Tom Nousaine in many years. The articles on his website show that I have been in grievous error for not reading them. His passing is a true loss.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-16-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 1833
A sad day for his loved ones and for the AV world in general. This industry needs more guys like Tom to spread the word and cut through the BS. RIP.

post #13 of 31 Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been following Tom Nousaine for about 15 years. His work was instrumental in my subwoofer decisions. Tom has tested well over 200 subwoofers:

Here is one list of the subs tested by Tom. If this chart was previously posted, please forgive me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0
Archaea likes this.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Met him at the Home Entertainment 2005 show in NYC... a super-nice and interesting guy who was completely unswayed by 'high end' mythmakers. We need more like him in audio journalism.
thehun likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Tom had a lot to say that didn't find its way into the mainstream press or for that matter the typical website. Tom wrote extensively in USENET, which after Google took it over became Google Groups. Head on over there and do a search under his last name to read some of the discussions he was a part of.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #16 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Tom had a lot to say that didn't find its way into the mainstream press or for that matter the typical website. Tom wrote extensively in USENET, which after Google took it over became Google Groups. Head on over there and do a search under his last name to read some of the discussions he was a part of.
The very first hit I got there was somebody calling him "Saddam Nousaine" A badge of honor though, considering some of the participants and the nature of Usenet in general.

I see references to the Zipser affair too. Verrrry interesting!
post #17 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quite a cast of characters there. Here's another link...classic Nousaine.

http://www.vxm.com/21R.64.html

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #18 of 31 Old 06-21-2014, 05:32 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow. . Another life cut too short. Rest in peace Tom.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #19 of 31 Old 06-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
So sad to hear about this today. He actually personally replied to some of my subwoofer questions years ago on the S&V forum. It was once a very lively place. HSU even named one of their subs after him, calling it the "TN" model cylinder. I do however take serious issue with Brent Butterworth's comments here: http://stereos.about.com/od/introduc...-1945-2014.htm

where he has the audacity to say that Tom had the "guts to go against popularly held beliefs". Shouldn't he have been more forthright and said "Audiophile held beliefs"? Butterworth is worth less than the syrup after which he's named.
kbarnes701 and andyc56 like this.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #20 of 31 Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Perhaps Mrs. Butterworth has something to say about that!

post #21 of 31 Old 06-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
...where he has the audacity to say that Tom had the "guts to go against popularly held beliefs". Shouldn't he have been more forthright and said "Audiophile held beliefs"? Butterworth is worth less than the syrup after which he's named.
How about "erroneously held beliefs pushed by the audio industry and their toadies in the press"? Not mentioning any names of course.
post #22 of 31 Old 06-22-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
So sad to hear about this today. He actually personally replied to some of my subwoofer questions years ago on the S&V forum. It was once a very lively place. HSU even named one of their subs after him, calling it the "TN" model cylinder. I do however take serious issue with Brent Butterworth's comments here: http://stereos.about.com/od/introduc...-1945-2014.htm

where he has the audacity to say that Tom had the "guts to go against popularly held beliefs". Shouldn't he have been more forthright and said "Audiophile held beliefs"? Butterworth is worth less than the syrup after which he's named.
I think you misunderstood Brent's intent there, but in any case judging a man by a single sentence, well.............. I think a different thread would be more suitable for that venom.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP Tom.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #23 of 31 Old 06-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm reading through a bunch of Tom's writings as I type. No disrespect to Mr. Butterworth who's intent I may have indeed misunderstood. I just found some of his comment to be strangely out of place in a eulogy. But Mr. Nousaine did use science and not just his ears and ad copy to verify his beliefs. Despite my subscription to Stereophile I'll go with the Toms over the Brents any day. RIP Tom Nousaine.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)

Last edited by GLBright; 06-22-2014 at 02:42 AM.
post #24 of 31 Old 06-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just found some of his comment to be strangely out of place in a eulogy.
You're not the only one, and it wasn't just one sentence either. About one-quarter to one-third of the entire "eulogy" was entirely inappropriate from my POV. But I'm old-fashioned that way.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I am very sad to hear this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #26 of 31 Old 08-06-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I was sorry to have learned recently that Tom Nousaine had passed away in June. I started reading his reviews in Mobile Entertainment and Car Stereo Review when I was in the car audio business. I continued to read his articles in Sound&Vision and often used them as a resource when posting on this forum. Nobody knew how to evaluate subwoofers better then Tom did and I will continue to miss his reviews.

