3Likes
  • 2 Post By JT78681
  • 1 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice

post #1 of 17 Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Desiring to build I-baffle system, could use some input.

Hello

I'm new hear as a member, but know my way around the forum.

I am planning on building a an infinite baffle speaker system by year end, and believe that it's prudent to get some input from you all, before hand.

I'm leaning towards a 3-way, MTW, active setup, using a 1' tweeter, 6.5" or 8" mid-bass and 18" subwoofer.

I need a subwoofer with an extremely large X-max/mech with a Qtc between .5-.8 in the 400-watt range. budget range 75-150.00 max.

I also wouldn't mind some amplifier suggestions.

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks

dB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dB Cookster View Post
but know my way around the forum.
Obviously not: you're asking in the wrong forum. Try DIY Speakers and Subs.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
Obviously not: you're asking in the wrong forum. Try DIY Speakers and Subs.

Perhaps if you weren't in such a rush to be a smarty pants, you would have correctly read my post. I am firstly, looking for some information about speakers, particularly subwoofers and second, as a side bar amplifiers, to drive said speakers. I didn't ask for advice about how to design or construct one.

So since my primary questions have to do with Subwoofer and other transducers, the title of this forum being: Subwoofers, Bass and Transducers is decidedly the best of the options available to me.

So now that we've got that straightened out, would you mind demonstrating more of superior intellect; but this time in context?

Last edited by dB Cookster; 06-23-2014 at 07:22 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am planning on building a an infinite baffle speaker system by year end, and believe that it's prudent to get some input from you all, before hand.
Quote:
Perhaps if you weren't in such a rush to be a smarty pants, you would have correctly read my post. I am firstly, looking for some information about speakers, particularly subwoofers and second, as a side bar amplifiers, to drive said speakers. I didn't ask for advice about how to design or construct one.

So since my primary questions have to do with Subwoofer and other transducers, the title of this forum being: Subwoofers, Bass and Transducers is decidedly the best of the options available to me.
I did read you post.

Since you did actually ask about speaker components because you are intending to build one, I sent you to the correct place where you may get some answers to that question. In this forum, almost all the users are people who buy manufactured speakers and have far less knowledge in general about drivers.

As for amps, most of us who build our own subs use pro amps. There are a number of manufacturers, so simply choose the one that has the power you require and fits within your budget. If you had bothered to check out the DIY section you would have noticed a sticky thread with actual measurements of a number. Behringer is a popular choice with the inuke and EP lines around these parts, but I personally use a number of Yamaha, Quest and Samson amps for my subs.

I personally don't know of any drivers with your specs, especially in your price range.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did read you post.

Since you did actually ask about speaker components because you are intending to build one, I sent you to the correct place where you may get some answers to that question. In this forum, almost all the users are people who buy manufactured speakers and have far less knowledge in general about drivers.

As for amps, most of us who build our own subs use pro amps. There are a number of manufacturers, so simply choose the one that has the power you require and fits within your budget. If you had bothered to check out the DIY section you would have noticed a sticky thread with actual measurements of a number. Behringer is a popular choice with the inuke and EP lines around these parts, but I personally use a number of Yamaha, Quest and Samson amps for my subs.

I personally don't know of any drivers with your specs, especially in your price range.

Thank you for our replies! I will investigate the other forum.

I did check out the sticky that you mentioned; however, I found the list to be rather narrow and the measurements not to standards that I can personally accept as useful, for my level of applications. So I posted my additional, but lessor question, seeking additional insight, etc. I thank you again, for yours.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
the measurements not to standards that I can personally accept as useful, for my level of applications.
In what regard?
post #7 of 17 Old 06-24-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dB Cookster
the measurements not to standards that I can personally accept as useful, for my level of applications.
Quote:
In what regard?

dB Cookster -

They all appeared to be limited in their investigation and what was reported was not in conformity with any of the testing standards commonly utilized, such as:

AES. Audio Engineering Society (USA/international).
ANSI. American National Standards Institution (USA).
BSI. British Standards Institution (UK).
EIA. Electronic Industries Alliance (USA).
FTC. Federal Trade Commission (USA).
IEC. International Electrotechnical Commission.
IEEE. Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (international).
IET (formerly IEE). Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK).
ISO. International Standards Organization.

