post #31 of 37 Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
The amplifier on the Rythmik is going to have more bells and whistles, so this will give you more flexibility in dialing in the sound exactly the way you like it.
I don't understand this statement. From what I can see from the two amp specs, the SVS Sledge amp has more control features. Where some may prefer the simplicity of the analog controls of the Rythmik, the SVS has more to offer in the signal/sound shaping arena. JM2C.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post
I don't understand this statement. From what I can see from the two amp specs, the SVS Sledge amp has more control features. Where some may prefer the simplicity of the analog controls of the Rythmik, the SVS has more to offer in the signal/sound shaping arena. JM2C.
How do you figure the analog controls of the rythmik make it simple? I'm intrigued please educate me on how the SVS offers more flexibility than the Rythmik.
post #33 of 37 Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
How do you figure the analog controls of the rythmik make it simple? I'm intrigued please educate me on how the SVS offers more flexibility than the Rythmik.
These are the Sledge signal shaping controls:
Fully adjustable (frequency and slope) digital low pass filter.
Fully adjustable (frequency and slope) digital high pass filter.
Dual digital PEQs with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values.
Digital room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope.
Digital delay (0-10 ms) on line level outputs to time-align speakers and subwoofer in 2-channel systems.
Digital phase control with 15 degree increments.

Compare these to the Rythmik (not a simple cut/paste job) you see here.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers_controls.html

When I say simplicity I mean it is easier to adjust analog controls, especially in real time, than it is to set digital controls where you have to navigate menus.

My thoughts are that MOST people will set all these controls to either disabled or to a value that will get them out of the signal path. SVS used to offer the analog PEQ controls and most users set them off.

Randy

Last edited by ransac; 06-20-2014 at 08:58 PM.
post #34 of 37 Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post
These are the Sledge signal shaping controls:
Fully adjustable (frequency and slope) digital low pass filter.
Fully adjustable (frequency and slope) digital high pass filter.
Dual digital PEQs with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values.
Digital room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope.
Digital delay (0-10 ms) on line level outputs to time-align speakers and subwoofer in 2-channel systems.
Digital phase control with 15 degree increments.

Compare these to the Rythmik (not a simple cut/paste job) you see here.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifiers_controls.html

When I say simplicity I mean it is easier to adjust analog controls, especially in real time, than it is to set digital controls where you have to navigate menus.

My thoughts are that MOST people will set all these controls to either disabled or to a value that will get them out of the signal path. SVS used to offer the analog PEQ controls and most users set them off.
SVS has the upper hand in warranty and trial period but the ultra gets bested by the F15HP in output and is at best on par in sound quality with the Rythmik. Dollar for dollar the Rythmik offers more bang for the buck. This doesn't mean SVS does not make superb products it's well known they do. I've seen reviews that have said the PEQ options on the SVS digital knob can be a bit of a PITA to adjust.
post #35 of 37 Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Since you mentioned music, I would recommend the Rythmik.
post #36 of 37 Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It does seem like people tend to prefer the Rythmik for music. I'll do a little more research, and contact each company for more information. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
post #37 of 37 Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanzachary View Post
So, having narrowed down essentially all of my other equipment, I thought that I knew what I wanted in terms of subs. Now I've found two other contenders, and want to know some opinions. Here's what I've decided on for the remainder:

My equipment:
Focal Aria 936 floorstanding speakers
Focal Aria 906 bookshelf speakers
Focal Aria CC900 centre-channel speaker
Transparent MusicLink/Wave cable
Panasonic 55" VT50
2x Emotiva XPA-1 (gen 2)s for the 2-channel
1x Emotiva XPA-3 (gen 2) for the surround
Emotiva XMC-1 (gen 2) (whenever it is released)
Built music server running Linux with MPD controlled by MPDroid

Room dimensions:
~130 cubic metres (5.8m l X 4.25m w X 5.2m h)
~4500 cubic feet (19' l X 14' w X 17' h)
Opens up to a loft atop

Sub options:
REL T-9
SVS SB13-Ultra
Rythmik Audio F15HP

I'm thinking that I will probably end up getting two of any of those options, due to the sheer size of the room.

I'm about 90-95% music, with 5-10% film, so the clear emphasis is on music. I listen to everything from classical, to choirs, to hardcore/metal, to dubstep and dance. I do like bass that is controlled, but can also open up and make you feel like you're at a rock concert when you want it to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help and opinions.
Hi Nathan. Firstly, both the SVS SB13-Ultra ($3000/pair) and Rythmik F15HP ($2400/pair) are classy subwoofers and you would probably be happy with a pair of either of them.

We had a stab at your likely power needs in the other thread. I know it's tough to do, but I would encourage you to resist the siren call of those beautiful big 1kW monoblocks! (For now anyway.) In your situation with your moderately large open space, there's better value in scaling back the amplification expediture at least as far as the Emotiva XPA-5 ($1000) or indeed to a flagship AVR (but I understand you're set on an XMC-1). You could then re-allocate the $2000 difference to even higher performing dual subs, or quads of the above if placement is not an issue.

Given your clear music priority, my top two candidates are the JTR Captivator S1 ($4800/pair + shipping) and the Seaton Sound SubMersive HP+ ($5300/pair + shipping).

In Archaea's Kansas City Blind Subwoofer Shootout 2012 (results in post 2) the Cap S1 was scored 1st on movies and 2nd on music by the assembled bass fiends. The SubMersive reversed the results and scored 1st on music and 2nd on movies. Very close... both of these are benchmark sealed subs. The Cap S1 is available in custom veneers which brings the price and aesthetics closer to that of the SubMersive.

Good luck with your deliberations Nathan!

Last edited by GIEGAR; 06-24-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Subscribed
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page