RIP

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 08-06-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typo
post #27 of 31 Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
SAD NEWS. I always enjoyed his reviews and writing...

http://www.nousaine.com/nousaine_tech_articles.html

List of his works btw...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #28 of 31 Old 08-11-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if you didn't like my comments, but here's why I wrote them

I noticed here that some took exception to my description of Tom Nousaine in my obit on About.com Stereos. I could have written an obit saying what a wonderful guy Tom was, and how right he was about everything, but I think that would be an insult to Tom's memory -- and to the intelligence of the people who have known and worked with both of us.

I wrote that obit and posted it as quickly as I could because I wanted to get something in about Tom before a writer from one of the audiophile publications got a chance to trash him. He deserved a fair assessment and praise for the great deal that he accomplished and that's what I tried to give him. Several people who knew him and worked with him e-mailed me to thank me for the article and attest to its accuracy.

Anybody who sees Tom and I as representing opposing viewpoints isn't paying attention. No one has done more to promote blind testing of audio products in reviews than I have. Not even close. I've also invested tens of thousands of dollars and a few thousand hours of my time (poorly compensated if at all) in the effort to bring measurements into audio reviews.

If you want a response from me, put your real name in. I don't respect those who trash others from the safe cover of an alias.
post #29 of 31 Old 08-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Brent,

Just read your obit. I can find nothing wrong with it. You wrote an honest and honoring obit, and I believe a man like Tom would appreciate said honesty. Nothing offended me, as it did others. Although, I can see how they might have been offended or taken back. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as you know.

I hope there is a writer who can take Tom's place in the audio world. His honest, and thorough reviews and opinions will be missed. He dispelled a lot of high-end bs, and was often villified for it. I learned a lot from his articles. He will be missed.

HT Denon 3808ci | Klipsch KLF 20s | Klipsch KLF C7 | Klipsch KLF 10s | Klipsch KG 1.2s | THT | Bash 300S | Oppo 103 | Panamax 5300PM | Panasonic 55VT60 | PS4 |
Family Pioneer SP-SB23W | PS3 | Pioneer Elite Pro 111
post #30 of 31 Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Some people aren't fans of fake "apologies" either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentbutterworth View Post
I noticed here that some took exception to my description of Tom Nousaine in my obit on About.com Stereos. I could have written an obit saying what a wonderful guy Tom was, and how right he was about everything, but I think that would be an insult to Tom's memory -- and to the intelligence of the people who have known and worked with both of us.
I'll point you to the RationalWiki article on the False dilemma fallacy. Short take is below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalWiki
A false dilemma, or false dichotomy, is a logical fallacy which involves presenting two opposing views, options or outcomes in such a way that they seem to be the only possibilities: that is, if one is true, the other must be false, or, more typically, if you do not accept one then the other must be accepted. The reality in most cases is that there are many in-between or other alternative options, not just two mutually exclusive ones.
Quote:
I wrote that obit and posted it as quickly as I could because I wanted to get something in about Tom before a writer from one of the audiophile publications got a chance to trash him. He deserved a fair assessment and praise for the great deal that he accomplished and that's what I tried to give him.
This doesn't seem to have actually happened. In particular, the Sound & Vision obit was, I think, quite well done. At any rate, what's important is the content of the article. The rest is a side issue.

Quote:
Several people who knew him and worked with him e-mailed me to thank me for the article and attest to its accuracy.
There's an amusing song about this phenomenon. It's called "The Lurkers Support Me in Email".

Quote:
Anybody who sees Tom and I as representing opposing viewpoints isn't paying attention.
In my case, what I was paying attention to was your own words, to wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Butterworth
But audiophiles -- i.e., enthusiasts of traditional, two-channel stereo systems -- vilified him, and not without reason. If you read through many of his old articles, it's easy to get the impression he had it in for them. It often seemed to me that whenever a prevailing idea about audio emerged in audiophile publications such as The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, Tom would concoct a blind listening test with the intent of disproving it. Audiophiles think speaker stands make a difference? Tom "proved them wrong."
Putting "proved them wrong" in scare quotes tells me you do not believe he did so. The viewpoint expressed in that quote is that of opposition to Tom's view. Nothing wrong with that at all, but to claim you had substantively similar viewpoints is disingenuous. Anyone objecting to Tom's skepticism of The Absolute Sound and Stereophile is not of the same view as he.

Quote:
No one has done more to promote blind testing of audio products in reviews than I have. Not even close.
I can only laugh at that. I might change my mind if you could provide some evidence that there's even a shred of truth to that claim.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page