The absence of these requirements not withstanding, the measurements are of some insightful value, but not for my intended applications.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They all appeared to be limited in their investigation and what was reported was not in conformity with any of the testing standards commonly utilized, such as:
OK. As I responded with recommendations for sub amps, apart from FR, what else do you need to know for sub amps that was not in the earlier tests?
I am very experienced and qualified in linear design and am curious as to what else you need.
post #9 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OK. As I responded with recommendations for sub amps, apart from FR, what else do you need to know for sub amps that was not in the earlier tests?
I am very experienced and qualified in linear design and am curious as to what else you need.

I'm not sure I understand your response. What is it that you're offering, or are you asking for a commentary on the fundamentals of modern audio measurements, as they relate to amplifiers?

If it's the latter, I recommend that you Google your way through the list of common testing's standards that I provided. If its the former, please elaborate.

Thanks
post #10 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your response. What is it that you're offering, or are you asking for a commentary on the fundamentals of modern audio measurements, as they relate to amplifiers?

If it's the latter, I recommend that you Google your way through the list of common testing's standards that I provided. If its the former, please elaborate.

Thanks
It was a very simple question. What else do you need that wasn't in the previous tests to decide which amplifier you'd use? Having the same tests carried out to some international standard and giving you a fraction different result will tell you 'what' WRT a sub amp? You have yet to state how the tests were inadequate for this use. Be specific.
post #11 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It was a very simple question. What else do you need that wasn't in the previous tests to decide which amplifier you'd use? Having the same tests carried out to some international standard and giving you a fraction different result will tell you 'what' WRT a sub amp? You have yet to state how the tests were inadequate for this use. Be specific.
I was politely suggesting that perhaps it wouldn't behoove you, to look upon various, but widely used testing standards, as to intimate, if you were to do so, that you would turn from your currently tabled curiosities.

My comments are complete, the posted amplifier tests are of no value for my indented applications, because they are incomplete and what disclosures have been shared are not in conformity with any of the testing standard that I deem even somewhat useful, for my intended applications.

I understanding that you see them as fairly complete, or at least sufficient, I have clearly suggest otherwise and directed you to in part, to the source of my perspectives.

Please don't become offended.

Last edited by dB Cookster; 06-25-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was politely suggesting that perhaps it wouldn't behoove you, to look upon various, but widely used testing standards, as to intimate, if you were to do so, that you would turn from your currently table curiosities.

My comments are complete, the posted amplifier tests are of no value for my indented applications, because they are incomplete and what disclosures have been shared are not in conformity with any of the testing standard that I deem even somewhat useful, for my intended applications.

I understanding that you see them as fairly complete, or at least sufficient, I have clearly suggest otherwise and directed you to in part, the source of my perspectives.

Please don't become offended.
The only offense I am taking is from your determination not to answer a direct question. I am familiar with many of the testing standards. Where exactly do the previous tests not tell you enough to choose a sub amp?

Please be specific and give a detailed answer. Feel free to reference some of these testing standards and provide links to describe in what ways the previous tests fail to live up to your standards.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Someone pass me some popcorn...
popalock and Sting82465 like this.

Receiver - Denon 4311
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #14 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only offense I am taking is from your determination not to answer a direct question. I am familiar with many of the testing standards. Where exactly do the previous tests not tell you enough to choose a sub amp?

Please be specific and give a detailed answer. Feel free to reference some of these testing standards and provide links to describe in what ways the previous tests fail to live up to your standards.

I'm sorry, but your asking for an education, to which I have clearly provided direction to.

Use it or don't, but I'm done communicating with you.

Cheers
post #15 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, but your asking for an education, to which I have clearly provided direction to.
No, I asked for a simple explanation why the previous tests were inadequate for you, a very simple thing which you seem unable to comprehend. Or explain.

Quote:
Use it or don't, but I'm done communicating with you.
You gave nothing to use. You simply failed to answer a reasonable and polite question that someone who actually was familiar with the subject would easily be able to explain in short order. However, as you seem determined to avoid answering the question, it is a reasonable assumption to assume that you are unable to answer the question.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
JT78681 likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #17 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I think both of you should explain your points of view again. I still have an hour and a half left at work.

Receiver - Denon 4311
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page