7.1 w/2 subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
7.1 w/2 subs

Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver? Mainly listen to classical music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver? Mainly listen to classical music.
Sorry, need to add that I'll be using 2 SVS SB-2000 active subs w/bose 601 Series II's.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver?
No problem.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If the subs are different distances from you, you will need to tune the phase individually on the amp panel of each sub. Nothing wrong with that - just an extra step. One way to do this is to use a real time analyzer (REW or RTA) and tune the phase to maximize the volume at the crossover frequency.

By contrast, on a 7.2 receiver, it can usually (but not always) time align the subs automatically, so you can leave the sub phase set to 0.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Even if the distance is not the same, they may function better with both sub's phase control at 0. The avr may use an average distance of the the two sub's in it DSP calculations. Also the physical and acoustic distance are not necessarily the same thing.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
If the subs are different distances from you, you will need to tune the phase individually on the amp panel of each sub. Nothing wrong with that - just an extra step. One way to do this is to use a real time analyzer (REW or RTA) and tune the phase to maximize the volume at the crossover frequency.

By contrast, on a 7.2 receiver, it can usually (but not always) time align the subs automatically, so you can leave the sub phase set to 0.
Or, you could just use and SPL meter (or an SPL meter app on your phone) and adjust phase for highest SPL at the MLP.

Not all people have the equipment for RTA.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Many so-called x.2 AVRs do not offer much more capability (if any) than can be accomplished with a Y-splitter, anyway. There ARE some, though, that DO offer more capabilities in regards to individually adjusting 2 separate subwoofers.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Or, you could just use and SPL meter (or an SPL meter app on your phone) and adjust phase for highest SPL at the MLP.

Not all people have the equipment for RTA.
There ya go. Just play a test tone at the crossover frequency, do what he said.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page