AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Recommend a sub to go with Klipsch RF-7 II and... (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1574930-recommend-sub-go-klipsch-rf-7-ii.html)

LostBoyNZ 06-21-2014 05:48 PM

Recommend a sub to go with Klipsch RF-7 II and...
 
I'm upgrading my home theatre speakers to these:

Klipsch RF-7 II Front
Klipsch RC-64 II Center
Klipsch RS-62 II Surrounds

I'll generally just use the set for home theatre, and very rarely for any music. I've got the Pioneer VSX-LX70 amp ( http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/ar...LX70/page.html ).

I'm still looking into the subwoofer however. I've currently got the Paradigm PDR-12 (12", 110W RMS, 330W peak) and wonder if anyone could recommend a good sub to go with the new speakers?

My budget would be somewhere between $400 and $1000, and ideally would like to stick to a 12" or smaller. I intend one day on having my own home theatre room, so I can't really give any room dimensions sorry, but it wouldn't be massive (6 seats maybe). I like to listen at high volumes for the occasional big movie once every few weeks, but a lot of the time it'll be pretty standard volume. Music isn't really something they'd be used for.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

shadyJ 06-21-2014 06:18 PM

Huge speakers and a small sub do not make any sense. Chances are your RF7 could do bass more authoritatively than any small subwoofer. A much better idea would have been to get a couple good subs and some bookshelf speakers fronts. Probably the best you can do in your range is a SVS SB2000, but I don't think it would even be better than your RF-7s. You might think about getting a SVS PB2000 and crossing it over at a very low point, becuase it is unlikely to outperform your RF-7s with respect to mid and upper bass.

eljaycanuck 06-21-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostBoyNZ
... I'll generally just use the set for home theatre, and very rarely for any music. ...

I'm still looking into the subwoofer however. ...

My budget would be somewhere between $400 and $1000, and ideally would like to stick to a 12" or smaller. I intend one day on having my own home theatre room, so I can't really give any room dimensions sorry, but it wouldn't be massive (6 seats maybe). I like to listen at high volumes for the occasional big movie once every few weeks, but a lot of the time it'll be pretty standard volume. Music isn't really something they'd be used for.

Get as good a sub as you can now and you won't be in a hurry to upgrade it later. If space isn't an issue, don't limit yourself to a 12" sub - there's no need to.

IMO, options include:
- SVS PB-2000 ($799, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days)
- PSA XV15se ($899, shipped)
- HSU VTF-15H (currently on sale for $839 + $143 shipping = $982, shipped)

LostBoyNZ 06-21-2014 06:50 PM

Ah that's very interesting to know! Apologies, I'm really quite new to all this.

The RF-7 II goes down to 30Hz ± 3dB, and so I thought I'd need something to go much lower, like below 20Hz. In particular for movies? But do you mean smaller subs, while they go lower than the RF-7 II's they don't do it very well? Sorry, I'm not too sure what exactly the difference is there.

I'll have a look into the SVS SB2000 too, and as you say if I get that I can cut it off where the RF-7 II's take over better.

Thanks!

LostBoyNZ 06-21-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljaycanuck (Post 25158034)
Get as good a sub as you can now and you won't be in a hurry to upgrade it later. If space isn't an issue, don't limit yourself to a 12" sub - there's no need to.

IMO, options include:
- SVS PB-2000 ($799, shipped, with free return shipping within 45 days)
- PSA XV15se ($899, shipped)
- HSU VTF-15H (currently on sale for $839 + $143 shipping = $982, shipped)

The PSA XV15se looks very interesting too! I like the idea of not being in a hurry to upgrade it later too, I'd prefer to buy once and get it right for many, many years.

bear123 06-21-2014 07:06 PM

Don't get a small, cheap sealed sub for movies, you will be disappointed.

1) Rythmik FV15HP B stock $1250ish
2)PSA XV15se $899
3)Hsu VTF15 $982 on sale as indicated.

