Subwoofer for small room - dual 8" or single 10/12"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subwoofer for small room - dual 8" or single 10/12"?

I have a hysterically well sound proofed, small bathroom in my cabin (around 6x7 feet, 7 feet high ceiling) with a pair of JBL Marine 6x9 speakers mounted in specially made boxes in the ceiling sound proofing them towards the other rooms. This was really the only way to place speakers because of the rooms limitations. And the speakers had to be able to withstand the moist from showering and I have several of those in other ceilings, they sound pretty good! The problem is that they do not give me the deep bass I want (I demand good sound, even in the bathroom in that cabin, probably the only cabin in town with a 11.2 surround system with dual 15" subs!), so I'm going to supplement that with a subwoofer. There are placement problems with that as well, it can not be wider than 8 inches, or 20 cm. Oh, and it has to be white, of course!

Two alternatives:
1. Buying a Q Acoustics 2070Si with dual 8" drivers and a 140 watt built in amp.

2. Build a box myself (I have done several for cars before, so I'm rather a pro with that) and use a 10" or 12" shallow mount sub, like the Alpine SWS-1043D, which I already have.

I don't really care about the higher price on the Q or the work I have to put in on the box, all I care about is that I get "dry", punchy bass. The music is mainly going to be heavy metal when I'm in there, or my son is there, or whatever's topping the lists at the moment when my wife or my daughter are in there. So what would be the best bet on this? Buying the Q and building the box and then keep what's better working is of course an option, but if there is a consesus in what would work best, I could save myself for the extra trouble.

Oh, the car subwoofer would probably take the moist (which is a lot less down by the floor, but still...) better, but replacing a sub every five or ten years to keep the best sound is really not a problem.

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
Your room is small enough that a small sealed auto sound sub will work fine, especially as I doubt you need 20Hz capability.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I would of course like every capacity, as far down as possible. Of course there is a problem with room size, since if I'm not wrong a 20 Hz wave is around 17 meters long. So will I even be able to hear that? The Q Acoustics sub is rated down to 50 Hz. Would there be a lot of music info below that?

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses
post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
That's the crossover, not the FR.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Thanks! I would of course like every capacity, as far down as possible. Of course there is a problem with room size, since if I'm not wrong a 20 Hz wave is around 17 meters long. So will I even be able to hear that? The Q Acoustics sub is rated down to 50 Hz. Would there be a lot of music info below that?
Of course you can hear 20Hz in your room. Why wouldn't you? But there's precious little music content below 35Hz, and most is above 50Hz.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fatbottom, according to the website of the shop that has it here in Norway (going there Thursday) it is the FR, from 50-150 Hz. But I see on the website of Q Acoustics that you're right.

Bill, thanks! I'm really not that used to working in Hz, I have had everything controlled by automatic setups since they first came out... in the late 90's. There's nothing at all on the website about the actual frequency response. Wonder if it goes as far down as 35. Would it be likely in a dual 8" DSP controlled unit with Class D amp and a ported box?

post #7 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Fatbottom, according to the website of the shop that has it here in Norway (going there Thursday) it is the FR, from 50-150 Hz.
That is the range of the built in low pass filter, not the frequency response. Nothing on their website shows actual frequency response but with a 50Hz minimum low pass frequency it must go considerably lower than that.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Then I suppose it should be able to take just about everything necessary, thanks! Going to listen to it tomorrow in the showroom and then order it, if I like it.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Turned out that I had misread the measures on the sub. It's too long, so I have to build something side firing myself. I'll try that Alpine 10" first.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers
Gear in this thread - 10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page