Subwoofer placement and settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subwoofer placement and settings

I have a rather old subwoofer (JBL PSW-D115). Here is a picture of the back panel.

Right now I have the sub pre-out of the receiver going to the direct line in L on the subwoofer. Where do you guys think it should be hooked up?

Also, this sub is placed behind my TV in a corner... Pic for reference Do you think the sub should be facing into the corner? or away from the corner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriusjt2 View Post
I have a rather old subwoofer (JBL PSW-D115). Here is a picture of the back panel.

Right now I have the sub pre-out of the receiver going to the direct line in L on the subwoofer. Where do you guys think it should be hooked up?

Also, this sub is placed behind my TV in a corner... Pic for reference Do you think the sub should be facing into the corner? or away from the corner?
1) Use the "direct out" RCA jack. This will bypass the crossover and gain controls on the sub. If you need these controls active for some reason the L input is fine.

2) Woofer orientation usually doesn't make a huge difference but I would start with the woofer facing "into" the corner...leaving maybe 3-4 inches of spacing.

btw, the D115 was one of the best performing(for the cost) "big name" subwoofers when it was introduced in the early 2000s(?).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Old 06-22-2014, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

So if I hook up the sub to the Direct Out, the receiver controls all of the high & low pass settings? I have a pile of poop receiver that I cannot control sub EQ. I might just leave it hooked up as it is. I am looking for a new receiver though, so once I purchase one I will consider changing the hook-up. Thanks for your help
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

I hooked up the sub to the Direct Out RCA on the sub and the SUB pre-out on the receiver (DenonX1000). During Auddessy setup, it told me that the sub was hooked up incorrectly and would not play test tones from the sub. What gives?
Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 426
You need to go from the AVR sub pre-out to the line in on the sub, not out.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

So anyone of the L-C-R RCA direct line inputs will work? Also, does this bypass the high and low pass crossovers?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 426
OK, I was wrong and Tom was correct (as usual )...according to this guide, you should be using the "Direct" connector.

Where did you have the subs level control set during calibration? Stupid question, but did you have the sub powered on?