Those would be the top three imo near $1k

Bill Fitzmaurice 06-21-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadyJ (Post 25157474)
Huge speakers and a small sub do not make any sense.

+1. Speaker size and power requirements go up as frequency goes down. If you want to keep up with the four tens you have the minimum you'd get away with is two fifteen loaded ported subs. Less than that isn't worth bothering with.

LostBoyNZ 06-21-2014 07:25 PM

Interesting to see more recommendations :)

Living in New Zealand it's difficult to listen to most subwoofers. So I have to go off what people recommend.

Dual 15" ported subs helps point me in the direction though. Other than that, when comparing subs without listening, what should I pay attention to?

Thanks!

derrickdj1 06-22-2014 11:59 AM

Two PSA XV 15's is a good option. I have the RF 7's and ran them as small with a 15 in. sub and a SVS 12 in. cylinder sub and that was pretty good. Two 15 in. subs would have been better for movies. I used the system mainly for music so the real low end stuff was not a priority.

jbrown15 06-22-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostBoyNZ (Post 25158650)
Interesting to see more recommendations :)

Living in New Zealand it's difficult to listen to most subwoofers. So I have to go off what people recommend.

Dual 15" ported subs helps point me in the direction though. Other than that, when comparing subs without listening, what should I pay attention to?

Thanks!

If you're interested you can guy the PSA XV15's from http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs...-deep-hz-audio
They're located in Australia but sell to New Zealand too.

LostBoyNZ 06-22-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrickdj1 (Post 25169890)
Two PSA XV 15's is a good option. I have the RF 7's and ran them as small with a 15 in. sub and a SVS 12 in. cylinder sub and that was pretty good. Two 15 in. subs would have been better for movies. I used the system mainly for music so the real low end stuff was not a priority.

I think I'll go with that, the two PSA XV 15's :)

When you say you ran the RF 7's as small, did you find that was better than setting a lower cut off frequency on the subs?

Thanks!

LostBoyNZ 06-22-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown15 (Post 25170258)
If you're interested you can guy the PSA XV15's from http://www.powersoundaudio.com/blogs...-deep-hz-audio
They're located in Australia but sell to New Zealand too.

Ah, interesting to see! I just checked out their prices now, but even with shipping from the states (sea shipping, but there's no rush) it's much cheaper ordering them directly from the states. A bit crazy, but I'm kinda used to expecting that living down here.

Kini62 06-22-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear123 (Post 25158434)
Don't get a small, cheap sealed sub for movies, you will be disappointed.

1) Rythmik FV15HP B stock $1250ish
2)PSA XV15se $899
3)Hsu VTF15 $982 on sale as indicated.

Those would be the top three imo near $1k

The SVS pc12+ outlet at $1049 should also be included in that list.

derrickdj1 06-22-2014 10:36 PM

I like running the RF 7's with the small setting in the AVR. They are like monster satellites speakers. I like the subs doing what they do best, play the low bass for music and movies. Just turn the sub xo all the way up and set the xo in the avr between 50-100 depending on your system and room.

LostBoyNZ 06-22-2014 11:42 PM

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go for the dual PSA XV15's.

This whole set will be a big upgrade over my old Wharfedale Atlantic AT-400 speakers and such. Looking forward to giving them a go. I'm not sure how long sea shipments take, but I assume about a two months or so.

I'll try setting them with the RF 7's as you've described :) Cheers!

Vacation 06-25-2014 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice (Post 25158570)
+1. Speaker size and power requirements go up as frequency goes down. If you want to keep up with the four tens you have the minimum you'd get away with is two fifteen loaded ported subs. Less than that isn't worth bothering with.

How do you determine the subwoofer requirement based on the main speakers? In this case, two 15" subs are needed to keep up with two speakers that each have two 10" woofers. What would be the requirement if instead of two 10" woofers in the mains there were two 6.5" woofers? What if the bookshelf contains only a single woofer instead of two? And does having a center or not having a center or a having a different center from L/R not make a difference in determining subs, as in this case the RC-64 II is a different configuration from the RF-7 II?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.