Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Starting theater 2.0, which SVS sub(s)?

We are moving, the current theater was a casulty in negotiations, but not unexpected. While I don't look forward to leaving all that hard work to someone else, it does mean I get to rebuild and do things a little differently the second go around. It also means I get new gear!

I'm waiting until September for all the new AVRs and projectors. I know I'm sticking with an Axiom M60 based 7.1(2) setup (maybe M80's) but I'm thinking about an SVS sub instead of the EP500 I used to have. Not that I wasn't happy with the EP500 (it would wake the kids up two floors away), but from trolling around on various forums, it seems I can get more bang for the buck. Plus why not try a different flavor?

I think I've settled in on SVS (or maybe HSU) for the next sub. The room is a rectangular 12x18x8 room, one door on the side, but otherwise totally enclosed. I get to make this a true theater room, we had more of a family/media room before. No WAF, I've got the green light for whatever I want to do (within budget, gotta feed the kids).

For about the same money as a new EP500 (which is now sealed, and I can't find ANY information about it. Axiom still has all the old EP500 info up) I could get an SB13-Ultra or two PB2000s. I emailed SVS and they said two PB1000s or one PB2000 for the room. He seemed to think the SB ultra was too much sub for the room (WTF? Too much sub?) and that I would never really tap into it's capabilities.

On the flip side, I had a really bad null/standing wave/whatever at the main seating position of my old room, big drop right at 60hz which hurt music listening. Still got great low end, shake the earth LFE for movies, but music always lacked that punch that you'd expect from a $1300 sub. With that experience, I lean towards two subs. The room was square with open areas in the back. This room should be more acoustic friendly, plus I can add traps and treatments.

So how would you spend my ~$1500? Two PB2000's or one SB Ultra? Mostly movies, not much music, but I want good punch when I do listen to music. I know two is probably better than one, the ultra just seems to get such good press.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 806
As per your own experience, a single sub is just not going to give you a nice even FR, no matter the cost. Who cares if the Ultra has 6 dB more output than a PB2000 if you have a 10-15 dB null? Dual PB2000 all day instead of one ultra if SVS is the only company you want to consider. If you are open to other companies, Hsu's dual VTF15 would be a solid choice, although $500 over budget, and PSA's dual XV15 would be a large bump in output for $200 more than the SVS combo. Those three options would be solid choices to consider. I don't think you can beat the PB2000 without going to one of the two subs I just mentioned, or up in price from there.

P.S. I saw you were comparing two PB2000's to one SB13....the duals would destroy the SB in output for movies...I was stating they would be better than one PB13 Ultra for the improved FR.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 1708
Dual PB2000's because dual subs do a better job smoothing the response.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54
... The room is a rectangular 12x18x8 room, one door on the side, but otherwise totally enclosed. ...

So how would you spend my ~$1500? Two PB2000's or one SB Ultra? Mostly movies, not much music, but I want good punch when I do listen to music.
12' x 18' x 8' = 1,728 cu.ft. Not a very large room. +1 to the PB-2000s.

FWIW, some non-SVS options include:
- dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX (currently on sale for $599/ea., shipped);
- HSU VTF-3 MK4 DualDrive ($1,319 + $198 shipping); and
- dual Rythmik LV12R ($599/ea., shipped).

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 06-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I would look at dual Reaction BPS 215s along with those. If you can pull the trigger right now, the BPS215s can be had for $1400 shipped, but that sale only lasts until midnight tonight. If not that, than a pair of PB2000s or VTF3s.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I would look at dual Reaction BPS 215s along with those. If you can pull the trigger right now, the BPS215s can be had for $1400 shipped, but that sale only lasts until midnight tonight. If not that, than a pair of PB2000s or VTF3s.
thanks for the input. not 100% sold on SVS yet, but it served for my current comparison.

We're a month away from moving. The last thing I need to do is buy something and then have to move it, although I'm tempted to A/B compare the new subs to my current EP500.

I'm hoping I can put off buying stuff until I can get the room setup. the current owner put up drywall and installed the carpet. There are boxes for all the speakers, but I don't like where they put the surrounds, there's no wiring for a PJ, I'm going to have to demo a bit and rebuild to get what I want. Plus I don't know what insulation (if any) is behind said drywall. Hate to tear up a finished room... but that's off topic.

Thanks for the feedback, dual subs is porbably the way to go. Just drooling a bit over some of the next step up subs. I'll be sure to get an AVR that will EQ them individually if I can.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Your room is smaller than mine and the SB13 would be aboutright in that size room but since it’s a dedicated HT room, go for dual portedsubs. It’s really important to get out that null and you’ll be fighting nullsagain in your new room.

I’d aim for a minimum of two PB2000s, or XV15s, ported forthe deep bass extension, dual to combat the nulls

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page