7.1 w/2 subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
prestonrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
7.1 w/2 subs

Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver? Mainly listen to classical music.
prestonrich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
prestonrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver? Mainly listen to classical music.
Sorry, need to add that I'll be using 2 SVS SB-2000 active subs w/bose 601 Series II's.
prestonrich is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver?
No problem.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
If the subs are different distances from you, you will need to tune the phase individually on the amp panel of each sub. Nothing wrong with that - just an extra step. One way to do this is to use a real time analyzer (REW or RTA) and tune the phase to maximize the volume at the crossover frequency.

By contrast, on a 7.2 receiver, it can usually (but not always) time align the subs automatically, so you can leave the sub phase set to 0.
rcohen is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Even if the distance is not the same, they may function better with both sub's phase control at 0. The avr may use an average distance of the the two sub's in it DSP calculations. Also the physical and acoustic distance are not necessarily the same thing.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
derrickdj1 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
If the subs are different distances from you, you will need to tune the phase individually on the amp panel of each sub. Nothing wrong with that - just an extra step. One way to do this is to use a real time analyzer (REW or RTA) and tune the phase to maximize the volume at the crossover frequency.

By contrast, on a 7.2 receiver, it can usually (but not always) time align the subs automatically, so you can leave the sub phase set to 0.
Or, you could just use and SPL meter (or an SPL meter app on your phone) and adjust phase for highest SPL at the MLP.

Not all people have the equipment for RTA.
Alan P is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CO
Posts: 16,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
Would there be a material loss in music enjoyment by running 2 subs on the mains of a 2.1 receiver using a "Y" connector (I.e., Emotiva Fusion 8100) instead of moving to a different 7.2/5.2 receiver? Mainly listen to classical music.
Many so-called x.2 AVRs do not offer much more capability (if any) than can be accomplished with a Y-splitter, anyway. There ARE some, though, that DO offer more capabilities in regards to individually adjusting 2 separate subwoofers.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Or, you could just use and SPL meter (or an SPL meter app on your phone) and adjust phase for highest SPL at the MLP.

Not all people have the equipment for RTA.
There ya go. Just play a test tone at the crossover frequency, do what he said.
rcohen is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off