klipsch sw15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By basshead81
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
klipsch sw15

Great low end but gets lost at high volume, drowned out by the 4 mains in a strictly music setup in a garage.

Can I upgrade the built in amp on sub for more headroom?
jpcamaro70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Likely not...the driver/cab combo probably will not support more power. Upgrading the sub itself will be in order. What is your budget/room size/intended use?

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It's a garage approx 25x15. But I listen to it with the garage door open.

I love the sub, its super low but made a mistake considering the volume I like to listen. I listen to all rock/new metal. Like I said, the quality is great but just not powerful enough to keep up with the mains.

I'd need something from the current klipsch line as I get it close to factory cost. This one will be tough though as I used him for the sw15 and he saved me a fortune.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Likely not...the driver/cab combo probably will not support more power. Upgrading the sub itself will be in order. What is your budget/room size/intended use?
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It doesn't need to look good, it could have a plywood finish for all I care. I just need power.

Upon looking at the website it's either the sw 115 which is listed under 1k but the next best is thousands.

Last edited by jpcamaro70; 06-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 5,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
I believe we had this conversation some time ago before you bought the sw115. Sell it buy a PSA XV15se, HSU VTF-15, Rythmik FV15HP, or go DIY and maximize performance vs Price.

Last edited by basshead81; 06-15-2014 at 06:35 PM.
basshead81 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post
just not powerful enough to keep up with the mains.

I'd need something from the current klipsch line as I get it close to factory cost. This one will be tough though as I used him for the sw15 and he saved me a fortune.
A great deal on a poor performing product leaves you with..... a poor performing product....get a good ID sub.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes we did, and I didn't take the advice offered due to the incredible discount I got. We live we learn. I'm not sure if it was you so adamantly against the sub I got, but if so you were right. This sub would be killer for movies but not music the way I play it.

I will listen this time, I'm sure I can get good money for this sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I believe we had this conversation some time ago before you bought the sw115. Sell it buy a PSA XV15se, HSU VTF-15, Rythmik FV15HP, or go DIY and maximize performance vs Price.
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 5,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Actually it was Breaveheart that was persistent in telling you to stay away from it, but I just agreed with him early in your sw-115 vs sw-112 thread.
basshead81 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Since it sounds as though volume is one of your main priorities what about a PA subwoofer instead? Doubtful your mains will overpower one of those.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 65
an SW15 and an SW115 are two very different models

Which is it OP?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post
It's a garage approx 25x15. But I listen to it with the garage door open.

I love the sub, its super low but made a mistake considering the volume I like to listen. I listen to all rock/new metal. Like I said, the quality is great but just not powerful enough to keep up with the mains.

I'd need something from the current klipsch line as I get it close to factory cost. This one will be tough though as I used him for the sw15 and he saved me a fortune.
Huh? I've never heard anyone who opens their garage door and plays loud music. Hopefully you live about a mile from your nearest neighbor! An open garage is like a bandshell. An open garage isn't conducive for too many subwoofers, so I feel sorry for your poor Klipsch. It never stood a chance. And if your garage doesn't have a lowered ceiling, I'm not sure you'll be happy with many subs.
dsrussell is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 5,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
an sw15 and an sw115 are two very different models

which is it op?
sw115
jpcamaro70 likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm always out front doing yard work or working on toys (tractor, splitter, saws, etc) so i leave the door open and I like it loud and powerful.

It's funny you mentioned that though as some lady down the street called the cops the other day and complained my music was too loud, but this was only 6pm, the cop just said there is nothing he can do so have fun. I don't do it in the morning or after it gets dark, I am somewhat respectful of my neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Huh? I've never heard anyone who opens their garage door and plays loud music. Hopefully you live about a mile from your nearest neighbor! An open garage is like a bandshell. An open garage isn't conducive for too many subwoofers, so I feel sorry for your poor Klipsch. It never stood a chance. And if your garage doesn't have a lowered ceiling, I'm not sure you'll be happy with many subs.

My Gear
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
an SW15 and an SW115 are two very different models

Which is it OP?
Like basshead said it's a sw-115. I wrote the original post on my phone.

My Gear
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jpcamaro70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Since it sounds as though volume is one of your main priorities what about a PA subwoofer instead? Doubtful your mains will overpower one of those.
Will these hook right up to a denon receiver? Most review i see have these kind of subs with a mixer.

My Gear
jpcamaro70 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 2,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I'd go with a dual opposed sealed sub if you have the budget for it...for gobs of output on music.

Try the PSA XS30se
Reaction Audio PS 215X
Reaction Audio BPS215

These are all dual opposed 15" driver subs and have very high output for music compared to most subs.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

bear123 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcamaro70 View Post
Will these hook right up to a denon receiver? Most review i see have these kind of subs with a mixer.
They predominately have XLR inputs, because that's more common in professional audio, but RCA/XLR adapters abound so you should be able to hook up a powered PA sub to a consumer receiver with little difficulty.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off